Derby County v Aston Villa Match Thread

AmericanRam

• Replies 543
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Having had a couple of days to reflect I would still say it was the 2nd half performance that was slightly troubling not the result.

Eg if one of Villa's chances had gone in in an even first half we would have been unlucky to go in one down. Then 2nd half if we had pushed on and been hit on the break...or Carson had been caught trying to dribble out or Keogh had over played etc..then 0-3 is the risk you take playing the way we have been playing.

But we didn't play that way...we were very slow on the ball and didn't commit players. The most worrying thing was how easy Villa found it to overload the fullbacks...Bogle and Forsyth were hopelessly exposed at times and Villa time and again had extra players receiving the ball and oh so easily advancing into the box.

The change from fast moving, busy interchanging midfield play  ...to stodgy, sloppy aimless football was night and day. 

Two weeks to roll up the sleeves, get players back on it, the walking wounded fit and look how well positioned we are and push on. Can't wait already!!!

41 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Derby v Aston Villa. They didn't need to kick us to death, they outplayed us as the only pass we seemed to utilise was the long ball to Marriott who had nobody within 20 yards of him.

How about foul Mason Bennett took him out ref just stood waved play on not even freaking booking 

Craig Forsyth got pushed over linesmen right by did sodd all to him.

30 minutes ago, B4ev6is said:

How about foul Mason Bennett took him out ref just stood waved play on not even freaking booking 

Craig Forsyth got pushed over linesmen right by did sodd all to him.

Ok so maybe the ref missed a few fouls, but if you think they 'kicked us to death' or that it had any major affect on the result, you are living in cloud cuckoo land. We couldn't get near them in the second half and I don't think we created a single chance.

1 hour ago, G STAR RAM said:

Ok so maybe the ref missed a few fouls, but if you think they 'kicked us to death' or that it had any major affect on the result, you are living in cloud cuckoo land. We couldn't get near them in the second half and I don't think we created a single chance.

Ref was utterly dire, but his impact on the result was minimal. The free kick they scored was very soft so maybe we’d have only lost 2-0. Hooray.

5 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Ref was utterly dire, but his impact on the result was minimal. The free kick they scored was very soft so maybe we’d have only lost 2-0. Hooray.

Says a lot as to how badly we were battered that a ref can have such a horrendous performance and still have a minimal impact on our defeat.

2 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Were is the problem? Saturday’s second half performance? The last 5 games? Frank’s period in charge?

I did sit in the camp of Frank was a poor appointment, big name, no experience that would flop. However I am glad now that I think personally I was wrong. Not taking into account some of the stuff we played at times vs WBA, Boro, Chelsea, etc. all his signings both permanent and loans have made a positive impact (minus Evans who has been injured). Also his general persona I’ve been impressed with when handling the media. 

You can rake over Saturday’s second half performance all you like, but I believe we are going in a miles better direction than under our previous 4 / 5 managers. 

We did create chances mate even in the 2nd half harry wilson should have scored when it threared through to him all he had to do was just lift it over the keeper. 

Also when there players going down rolling all over the place does the ref pull there players up like he did with ours. For me this is bad ref.

16 minutes ago, Remy the hare said:

Were is the problem? Saturday’s second half performance? The last 5 games? Frank’s period in charge?

I did sit in the camp of Frank was a poor appointment, big name, no experience that would flop. However I am glad now that I think personally I was wrong. Not taking into account some of the stuff we played at times vs WBA, Boro, Chelsea, etc. all his signings both permanent and loans have made a positive impact (minus Evans who has been injured). Also his general persona I’ve been impressed with when handling the media. 

You can rake over Saturday’s second half performance all you like, but I believe we are going in a miles better direction than under our previous 4 / 5 managers. 

My problem was with the sour grapes post that makes us look like bad losers. No shame in holding up your hands and saying the better team on the day won.

16 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

My problem was with the sour grapes post that makes us look like bad losers. No shame in holding up your hands and saying the better team on the day won.

I dont think they were good at all I dont rate them just like leeds they are not that good.

15 minutes ago, B4ev6is said:

I dont think they were good at all I dont rate them just like leeds they are not that good.

They were better than us on Saturday. There are a lot of factors that can effect games at Championship level and a lot of the time if you don’t turn up the opposition will punish you. Examples Leeds beat us we beat West Brom, West Brom beat Leeds. Which is the better team?

1 hour ago, Millenniumram said:

Soft decisions went against us all game. Our players couldn’t get anywhere near them first half without the red blowing his whistle. Frank obviously told the players to stand off them at half time to not give the ref an excuse. That in turn effected how we play and the result went from a 50:50 game to a one-sided affair

We began to lose it @55mins, but despite wave after wave of villa attacks we were still level until we made the kamikaze decision to push bogle forward as a wing back. All three villa goals then came from moves down their left; and without holmes we had absolutely nothing in midfield.

carson gave hourihane a huge target to aim at and deservedly got beaten on his near post for the third. 

One of the worst second half performances i've seen in a long time - and a very poor tactical switch.

lots of wounds to lick.

A result like that was never too far away, but this particular one had an air of predictability.

Firstly, you can always count on Derby to make a mid-table also-ran look better than they do for 44 other games in the season.

Secondly, Dean Smith was taking an opposing team to Pride Park for the second time in two months, and the first time his team were well beaten, so he wouldn't have needed to do any homework on our team. With better players at his disposal this time around, it was always going to be a more difficult game for us.

Thirdly, if you look at the form and the calibre of our recent opposition before Saturday - we have played in-form teams or teams you would expect to be competing at the business end of the table. We were always going to run out of steam or have an off day sooner or later after giving so much to put this unbeaten run together.73

Some may argue that Villa are in a false position and Saturday was evidence of that. But I disagree. This is just the nature of the Championship - all bar one or two teams struggle for genuine consistency in a highly competitive division. Anyone can beat anyone on any given day and that's why we've lost 5 in 17 and still find ourselves comfortably in the top six. 

One loss is not make or break for us, unless we want to be serious   if we begin to lose more regularly, well then it's time to panic.

Archived