Vs Middlesbrough (home). Matchday thread.

Rev

2 minutes ago, McLovin said:

That’s nice an all except for the fact half the squad’s contracts are up at the end of the season and Tomori, Wilson and Mount will be going to back to their parent clubs. If anything, I think this season was the last throw of the dice and the real rebuild starts in the summer.

So you're saying that if we don't go up via the play offs this summer then this season will have been a failure?

• Replies 504
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, McLovin said:

That’s nice an all except for the fact half the squad’s contracts are up at the end of the season and Tomori, Wilson and Mount will be going to back to their parent clubs. If anything, I think this season was the last throw of the dice and the real rebuild starts in the summer.

Yes I agree, we should spend big in January if FFP allows IMO as next season will be harder with  us being reliant on Loans and a poo ton of players will leave. If we don't go up this season we may be looking at 2-3 years of slowly rebuilding the squad unfortunately.

Same thing happened last season when we had a good spell results wise under Rowett and people said it’s a sign of a good team even though stats such as the much hated expected goals suggested otherwise. Poor performances eventually catch up with you. McClaren was of the view that if you play well, good results will often follow anyway.

For Rowett read Clement too.

Amazing recovery against Norwich, point against a battle hardened Boro....difficult to not look like a moaning minnie if you are critical....but performances have been very patchy. Didn't go today so basing it on radio/here. 

Frank gets my support for the season regardless, and maybe hopes have been raised out of proportion.  Lots of deadwood on big wages...be nice to get shot and get a few in as his signings have been brilliant thus far. 

3 minutes ago, Inglorius said:

So you're saying that if we don't go up via the play offs this summer then this season will have been a failure?

Behind the scenes that’s probably what they will be thinking yeah. Of course they don’t to put unnecessary pressure on by saying our only target is promotion this season so they will say otherwise. 

Just now, RedSmog said:

Thought you lot were lucky to get a point tbh

Derby never looked anything like the team we were expecting, but the Boro defence looked class today ?

I am glad you enjoy watching that then, we don’t moan but we are missing about 6 players with bad injuries so we are not doing to bad and with all your premiership failure money you should be tearing up the league shouldn’t you? 

2 minutes ago, RedSmog said:

Derby never looked anything like the team we were expecting, but the Boro defence looked class today ?

You’ll probably get a bit of hate but I agree. You’re a strong physical side who know how to get the job done. Wouldn’t like to face you in the play offs tbh if we get there. Teams are rarely expansive in the play offs which instantly affects us as we struggle when we aren’t free flowing whereas I get the sense that you guys can dig a result out even if you don’t play well.

1 minute ago, McLovin said:

You’ll probably get a bit of hate but I agree. You’re a strong physical side who know how to get the job done. Wouldn’t like to face you in the play offs tbh if we get there. Teams are rarely expansive in the play offs which instantly affects us as we struggle when we aren’t free flowing whereas I get the sense that you guys can dig a result out even if you don’t play well.

Wait, you agree with him that we were lucky to get a point? Come on now .... other than the 2 goals, a chance for Batth and a chance for Nugent, there really wasn't much action near either goal

Climb out.

Was it only me who though Bogle was poor? For the goal, it came about after school boy defending as he had a chance to clear into touch but did a terrible clearance instead which put us on the back foot for the next few minutes, he put in one half decent cross all match  and was very wasteful on many occasions, and at the same time he did nothing to stop the cross coming in for the goal as per usual. This sounds harsh on an 18 year old of course, but if we want to go up or even finish Top 6 we can't be having players playing at a level that would only be good enough for a relegation fighting/lower midtable championship team. I also thought Waghorn and Jozefoon were disappointing, but it wasn't all negative as Holmes looked very good when he came on and Evan showed promise with some good passing and defensive abilities.

Just now, Cam the Ram said:

Wait, you agree with him that we were lucky to get a point? Come on now .... other than the 2 goals, a chance for Batth and a chance for Nugent, there really wasn't much action near either goal

Not that bit, I meant the bit that he expected us to be better. Neither side deserved to win

4 minutes ago, RedSmog said:

Thought you lot were lucky to get a point tbh ?

Apart from your goal and a little spell after that Boro didn't offer much and never looked in danger of winning either. Boro were exactly the team we expected (4 players needing treatment in the first half, Wilson had to be subbed and Marriott was clearly not himself second half) and for the most part we stood up to you. Had anyone but Nuge had that chance we'd be talking a different result. So yeah, stay classy in defence, and we'll see you in the play offs (probably)

Move along, nothing to see apart from recognising that Pretty footballing side got mildly hamstrung, but not gutted, by some agricultural grunts with a good defensive record. It’s the championship, this is what happens.

need a bit more goal power but happy to hear that Wisdom is a proper footballer. ( which we all knew anyway ) 

meanwhile ... who’s up for the cup ? 

COYR 

Just now, WAGHORNY RAM99 said:

Was it only me who though Bogle was poor? For the goal, it came about after school boy defending as he had a chance to clear into touch but did a terrible clearance instead which put us on the back foot for the next few minutes, he put in one half decent cross all match  and was very wasteful on many occasions, and at the same time he did nothing to stop the cross coming in for the goal as per usual. This sounds harsh on an 18 year old of course, but if we want to go up or even finish Top 6 we can't be having players playing at a level that would only be good enough for a relegation fighting/lower midtable championship team. I also thought Waghorn and Jozefoon were disappointing, but it wasn't all negative as Holmes looked very good when he came on and Evan showed promise with some good passing and defensive abilities.

Thought he was good going forward like he normally is and you could see him getting quite frustrated at the lack of movement ahead of him. He had an even tougher day today because Waghorn frequently moved inside leaving Bogle to try and create something on his own down our right. But I agree with you about him defensively .... it feels like it's been months now that there's been criticism for the full backs for not stopping the crosses coming in and today was no different. I'm not sure if he's worried about the winger/full back beating him and getting into the box or something, but something needs to change because Keogh and Tomori are facing what feels like 20+ crosses a game 

7 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

If next season is a rebuild, it's one based on:

Marriott, Holmes, Waghorn, Lawrence, Bogel, Lowe, Evans so would need some defenders and midfielders for sure, but I'd imagain we'd still be a decent outfit.

Add to that Luke Thomas , Bird and Sibley I'd agree more than competitive.

Archived