V Middlesbrough (A) Match Thread

Millenniumram

19 minutes ago, Rampage said:

Boro game sums up Lampard's input. Our players expect to win this game. Our fans expect at least a draw. Possibility that we could cut them to ribbons if we score early. We can afford to drop points here but our players ate hungry to win. We are 12/1 to win this League but surely less if we win tomorrow. The most amazing thing to me is that Lampard signed 9 players to make a team play like we did against WBA but what does the future hold when we have money to spend and every young player wants to come to us and play for Frank? Bring it on. 

Who will Frank let go at Xmas and in the summer and who will he sign? COYR??

Jody said that the team which started the first game of the season wouldn't be the one that's starting now, but the transition has been so gradual I hadn't noticed. Initially people had questioned Frank's signings because they weren't getting in the team, but when I checked the WBA starting lineup, only Carson, Bogle, Keogh, Huddlestone and Lawrence were at the club last season, with Bogle nowhere near the first team. Wow!

As you say, it's not just the personnel and approach on the field that's changed, it's the attitude of the fans too. Exemplified by the unity on the forum, mentioned elsewhere. The future looks bright, thanks to Super Frankie Lampard - what a guy!

• Replies 434
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Before the Sheffield United game I was thinking 4 points from this week would be a good return for what is a tough three fixtures. So, for me, there's not a huge amount of pressure on this game. I think this should stand us in good stead if anything.

I'd happily take a point today, but think we have every chance of getting all three. It'll be a good test that's for sure.

18 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

I'd take someones hand off if they offered us a point today. 7 points from the three games we have had would be immense.

If I was offered 7 points at the start off the week I would have been very happy with that return, but after Boro drawing 0 0 with Rotherham and being booed off and the manner of our win vs west Brom I think we will win today, so I would be slightly disappointed with a draw. Especially as we have the chance to go top.

2 minutes ago, RamLad1884 said:

Go for the three points, setting out for a draw will invite pressure and we'll ultimately crumble. Would rather lose 4-3 after an open attacking game than a drab 1-0 loss for trying to play defensive. 

I 'm 110% confident we will go all out for the win and try and play on the front foot

I’m in Spain for the weekend with some expat friends, fortunately the “partners” are all going shopping while the boys have Tapas, Vino tinto, beer, TV and a live game to watch

Top of the table at some point all being well 

hope Waghorn grabs one ??

COYR 

The reason I think we willl struggle today is that Pulis is pragmatic. He knows we struggle to break down teams that get behind the ball and he knows that if they come at us we can score goals. They will sit back, let us have the ball and hit us where we are weakest which is when we are physically under pressure from long balls and set pieces.

I really hope I am wrong and I doubt Frank will change our approach, but I think Pulis will be a bit too canny for Frank at this point.

3 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

The reason I think we willl struggle today is that Pulis is pragmatic. He knows we struggle to break down teams that get behind the ball and he knows that if they come at us we can score goals. They will sit back, let us have the ball and hit us where we are weakest which is when we are physically under pressure from long balls and set pieces.

I really hope I am wrong and I doubt Frank will change our approach, but I think Pulis will be a bit too canny for Frank at this point.

I'm with you mate, I think we will struggle today.

As much as fans say 'Pullis-Ball' he's actually a decent manager and has 'Boro doing well, they are a good side and even a point away would be a result.

Interesting prematch interview with Frank. He is very good at actually answering the question and sometimes disagreeing with the implied presumption. Doesn't just agree all the time...comes over as thoughtful and mature beyond his years/experience. 

Surprised more comment on here not been made about the Holmes question at the end where he say subs will all play a part and the need to be positive if you're not in the team. Felt it didn't bode well for Anya, Thorne, Butters...clearly wants a tight squad who all want to be involved at every turn..surely those not around matchday squads are now are not going to be parachuted in.

As for today....can't see us being that positive in our play again. West Brom are suspect against the attack... Boro arent. Can see low scoring 1-0 defeat...but hope I'm wrong!!! 

Tough ,tough game as been said previously TP  is a good manager and Boro will be a tough nut to crack .However as I sit here with a satisfied look on my face after the weeks endeavour from the boys , I am happy in the fact that we will go up there and have a go this afternoon.

Gone are the days of defending a two nil deficit ,having the leagues top scorer and not playing him .Playing for the draw straight from kick off ,thinking a one -nil result against us  is ok .That is a distant albeit painful memory I now look forward to games again and gentlemen I fecking expect  us to win.

This game will be 0 -1, there's no doubt about that. Pulis will do everything to achieve a goalless draw but there's no stopping this Lampard powered juggernaut. They'll be broken down at some point and that one goal will be enough.

I've gone for 0 -1 Waghorn but I'm slightly worried that that's just me willing him to score for the good of the team. I'm sticking with that prediction however if the game is still 0 - 0 at 70 mins then i believe the scorer will be the ghost of Nuge. I can almost hear the haunting drone of Nuuuuugggeeee reverberating around the Riverside for their Halloween treat.

Archived