Butterfield

Philmycock

1 hour ago, David said:

I think it’s easy to sit here as fans and say why didn’t you bugger off, you know you’re not wanted and won’t get a game, oh it’s the money, happy to just collect your pay cheque.

But do we know what offers he had on the table to leave?

Maybe there wasn’t anything concrete for him to take, that is a possibility, as is offers being on the table which meant moving to an area he wasn’t comfortable with.

They are people with family and friends which have to be taken into consideration. 

Of course you could be right and it’s a case of the money is better here and I can collect that without playing, see my contract out and take my chances as a free agent in the summer if nobody wants me in January, but I don’t think it’s fair to jump to the worst possible conclusion without having the facts to hand. 

Said it before, I would hate to be up in court with you lot in the jury, I would be guilty before being questioned!

Regardless of our thoughts on his past performances or comments made after joining Sheffield Wednesday, he is a Derby player still that could be called upon if needed.

Time to clean the slate, hope he gets his head down in training and puts in performances when called upon be it with the U23s or first team.

Booing him on the pitch and e-pitchforking him would not motivate any player to perform.

You are totally correct in everything you say but the one overriding aspect to Butterfield is that he hasn’t been very good for us bar a first season where he was ok due to the goals scored but he was a replacement for Hughes so he was on a loser from the very beginning 

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Gritty said:

For the position next to Mount there's Bryson, Johnson, Ledley, Holmes, Bird, Sibley and even Bennett and Evans (who could both play am) likely to play there before Butterfield 

Hilarious but probably true. 

Boro were better than Leeds. Good result for us. So physical. Quite a bit of Rugby payed.

1 hour ago, nottingram said:

I’d rather just play him tbh, think the midfield is missing someone who can control the game like he can at his best.

Maybe Lamps has decided he’ll never hit that beat again.

What I do find interesting is that largely, the same players out of favour under Rowett are out of favour under Lampard. Is that a coincidence?

Destroyed confidence?

48 minutes ago, David said:

Not sure about the club needing to make a statement, if we strip off the extra fat he’s a Derby player that went out on loan, he’s now back at the club under a new manger with a squad number.

I think we all know he probably wasn’t in Lampard’s plans and was on the list of players we would have liked to have moved on but hasn’t happened.

There is a picture of him knocking around at Pride Park wearing the clubs training kit with other players that were not involved, through selection and injury. 

Smiling as well.

So doesn’t appear to have been made an outcast or told to stay away from the club.

Work hard in training, show why you deserve to be in the team and perform when called upon and you will get games.

Same applies to every player.

The statement now needs to come from Butterfield to Lampard in training.

He’s had plenty of time to make that statement, preseason training started on 29th June. Yes we all know he was one of the surplus to requirements squad but Blackman found himself a new club as did Martin & CJ. All I’m saying is be helpful to know why he hasn’t and at same time stop folks casting aspersions. He’s either a professional footballer or he isn’t. 

2 hours ago, PistoldPete2 said:

Its still open for us to offer to cancel his contract. anytime between now and the summer.

Not really for an option for anya though(still 2 years left) and hes probably further down the pecking order than Butterfield.

Not entirely true. If we agreed to cancel his contract he wouldn’t be able to sign fora club until January when the window opens anyway. He’s better off waiting it out, using the club facilities and trying to sort out a new deal for January. 

Has Anya really only been here 2 years? My god that’s depressing!

I'd be astonished if he was still here next year but in some ways its a shame he can't be integrated back into the first team picture. Midfield is still a real problem area for us - we're not exerting enough control in there nor are we creating a great deal. Butterfield is capable of retaining possession in dangerous areas, creating chances & scoring them - I imagine he'd be a good foil for Mount & a DCM. Whilst he lacks Bryson's mobility, he's far from lethargic on the pitch & is far ahead of Bryson in technical ability.

His total exclusion from the League Cup squad seems to indicate he has no chance of playing, so hope he gets fixed up with a decent club in January to showcase himself for next summer rather than rotting away in the under-23's.

As to the original question on whether he's 'just taking the money' - of course he is & is fully entitled to do so long as he is turning up for training & making himself available for selection. Its funny that people will blame Butterfield for this situation when the blame lies 100% with the club.

I dont blame him if he is just sat here taking the paycheck. 

If i signed for a club on £20-£30k a week or whatever & wasnt getting a look in i wouldnt be bothered. I wouldnt move for less money either. To most players its a job, he’s not a Derby fan, he doesnt owe us anything. To be honest as a fan of the club if they signed me & i couldnt get in the side i wouldnt leave. 

Its a job to some players. Would you up your settled family to work elsewhere for less money? And To a place where they’ll make you work Saturdays & the occassional late shift midweek? 

Or you can stay at the same work place, never do a saturday & get paid more for doing the bare minimum.

We can all get annoyed about Butterfield draining valuable resources but the fact is we gave him a long and lucrative contract and we only have ourselves to blame.

Still find it strange cos he wasn't a bad player but he has massively struggled with confidence/fitness and mis management.

I'm sure he's made a small fortune out of us but he's ruined what is suppost to be the best years of his career.

37 minutes ago, G-Ram said:

I dont blame him if he is just sat here taking the paycheck. 

If i signed for a club on £20-£30k a week or whatever & wasnt getting a look in i wouldnt be bothered. I wouldnt move for less money either. To most players its a job, he’s not a Derby fan, he doesnt owe us anything. To be honest as a fan of the club if they signed me & i couldnt get in the side i wouldnt leave. 

Its a job to some players. Would you up your settled family to work elsewhere for less money? And To a place where they’ll make you work Saturdays & the occassional late shift midweek? 

Or you can stay at the same work place, never do a saturday & get paid more for doing the bare minimum.

Can’t say, never been in his position as unfortunately was never good enough to make the grade. All I do know is I’d have gave my left leg to become a pro footballer!!! ?

24 minutes ago, northantsram said:

We can all get annoyed about Butterfield draining valuable resources but the fact is we gave him a long and lucrative contract and we only have ourselves to blame.

Still find it strange cos he wasn't a bad player but he has massively struggled with confidence/fitness and mis management.

I'm sure he's made a small fortune out of us but he's ruined what is suppost to be the best years of his career.

Why should anyone be annoyed?

He's not shirking. He's available for selection and I'm sure he wants to play.

24 minutes ago, EnigmaRam said:

Maybe he found a club but we wouldn’t let him go.

maybe he couldn’t find a club.

maybe a club couldn’t afford all his wages and we wouldn’t subsidise.

maybe Frank wants him around

maybe Frank doesn’t want him around

maybe, maybe, maybe!

I think you've hit the nail fairly and squarely on the head.

I’m in no way a Butterfield fan, never have been never will be, he doesn’t have a future here, he isn’t the controller we’re missing, best solution for all parties is if he leaves. But not going to judge him on why he’s still here as could be a number of legitimate reasons including one that he’s entitled to stay and see out his contract. 

Whether we like it or not, I think Butterfield is probably the closest player we have to Mount in the squad. 

I’m sure we’d have liked to ship him out and get someone else in as that back-up, but right now if Mount went down then I think Butterfield would probably get some game time some way or the other. Don’t think a Bryson/Johnson combination in midfield would suit this system at all, even though they’ve both made respectable starts to the season.

Hopefully we can sort this out in January, I’d rather not have to turn to Butterfield at all this season but he’s a decent enough passer of the ball, can score from range and has started as a playmaker in a 4-3-3 before.

Wouldn’t be a complete disaster if he had to play a bit this season, if anything I’d be interested to see if Frank could get some of the performances out of him that we saw in his first few months at Derby.

Archived