Does Lampard need to strengthen the squad in January?

Day

January Transfer Window  

190 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Unless you're top of the league by 15 points in January, then there's a need to strengthen. I don't think we should be bringing players in for the sake of it, but if there's a player available who will improve our squad then why not? Even players like Jerome, who splits opinion, was brought in in January and he did improve our squad. Without him I don't think we'd have made the top six last season.

Being overly picky, I would say we need a better back-up GK, a first choice RB, another LB whether it's back-up or first choice (Lowe recall maybe?) and another mobile midfielder because I don't want us to become overly reliant on Mount.

I don't think this squad would be upset by any new additions either, there seems to be a great atmosphere and relationship based on the videos the club's been putting up. Even exiled players like Alex Pearce seem to be really enjoying themselves. Players leave and join clubs so often, it would be strange for a player to negatively react to new signings. Competition for places is a good thing.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

RB and a CM. Wisdom is apparently not fancied and Jayden can't play 46 games plus cup runs Tomori is a plausible option as cover if Davies forces his way back into the side. I think that Hudds, Evans and Thorne are cover enough for CDM so a goalscoring mid would be be my 2nd pick. I'd leave it there as there's not a whole lot that needs fixing. Reckon it's a fine tune if anything, not an engine out job. COYR

A RB like fredericks on loan from West Ham I'd suggest would see us with a greater chance of going up whilst also taking some pressure off Bogle. If there is noone of that quality available then I'd rather leave it. 

A goalkeeper that can kick the ball to someone on our team whilst being fairly handy at keeping the ball out of the goal. If this isn't available for less than ludicrous money then Carson is more than adequate. 

Other than that, we have quite a big squad. 

Carson/x 

Bogle/x    Tomori/Davies/Keogh/Pearce   Malone/(Lowe?) 

Huddlestone/Evans/Johnson

Bryson/Mount/Holmes/Wilson/Johnson

Flojo/Waghorn/Wilson/Lawrence/Holmes

Marriott/Waghorn/Nugent

Can we improve on those in bold/can we afford to improve on those in bold? If not then I think we're good to go.

I don’t think we are in desperate need of signings like we were a few years ago in my opinion where the weaknesses were there for all to see when players got injured.

The two positions I’d like to see an improvement in are right back and I’d also like to see a midfielder who can control a game in the advancement midfield roles. Mount, Wilson, Holmes, Bryson are solid, but they are all very similar in that they like to bomb forward and none of them really control the midfield. This will be key later on in the season in the high octane games. Huddlestone can do that but he’s a deep lying midfielder. If Huddlestone was struggling in a game, can any of those players drop back and control a game alongside him? I’m not really sure. An “inform” Butterfield would fulfil this role but his career here looks just about done.

As a manager if you can get someone in who is better than  who you have already, at the right price , then you do it, but no point buying for the sake of it, we have players coming back from injury, let's leave it to Frank and his back room staff, he knows what he is doing, we could even be top 2 come January. It's going to be close division this year.

Strengthen being the operative word.Any improvement in any position would be a bonus.Don't believe we have to bring anyone out of urgency but should consider any opportunity to replace any loan signings that may no no longer be with us next season.

43 minutes ago, Leicester Ram said:

Surprised by calls for a new RB, I think Wisdom (when he’s match sharp) and Bogle are both good enough.

Both different enough from each other to offer us different tactical set-ups.

We need a reliable more box to box CM in my eyes and a LB now Fozzy’s unfortunately done for the year

Sorry but neither Bogle nor Wisdom are good enough.

Bogle because he still had lots to learn about defending, Wisdom because he has gone from being a strong defender to a lumbering robot, bereft of confidence.

When you are fitting two ball players into your midfield and have a front three you need strong defenders.

Malone is more of a wing back so the right back has to be strong.

I think we should bring back Max Lowe in for cover for Malone, with Forsyth long term injury and I don't know when Marcus Olsson is going to be available. Also bring back Luke Thomas seeing we have lost Mason Bennett. Strengthening the squad is probably required, looking beyond this season, I.E. : We lose Harry Wilson, Mason Mount and Tomori. So we need to bring in young midfielders plus a couple of young centrebacks (one would do if we could sign Tomari on a perm deal). Then looking at the other side of things, we need to off load some players that are not in Frank's plans. I am looking at Butterfield, Anya and Chris Martin. Don't know about George Thorne, is he in Frank's plans, does anyone know whats happening with him?

Can't sit back this window, last year we were content with the squad we had and it cost us as the rest of the top six added quality to kick on looking at afobe/grabban/mitrovic to name but a few. We've had a really good start but we cant watch others strengthen and not add real quality our selfs. I'd be hoping we can sign another top striker on loan of similar quality to get goals in tight games - January for me isn't about thinking about future prospects... they need to come in and make an impact from day one. Not a very plausible list but strikers like;

Sharp - Would pay over the odds for someone of his age but you know he will score 

Bonatini - only 7 apps no goals this season but very good last year in the championship

Jannson - at spurs no apps this season 

Just don't let others progress whilst we stay the same would be the lesson learned from last Jan.

Archived