The Championship 18/19

Day

1 minute ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

I'm not sure I follow

Adam Pope is a Sports Broadcaster for the BBC, I think a reporter trying to spin the conspiracy that everything’s against Leeds is wrong and irresponsible because it enforces that opinion.

Im thankful that we have Steve Nicholson who at least writes a balanced opinion and doesn’t have a ‘woe is us’ attitude.

Hes allowed an opinion, but I think you have to have responsibility with your opinion as a journalist.

I was pretty annoyed when I wrote this first time

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

State of this. Because they gave Villa a goal they thought they could get Bamford off his charge for deception.

Whilst Patrick Bamford did not deny the charge of successful deception of a match official following our Sky Bet Championship game against Aston Villa on Sunday, the club did request a hearing to contest the penalty imposed on the player.

The club felt that given the circumstances surrounding the incident, including the extraordinary act of sportsmanship which saw our head coach Marcelo Bielsa demand our team to allow Aston Villa to score an uncontested equaliser, we could have a sensible discussion around the sanction.

We acknowledge that the FA panel did not feel that to be reasonable and the club therefore joins Patrick in accepting the two-match ban.

Bamford will miss our final game of the 2018/19 campaign away to Ipswich Town as well as the first leg of our Play-Off semi-final.

https://www.leedsunited.com/news/team-news/24931/statement-from-leeds-united

Why the bold bit?

FA say otherwise.

Sith Happens

Leeds and Bamford deserve each other. Seriously for a club to defend him is outrageous.

Should have increased the ban four fold as soon as he denied it.

The ban he gets should at least match that the player he tried to get banned would have got.

4 hours ago, David said:

State of this. Because they gave Villa a goal they thought they could get Bamford off his charge for deception.

Whilst Patrick Bamford did not deny the charge of successful deception of a match official following our Sky Bet Championship game against Aston Villa on Sunday, the club did request a hearing to contest the penalty imposed on the player.

The club felt that given the circumstances surrounding the incident, including the extraordinary act of sportsmanship which saw our head coach Marcelo Bielsa demand our team to allow Aston Villa to score an uncontested equaliser, we could have a sensible discussion around the sanction.

We acknowledge that the FA panel did not feel that to be reasonable and the club therefore joins Patrick in accepting the two-match ban.

Bamford will miss our final game of the 2018/19 campaign away to Ipswich Town as well as the first leg of our Play-Off semi-final.

https://www.leedsunited.com/news/team-news/24931/statement-from-leeds-united

Why the bold bit?

FA say otherwise.

It might just be because it's Leeds, but I half feel like such a frivolous and daft defence should itself be punished for wasting the FA's time

Bielsa spy-gate thread closed so I guess here's the place to pop this:

Marcelo Bielsa: Leeds United head coach says he paid £200,000 'spygate' fine personally

Head coach Marcelo Bielsa says he personally paid Leeds' £200,000 fine for spying on Championship opponents.

The EFL punished Leeds in February after a member of United's staff was seen outside Derby's training ground.

Bielsa, 63, subsequently admitted he had sent someone to watch every team they had played this season train.

"The sanction (the EFL) gave us of £200,000 - it is a financial sanction against the club, not against me, but I am responsible for it," Bielsa said.

"That is why I paid it from my pocket, the financial sanction."

More here: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48151163

Thought it was interesting to re-check the odds ahead of this season and see how far off some teams were. I've used the list in the Mail as a guide cos it can be difficult to find odds that don't constantly update. 

The top 6 favourites were:

image.png.4bb5d39d10426cc5f494a82d678c34b2.png

WBA and Leeds are obviously still in with a shout at promotion so fair enough, but to say that the favourites finished in the bottom half, and the second favourites failed to reach the play-offs, really speaks to how useless the pre-season odds are as a guide.

Getting two of your top 6 right (even if they're not in the right place) is probably going to happen if you pick entirely at random ? 

9 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

Thought it was interesting to re-check the odds ahead of this season and see how far off some teams were. I've used the list in the Mail as a guide cos it can be difficult to find odds that don't constantly update. 

WBA and Leeds are obviously still in with a shout at promotion so fair enough, but to say that the favourites finished in the bottom half, and the second favourites failed to reach the play-offs, really speaks to how useless the pre-season odds are as a guide.

Getting two of your top 6 right (even if they're not in the right place) is probably going to happen if you pick entirely at random ? 

I doubt there are many neutrals that would have picked Norwich and Sheff U as their top two.  It's been a particularly unpredictable season.

10 minutes ago, therealhantsram said:

I doubt there are many neutrals that would have picked Norwich and Sheff U as their top two.  It's been a particularly unpredictable season.

I was curious about that. I thought we usually do a topic on here in late July where people guess/discuss their top 6 and bottom 3 but I can't find one for this season ?  

1 hour ago, therealhantsram said:

I find it baffling how many pundits didn’t expect Sheffield United to even be in the mix. 

They were top three until Coutts’ injury last season. They not only signed cover for him this season, they massively improved on him in signing Oliver Norwood. 

Then there’s McGoldrick, Henderson and Egan coming in. 

4 hours ago, SaintRam said:

Forest 10/3? They're 'avin a larff.

10 hours ago, cannable said:

I find it baffling how many pundits didn’t expect Sheffield United to even be in the mix. 

They were top three until Coutts’ injury last season. They not only signed cover for him this season, they massively improved on him in signing Oliver Norwood. 

Then there’s McGoldrick, Henderson and Egan coming in. 

Possibly the championship signing of the summer. Hourihane at Villa gets a lot of plaudits as a passer of the ball but this lad lags all over him. 

His vision and weight of forward pass is brilliant, too good for the Championship.

22 hours ago, SKRam said:

Glance at that final league table.... Stoke finishing 16th, wow what a dismal season they’ve had with all the cash spent on that squad. 

They've been very quiet all season. The bear pit has turned into the flea pit. Same again next season and they'll be back to the 12,000 they had before the Pulis glory years in the premier league.

Archived