Derby County v Aston Villa Match Thread

AmericanRam

Having just watched the highlights, Grealish and McGinn both very influential. Would love McGinn in our midfield, thought he looked really good.

Not sure if anyone has commented on this but i was really surprised that Holmes was taken off, I thought he was our best player. Instead Lawrence went to play just off Marriott. Not a Lawrence hater but we were playing with ten men with him still on the pitch.

• Replies 543
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 hours ago, FindernRam said:

Having thought about it overnight, I am sticking with my original thoughts when I saw the team. It was not strong enough to beat Villa particularly in mid field. It was crying out for Johnson from the start, then when it began to go wrong late first half Frank should have seen the writing and shuffled the pack. Then when we are obviously chasing the game Malone was a weird choice. The defence just looked confused and Grealish who had been anonymous first half started to have the run of pride park. 

Some players were really bad but I think the main issue was poor team selection and tactics!  Sorry Frank--I still like you.

We did look really lightweight in midfield, and also very leggy, especially in the second half, they seemed to have another gear, we didn't.  Plus they were very smart to sit Abraham on Huddlestone whenever the back four had the ball, nothing was able to go through him so we struggled to control the ball.  Johnson would've certainly given us a bit more muscle and tenacity.

22 hours ago, LazloW said:

You win some, you lose some - premature to read anything else into it or go in for the type of naval gazing over analysis that blights modern football fandom (note, the emphasis on over analysis, not analysis - there is always going to be debate about who played well, who didn't play well etc.  Its the 'season defining' type stuff and the sofa-punditry that 'does my head in' - so many experts tweeting RD on the way home yesterday about tactics and managerial naivety and that kind of guff.  Very few pointing out that Villa played better the we did in the second half... and for me, that is all it comes down to.  Disappointing performance overall with some poor individual performances thrown in against a team full of good players.  A poor 45 minutes.   Nothing more, nothing less.

It pains me to say it, because I think their sense of entitlement outstrips even duckst's, but I thought they were the better team in both halves.  McGinn & Abraham especially oozed quality.  Christ even Hutton looked good, but I think that was more to do with Lawrence having one of those games he seems to have every once in a while.  With the squad they've got, it only takes a good manager to turn them into challengers.  Looks like they have that now in Dean Smith.

Some other thoughts - 

Crowd was crap, hardly mustered anything.  And the constant abusing of Forsyth whenever he misplaced a pass was bad.  At least he gave it away trying to influence the game, there were too many players playing it safe, especially 2nd half.

Wilson looked very frustrated, ran his socks off trying to make things happen.

Marriott is still the future, some of his little touches into runners were brilliant.  Just a shame the ball didn't quite come down for him in the 1st half.  Although it didn't help that he was swamped by their centre halves.

Mcginn looks like a massive missed opportunity for us. Not sure how close we got to signing him in the summer, but I can imagine him in the premier league with or without Villa next season.

As for the rest of the their squad, they are on paper the best team in the league, they will be up there at the end of the season.

2 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Playing devils advocate here but we didn't need to go to Fulham and win.

Rowett showed no confidence in our team from the start of that game. We managed to get a smash and grab at home...and went to Fulham with the attitude that they were much better and we could only hope for the best. No Vydra, No Palmer. No creativity. We lost that game because of Rowett.  

1 hour ago, chadlad said:

Having just watched the highlights, Grealish and McGinn both very influential. Would love McGinn in our midfield, thought he looked really good.

Not sure if anyone has commented on this but i was really surprised that Holmes was taken off, I thought he was our best player. Instead Lawrence went to play just off Marriott. Not a Lawrence hater but we were playing with ten men with him still on the pitch.

Holmes was absolutely shattered after 60 mins

I thought the lot of them looked knackered from the start. This 2 week break will do them all good, but I wonder if the intensity that Frank wants them to play as well as train will cause them to burn out. Injuries to a lot of key players. Potentially Huddlestone, Mount, Bennett, Fozzy, Tomori and Waghorn. We cant afford for more injuries.

9 minutes ago, jimbobram said:

Rowett showed no confidence in our team from the start of that game. We managed to get a smash and grab at home...and went to Fulham with the attitude that they were much better and we could only hope for the best. No Vydra, No Palmer. No creativity. We lost that game because of Rowett.  

He tweaked his hamstring on approximately 10 minutes but carried on but was less effective.

Bennett did his hamstring worse by th looks of it. 

We are going down like flies at the moment. 

High intensity play equals more injuries 

2 minutes ago, Curtains said:

He tweaked his hamstring on approximately 10 minutes but carried on but was less effective.

Bennett did his hamstring worse by th looks of it. 

We are going down like flies at the moment. 

High intensity play equals more injuries 

Think you quoted the wrong one but I agree with ya

1 hour ago, jimbobram said:

We lost the game because we were up against a much better team. 

Agree that we did not give ourselves much chance of winning the game but probably a better chance of scraping a draw or 1 goal defeat. 

4 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

We lost the game because we were up against a much better team. 

Agree that we did not give ourselves much chance of winning the game but probably a better chance of scraping a draw or 1 goal defeat. 

Fulham are struggling in the Premiership which just shows the gap as they were playing great in the Championship.

Rowett made mistakes at Derby and lost most Derby fans on the way with so called Rowettball and the way he left wasn’t desirable which meant he got the nickname Snake. 

I wouldn’t defend him on here but he did bring some decent players and remove others to sort out the wage bill. 

Frank has done well and gone more for youth which is why I’m surprised he didn’t bring Max Bird on for injured Holmes on Saturday.

We are picking up injuries now which isn’t good.  

4 minutes ago, Curtains said:

Fulham are struggling in the Premiership which just shows the gap as they were playing great in the Championship.

Rowett made mistakes at Derby and lost most Derby fans on the way with so called Rowettball and the way he left wasn’t desirable which meant he got the nickname Snake. 

I wouldn’t defend him on here but he did bring some decent players and remove others to sort out the wage bill. 

Frank has done well and gone more for youth which is why I’m surprised he didn’t bring Max Bird on for injured Holmes on Saturday.

We are picking up injuries now which isn’t good.  

They are struggling because the money spent on new players was wasted and has taken them backwards.

Watched them against Huddersfield, they were awful and not a patch on last season.

I didn't particularly like Rowett but I will defend him against certain things/accusations. 

Unless we ever hear what MM wanted from GR then it is hard to judge his performance. Given all the things Mel had gone on about in previous seasons, I find it hard to understand how he allowed yet such another deviation from 'The Derby Way' unless it was a promotion at any cost type of season.

7 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

They are struggling because the money spent on new players was wasted and has taken them backwards.

Watched them against Huddersfield, they were awful and not a patch on last season.

I didn't particularly like Rowett but I will defend him against certain things/accusations. 

Unless we ever hear what MM wanted from GR then it is hard to judge his performance. Given all the things Mel had gone on about in previous seasons, I find it hard to understand how he allowed yet such another deviation from 'The Derby Way' unless it was a promotion at any cost type of season.

This is the thing Rowett was employed by MM and surely he had done his homework on what he did at Burton and Birmingham and is now doing at Stoke.  

Rowett chose to go to Stoke which wasn’t MM fault and I have no reason to think otherwise.

Franks appointment looks like a good decision but it’s still early days. 

People tell me to enjoy the ride but I hope we don’t get derailed.

I don’t just post when we lose and I go to all the games at home and a lot away and the U23s also  

I want Derby to do well end of  .

PS Maybe it would of been a massive struggle in the Premiership so it’s better we didn’t go up  

5 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Playing devils advocate here but we didn't need to go to Fulham and win.

Nope but it was pretty clear we'd need a goal at their place. You know the rest. We did not capitulate against Villa, we just set up wrong and played poorly, in the second half. My initial feeling was that we had rather given them the game second half but on reflection I think that was an unfair appraisal. For sure we didn't turn up as whipped dogs before a ball was kicked and that's the point @Remy the hare was making.

5 minutes ago, B4ev6is said:

Thats enough of this negative talk Derby will get our lads rested and be ready for shiffield wednesday but villa were dirty cheating side kicked our players to death I was not impressed by villa not one bit.

That's that then no more till shiffield, forum closed by b4.

8 minutes ago, B4ev6is said:

Thats enough of this negative talk Derby will get our lads rested and be ready for shiffield wednesday but villa were dirty cheating side kicked our players to death I was not impressed by villa not one bit.

No they didn't. They played us off the park and won fair and square. Credit where credit is due.

17 minutes ago, B4ev6is said:

You pooh-pooh the negativity, B4, but then you come on here to announce all of our players have been kicked to death!  I wasn't too downbeat after Saturday, but your post has put a real downer on today now!  Absolutely gutted!

1 hour ago, HorsforthRam said:

Walking the dog this morning in Leeds and I came across my Leeds supporting mate walking his...

Him : Don’t say  it..

Me : I know! I was at ours..

Him : It’s so topsy turvy 

Me : Yeah. Brilliant isn’t it?

Him : Yeah

Its a great league. Enjoy it

I love losing 3-0 at home .

Great entertainment 

Archived