V Middlesbrough (A) Match Thread

Millenniumram

• Replies 434
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 25/10/2018 at 09:25, Millenniumram said:

Saturday 27th October 12:30 KO

Well boys and girls, the millennium ram era of match day threads certainly reached a new high last match, told you all you just need a little patience through the draws?. Another bloody tough trip up next to pulis’ Middlesbrough, two words so depressing I can barely write them together. We know exactly what we’re in for here, ruthlessly efficient attacking and solid defending. Gotta be well alert, particulary at set pieces, as well as being creative enough to break down the leagues best defence. All at a ground where we’ve one only once in my lifetime, in about 15 attempts. So alls Boding well, clearly, even more so when I’ll probably be watching in a pub in York where us derby fans are more then likely outnumbered...

I would suspect the old adage of never change a winning team will be on the minds of most of you, and Lampard as well, it’s difficult for anyone to argue that whole team doesn’t deserve this game after such a great performance, me included. I will however be slightly controversial. This game comes less than 72 hours after the end of the last one, and the energy expended in that last game will no doubt have left some tired legs. Add in this really being a totally different challenge, a very well known different and pretty well perfected style of play, and I think we may need a few changes if we’re going to get the three points here as well have to employ a rather different strategy, tho naturally telling the players rested that it’s purely that and nothing to do with form, and after this game things will be different:

Carson

Wisdom Keogh Davies Malone

Huddlestone

Mount Johnson

Wilson Nugent Lawrence

Our best chance of getting the win here is a solid defence, and a team capable of countering. We’re going to face a  big aerial threat, hence the switch to a taller back 4, and our best chance of scoring is likely to be the quick counter and press, hence the addition of Nugent and moving Wilson out wide. Don’t expect that to happen by any stretch, but I think the difference in the style of boro compared to our previous opponents mustn’t go unnoticed. It’s very rare to advocate such a change to suit one match, but boro are so well drilled in their style and have such quality they need to be taken very seriously.

What does everyone else think?

You are dead right Sir. I would keep Marriot in though. It will be worlds away from wednesday at West Brom: I'd be happy with a point though I suspect we will under the cosh for long periods: a winter's day, North Sea wind, Pulis & that bloody cap, boring, stale, percentage football by the home side....I'm shuddering at the thought. A point will do me. 

On 25/10/2018 at 14:45, Carl Sagan said:

Everyone will be playing for their places at Stamford Bridge, knowing that if they win through at Boro then they get to prove themselves again on an even bigger stage. It's a great incentive. Those saying they would have snapped your hand off for six points from this run of three games, that's not how the Championship works. Every game is a challenge. Everyone is hard to beat, whether top or bottom. Every game is there to be won. Promotion is not made from accepting a draw. We have to take the game to them because that's how we play best, and test our rampaging Norman cavalry against their well-organized and determined Saxon shield wall. Against Sheffield United, it was hilarious that the Sky commentators were just in the process of saying how compact and brilliantly organied our opponents were looking at the exact moment we unpicked them for the winner.

The TV schedules hae been cruel. An early kickoff after a long trip to Teesside when the home team have had an extra day's rest and we exerted ourselves massively on Wednesday night, all work against us - a little like Harold's long march to Hastings back in October 1066. But when you're young and you're winning you have boundless energy so I think we'll be OK. Can Malone play two games so quickly? I'd have no qualms bringing Fozzy back in if Scotty need a rest - they're both excellent left backs. Otherwise the same team goes again. We're becoming stronger and it's a good position to be in, when we have the luxury of the immense captai of men, Curtis Davies, on the bench.

Come on you Rams!

Exactly @Carl Sagan; what did the Romans ever do for us? {ok, apart from under-floor heating?}. And what about Magna Carta? Did she die in vain?

I am really not worried about today. Prior to Wednesday i was a bit worried, thinking 2 points would be a great return from these two games. We got 3 already, today doesnt matter as much now, be nice to get a result, if we got 3 i think i would really start to believe. But I wont be too upset with a loss provided we dont get hammered.

Toughest game of the season. Boro are an upgraded Bolton, Rotherham, Millwall etc, teams we did sod all against. In some ways sheff Utd and West Brom suited the team because they were attacking which meant there was more space to counter attack.

Tony Pulis won’t set up his team as they did and will set up his team to reduce individual errors. I hate playing against shithouse managers like these.

They’ll go for the the snake house no doubt about it!

Lets hope we can find a way through and grab a goal as their defensive record is very good. Got to watch the sucker punch on the break and utilise those subs as there will be some tired legs second half

Archived