Butterfield

Philmycock

21 minutes ago, cannable said:

I meant more in the sense that he has proven over his Derby career that he isn’t quick or physically fit enough to play energetically. 

Whereas Bryson is naturally extremely fit and energetic. As was Sammon. 

So you aren't a fan of Huddlestone then I assume? 

Not every position requires a player to be a Duracell bunny. He seemed no more or less energetic than most midfielders to me. 

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not read through the thread as Butterfield's supposed shortcomings are well documented. I'm not one for bashing Derby players but even I have had a couple of digs at the lad for rumour mill stuff that turned out to be grossly exaggerated. My considered view would be that he's a technically gifted player who like a few others, has not prospered under managers seeking to play defensive and counter-attacking football. Perhaps his demeanour does him no favours but trying to be fair to the lad, perhaps I'd look like a mardy **** too if I was never getting a game. I'm not sure whether he things will pan out for him with Frank at the helm and maybe he will need to show a more willing attitude as much as he'll need to show he has the skill sets required for things to change, but under the new regime isn't everyone entitled to a clean slate? 

52 minutes ago, Gritty said:

So you aren't a fan of Huddlestone then I assume? 

Not every position requires a player to be a Duracell bunny. He seemed no more or less energetic than most midfielders to me. 

I’m arguing that it’s unfair to criticise him for not putting in effort because he’s not naturally energetic, not that you need to be sprinting marathons to be a good footballer.

On 02/09/2018 at 08:29, Alpha said:

His worst crime is playing it safe when he should look to take risks. That's his worst crime. 

Wasn't it more to do with the perception that he slagged the club when he went to Wednesday?

Don't know if he really did or not, but I dislike him on the off chance that it might be true. 

Just now, Lambchop said:

Wasn't it more to do with the perception that he slagged the club when he went to Wednesday?

Don't know if he really did or not, but I dislike him on the off chance that it might be true. 

I think so. That said, he wasn't especially liked before that, probably just the icing and the cherry on the cake.

It was aimed more at Rowett than DCFC, and he was proven right!

23 minutes ago, Lambchop said:

All he said was something about not fitting the style 

20 minutes ago, Alpha said:

All he said was something about not fitting the style 

Fair enough. I thought there were comments about preferring Wednesday and not wanting to come back, but I'm only basing that on what I remember of people's reactions at the time. Got the impression he'd burnt his bridges. 

38 minutes ago, Lambchop said:

Fair enough. I thought there were comments about preferring Wednesday and not wanting to come back, but I'm only basing that on what I remember of people's reactions at the time. Got the impression he'd burnt his bridges. 

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/derby-countys-style-play-not-450632.amp

As Cannable has reminded us (again) Butterfield didn’t say anything derogatory about the club, and more simply that Rowett’s style of play wasn’t how he liked to play football.  Before that Clement’s negative approach also, in my opinion, affected how he played.

I am not here to argue that he has been a good signing, nor that he might do a job for us in the future. However, l do think he is a good footballer, and l think he deserves far better support than the majority are prepared to give on here. 

3 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

As Cannable has reminded us (again) Butterfield didn’t say anything derogatory about the club, and more simply that Rowett’s style of play wasn’t how he liked to play football.  Before that Clement’s negative approach also, in my opinion, affected how he played.

I am not here to argue that he has been a good signing, nor that he might do a job for us in the future. However, l do think he is a good footballer, and l think he deserves far better support than the majority are prepared to give on here. 

Spot on,some fans will watch certain players have game after game playing poorly or bang average at best and if someone like Butters makes a mistake or a poor pass they can’t wait to jump on him I don’t get it and I still feel he is a better fit than Bryson in this team.

10 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

He should have used interest from another club to engineer a new contract like a current first teamer. Then people would continue to fall over themselves to say how much they love him. 

16 hours ago, cannable said:

I don’t understand your argument, we aren’t comparing how effective or productive either has been for Derby County, my point was that both are slow and aren’t energetic.

Yet one is successful and Butterfield isn’t - get it now.

57 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

Perhaps if he tried to earn the fans support? When you see the flack that Martin takes, with his past record for the club is it any wonder Butterfield gets flack?

6 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Perhaps if he tried to earn the fans support? When you see the flack that Martin takes, with his past record for the club is it any wonder Butterfield gets flack?

I don’t get why anyone would give our own players flack? How does it help anyone perform better?

Just now, derbydaz22 said:

I don’t get why anyone would give our own players flack? How does it help anyone perform better?

Is he reading this thread then? Hi Butters! Pull ya finge r out mate, see if you can play 90 minutes for the U23s tonight, instead of being subbed off...

He signed a contract yes and doesn't have to budge I get that,  we offered him the contract in the first place.

The only issue I have now is that IF he is not trying to get into our first team squad then that is bound to make some fans feel a bit aggravated as  I'm sure we didn't sign him to give up trying if he was down the pecking order.

1 hour ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Always thought tthere was a bit of an overreaction tto his comments myself.

And with hindsight, who is still up for rowettball?

Curtains?

Archived