Vs Middlesbrough (home). Matchday thread.

Rev

• Replies 504
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, dcfcfan1 said:

Holmes turning out to be a player, bodes well for next season, frank making us play better in last 20 minutes of games recently with his subs...

Get one good CB next season and we could storm the league

Why are you stating storm the league, we could still go up this season. You have'nt written us off already ?

1 hour ago, coneheadjohn said:

Really pleased for Wisdom,I thought he might be broken when I saw him against the Wendies,MOTM for me.

Thought Jack did ok against that group of thugs.

THUGS, thats the word I used today to describe Pullis's team. When thinking of it that is always his tactics, bully the opponents out of their stride and stifle their play, hope for a goal and then try and hang on to it. I predict they will draw too many games and lose ground and not make the play offs.

46 minutes ago, Inglorius said:

It's far too simplistic to blame our lack of points purely against David Nugent, as you quite rightly say it's a team game and there's been many culprits just as guilty as Nugent of losing us points over the season. 

Unfortunately Nugent seems to have lost the knack of how to score this season. Today’s chance, amongst others already mentioned, would have been put away in previous campaigns. I’m not sure if it’s bad luck or that time is catching up with him. I believe his contact is up at the end of the season. No room for sentiment I’m afraid. Time to look elsewhere & move on.

25 minutes ago, coneheadjohn said:

Got some unfashionable opinions for you.

On Waghorn,I didn’t think he had much influence on the game until his last 10 minutes he was on when I thought he was coming into it.

Bad miss by Nuge but how long had he been on?And who’s going to come that’s better than him and play second fiddle?

What’s Will Hughes doing?

Do Watford really need him?

We were crying out for him to get hold of the ball and carry it ☹️☹️☹️

Will Hughes has been out injured but made a start in Watfords' last match - don't think there's anything doing there. Still think Barry Bannan would make a difference to how we play from the back.

1 hour ago, RedSmog said:

Thought you lot were lucky to get a point tbh

Derby never looked anything like the team we were expecting, but the Boro defence looked class today ?

Stating that your defence did well, smacks of you are trying to cling on to some belief that your team will be ok. One major fact in football is that= If you do not score more than the opposition you will not win matches. Your teams 28 goals scored is a major fact that, if you don't pick up in the scoring department you will end up with a big percentage of draws. That style will not keep you in the play offs when in the business end of the season other teams will pick up and push on

Just now, Wolfie20 said:

Will Hughes has been out injured but made a start in Watfords' last match - don't think there's anything doing there. Still think Barry Bannan would make a difference to how we play from the back.

I was dreaming on Will,I’d forgot about Bannan and he would be brilliant plus Wednesday have to sell...low fee but high wages?

Not often I venture my opinion on matches. Saturday v Canaries proves that not many of us have a clue how it's going to go. 

However, today is Jan 1st, I didn't enjoy getting dragged into Pulisball match at all, and yet I feel so positive moving forward. Next few months crucial. Like to think that the board and fans are delighted with our young manager so far. Fresh players, try to play. Attack minded players brought in. Personally I was at the end of my boredom threshold watching Rowett. It's not much to watch. No wonder Boro fans grumbling at TP. 

We do seem to struggle with more direct teams and lose our way a bit. Mount and Wilson are super young players and so enjoyable to watch but we need another senior midfielder to guide them and drive them on. I don't think Hudds or Bryson åre that. I'd have an ask about Danny Drinkwater on loan with view to buy if promoted. We are a few more consistent performances away from top 2 which I did not think we would get anywhere near this season. 

Pity not to get all 3 today but soooo much better to watch. And I thought it was more a red card than yellow for Savalle. 

Happy New Year all... Let's go stuff Dirty Leeds in their own back yard next. 

16 minutes ago, plymouthram said:

THUGS, thats the word I used today to describe Pullis's team. When thinking of it that is always his tactics, bully the opponents out of their stride and stifle their play, hope for a goal and then try and hang on to it. I predict they will draw too many games and lose ground and not make the play offs.

It was almost like they’d asked for his dinner money and he’d refused.

I even thought they were missing the footballing ability of Ryan Shotton.

I have ended up very happy with today's result, despite us not capitalising on teams near us dropping points. Regardless of the dropped points, the effort and commitment of the team was tremendous.

It was probably the best start to the match we could have hoped for, and for virtually all of the first half we were in control of the match. Middlesborough did work their way into a spell of better possession towards the end of the half, but never really threatened. I felt the ref was pretty decent as well, a feeling which is pretty rare for me, and many of us Rams fans! The only thing he got wrong was the yellow card to Saville for his wicked, potential season-ending challenge on Marriott. In reality Saville should have been given two more yellow cards in the second half, but y then the only yellow on show was the ref's belly. His performance flipped almost 180 degrees in the first 20 minutes of the second half, letting a umber of bad challenges, shirt pulls and pushes go unchallenged, apart from giving a free-kick against Marriott after he had been shirt-pulled to the ground. During this passage of play, it was almost as if Pullis himself was on the pitch. He had a go at Keogh after he had been hauled to the ground, so Keogh stood up and bellowed back at him. Top man, Keogh!!! That was followed by chants of "You're just a **** Gary Rowett".

What turned the game was Wilson going off. It may have been the way Lampard used Tom Huddlestone when he came on, or simply that the loss had got to our heads, but it let Middlesborough gain the upper hand. They scored with their only shot on target, but could have had more when we gifted them a couple of unmarked headers. But gradually we got ourselves back into the match, and the introduction of Holmes changed the match again, with Derby pushing forwards with great urgency for the last 20 minutes or so. The miss by Nugent was a blow, but it is typical Nugent. He adds a lot when he comes on to the pitch, but in all the years he has been plying his trade he has always needed between 3 and 5 chances before scoring, so I wasn't surprised when he whacked the ball straight at their keeper. In this last section, the ref decided he was going to be even-handed once more by dishing out bizarre decisions in equal doses to both sides!

Wisdom had a tremendous match at left back, Josefzoon played better than the last couple of matches, almost as though he is playing his way back in again. Evans was very effective, and it is good that he brings a steadiness and calmness to the team. Holmes was exciting when he came on, and seemed to be all over the pitch, getting a lot of the ball, and making great used of it.

So although it is two points dropped, it was good to see the team giving their all, and playing at a better tempo. It is also good to see the back of the dozy attitude which we saw too much of in December, and am sure that the fans would much rather see today's attitude with the result we got, than the half-hearted stuff of recent weeks.

Right - Southampton next !

Archived