Derby County v Aston Villa Match Thread

AmericanRam

36 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

A result like that was never too far away, but this particular one had an air of predictability.

Firstly, you can always count on Derby to make a mid-table also-ran look better than they do for 44 other games in the season.

Secondly, Dean Smith was taking an opposing team to Pride Park for the second time in two months, and the first time his team were well beaten, so he wouldn't have needed to do any homework on our team. With better players at his disposal this time around, it was always going to be a more difficult game for us.

Thirdly, if you look at the form and the calibre of our recent opposition before Saturday - we have played in-form teams or teams you would expect to be competing at the business end of the table. We were always going to run out of steam or have an off day sooner or later after giving so much to put this unbeaten run together.

Some may argue that Villa are in a false position and Saturday was evidence of that. But I disagree. This is just the nature of the Championship - all bar one or two teams struggle for genuine consistency in a highly competitive division. Anyone can beat anyone on any given day and that's why we've lost 5 in 17 and still find ourselves comfortably in the top six. 

One loss is not make or break for us, unless we want to be serious contenders. Let’s be honest, we were probably expecting to lose 1 or 2 of the previous 6 games before Saturday’s.

So this is just one we should take on the chin and not dissect too greatly. If we were at full strength and at full flow, different story. But we’ve picked up a few injuries to key players and we have had a pretty taxing schedule of late, so it’s probably worth just having a glass of wine and forgetting about Saturday.

If we begin to lose more regularly, well then it's time to panic.

Edited. Fell asleep while posting. ?

• Replies 543
  • Created
  • Last Reply

FL nailed it in his post match interview when he said we were out worked and we have to work harder to win games.

JS Simplicity is Genius.

FL.......So when TL makes a lazy pass to a team mate 6 yards away and puts his fellow team mate under pressure unnecessarily and then lazily reacts to race back to win the ball back or tries to put pressure on the oppositions attack by working harder to get back and resolve a situation he has caused then unfortunately we all watch as Aston Villa score and then we all suffer together whilst watching TL grab the bottom of his shirt frustrated when such could have been and should of been avoided if we work harder.

JS......So when @Inverurie Ram feels like a pie and bovril after 30 minutes and nips to the back of the East Stand with a pocket full of coinage and notes he would like to spend and all of a sudden has to jump around like Mike Reid's runaround from kiosk to kiosk in the search of being able to spend his cash on a pie only as I don't like being dictated too by only having a pay by card only option to buy a poxy bovrill!!!, so as more money stayed in my pocket and did for the rest of the game when I would have bought more snacks, and instead of DCFC not taking more money from me, this is not simple and is not genius. The customer deserves choice, the customer is always right. Cash is King!

The following videos are dedicated to @froggg

21 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Soft decisions went against us all game. Our players couldn’t get anywhere near them first half without the red blowing his whistle. Frank obviously told the players to stand off them at half time to not give the ref an excuse. That in turn effected how we play and the result went from a 50:50 game to a one-sided affair

The problem with statements like "the ref influenced the game" is that it is easy to go looking for the "big decisions", like the one which resulted in Chelsea's third goal. It isn't as though the ref rose majestically above our defence to head home a pin-point cross. Quite often, the influence is more subtle, more nuanced. Saturday is a case in point. There weren't any single, specific incident, more a succession of them, both throughout the entire match, and also a succession of single decisions one after another, such s led up to the first Villa goal. Whether or not Frank told them to back off or not I don't know, and very few will. But it doesn't need such an instruction, more a gradual wearing down of resolve until it seems that there is no point in making firm challenges. However, this doesn't take away from our sluggish start to the second half, and our failure to up the pace.

19 hours ago, DavesaRam said:

The problem with statements like "the ref influenced the game" is that it is easy to go looking for the "big decisions", like the one which resulted in Chelsea's third goal. It isn't as though the ref rose majestically above our defence to head home a pin-point cross. Quite often, the influence is more subtle, more nuanced. Saturday is a case in point. There weren't any single, specific incident, more a succession of them, both throughout the entire match, and also a succession of single decisions one after another, such s led up to the first Villa goal. Whether or not Frank told them to back off or not I don't know, and very few will. But it doesn't need such an instruction, more a gradual wearing down of resolve until it seems that there is no point in making firm challenges. However, this doesn't take away from our sluggish start to the second half, and our failure to up the pace.

How about then villa player goes off injuried does not wait to be waved back on by ref just ran back which led to first goal 

Ref had a massive say

3-0 to ref

7 minutes ago, B4ev6is said:

How about then villa player goes off injuried does not wait to be waved back on by ref just ran back which led to first goal 

Ref had a massive say

3-0 to ref

Not saying it didn't happen but, I don't remember that incident.

Let it go B4. After a fairly even first half we were well beaten by a much better side in the second half. The ref may not have been the best (it's a myth that we always suffer more than benefit from poor referees) but it really didn't have an impact on the result. Your passion is always admirable but sometimes you just have to accept we were second best. 

40 minutes ago, B4ev6is said:

Ref had a massive say

3-0 to ref

Agree that was poor refereeing, did not lead to the first goal though. Inability to stop a cross and an unmarked player led to the first goal.

6 minutes ago, B4ev6is said:

I dont think we were secound best at all only reason why they because fouled our players and ref kepted getting away with it.

Unfortunately people will not take your posts very seriously though when you post things like this.

Do you seriously not believe we were the second best team in the second half?

14 hours ago, B4ev6is said:

Seemed funny allowed on when cross about to come in.

What should have happened ref book player and award us free kick and then first goal not have happened and would have not scored.

Why would someone coming on at the halfway line when a cross is about to come in lead to a goal?

I actually agree that he should have been booked.

However, at the point that it happened it was wave of attack after wave of attack. Lots of people around me were commenting that it was only a matter of time before Villa scored.

14 hours ago, B4ev6is said:

Seemed funny allowed on when cross about to come in.

What should have happened ref book player and award us free kick and then first goal not have happened and would have not scored.

The incident you are on about did not lead to the first goal, when he came on Holmes tackled him and he went down "injured" again. Holmes then had the ball by the corner flag got taken ou by their CBt, no free kick so Holmes jumped up and pulled their players shirt who threw himself to the floor and won a free kick. 

The ref was terrible, but he played no part in any of the goals. 2 of the goals start with us giving the ball away sloppily. 

1 hour ago, G STAR RAM said:

Why would someone coming on at the halfway line when a cross is about to come in lead to a goal?

I actually agree that he should have been booked.

However, at the point that it happened it was wave of attack after wave of attack. Lots of people around me were commenting that it was only a matter of time before Villa scored.

We were about to break away on the counter, he ran on and intercepted...

1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Yes I do remember that and, as stated, that should have been a booking. Would be interesting to hear the referee's version of events there.

Don't remember it leading directly to their goal though? 

1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

17 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Yes I do remember that and, as stated, that should have been a booking. Would be interesting to hear the referee's version of events there.

That's how I remember it, but assumed the sighs, groans and boo's were for the ref (not the player), for presumably waving him on at an inappropriate time (position of play).  Must admit I didn't see the ref wave him on, but presumed he had, otherwise it's a clear booking, and no ref in the world would allow it... or so I thought!

2 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

My comment was referring specifically to "coming on at the halfway line when a cross is about to come in"

Archived