Butterfield

Philmycock

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, philmycock said:

Bleeding us dry for "Money for Nothing" or trying to get a game???

Was thinking this earlier, but in the one position he’s likely to play IF Bryson or Johnson pick up a knock then there is an opening for him to re-enter the fold. Ofcourse the pref for all parties is for a fresh start but I have no qualms with him trying to work his way into contention as there’s a useful player in there somewhere. Similar to Thorne (and Martin if he’d stayed past the deadline) I guess.

39 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

Was thinking this earlier, but in the one position he’s likely to play IF Bryson or Johnson pick up a knock then there is an opening for him to re-enter the fold. Ofcourse the pref for all parties is for a fresh start but I have no qualms with him trying to work his way into contention as there’s a useful player in there somewhere. Similar to Thorne (and Martin if he’d stayed past the deadline) I guess.

I think that Bird and possibly sibley would get in the team before Butterfield. I'd be extremely surprised to see him him in a derby shirt again, unless there's an injury crisis 

6 hours ago, TuffLuff said:

For the position next to Mount there's Bryson, Johnson, Ledley, Holmes, Bird, Sibley and even Bennett and Evans (who could both play am) likely to play there before Butterfield 

6 hours ago, TuffLuff said:

I think the question is not whether there's a place in the team for him if we need him, but whether the bloke actually wants to get back into the team - whereas Thorne seems to be working hard to prove his worth, the odd glimpses I've seen of Buttocks for the U23s, he looked lazy and disinterested - he's way down the pecking order, yet hadn't managed to engineer a loan to get himself game time - perhaps as the OP suggests, he's happy to cruise through the rest of his contract and pick up his nice fat pay cheque.....to be fair, there could be fitness issues we aren't aware of that mean he's out of the picture, but if not, you have to question his character....

I think it’s easy to sit here as fans and say why didn’t you bugger off, you know you’re not wanted and won’t get a game, oh it’s the money, happy to just collect your pay cheque.

But do we know what offers he had on the table to leave?

Maybe there wasn’t anything concrete for him to take, that is a possibility, as is offers being on the table which meant moving to an area he wasn’t comfortable with.

They are people with family and friends which have to be taken into consideration. 

Of course you could be right and it’s a case of the money is better here and I can collect that without playing, see my contract out and take my chances as a free agent in the summer if nobody wants me in January, but I don’t think it’s fair to jump to the worst possible conclusion without having the facts to hand. 

Said it before, I would hate to be up in court with you lot in the jury, I would be guilty before being questioned!

Regardless of our thoughts on his past performances or comments made after joining Sheffield Wednesday, he is a Derby player still that could be called upon if needed.

Time to clean the slate, hope he gets his head down in training and puts in performances when called upon be it with the U23s or first team.

Booing him on the pitch and e-pitchforking him would not motivate any player to perform.

Its still open for us to offer to cancel his contract. anytime between now and the summer.

Not really for an option for anya though(still 2 years left) and hes probably further down the pecking order than Butterfield.

I am guessing/thinking that he/his agent thinks he should be at a promotion chasing (top half champ) club but none are interested. No doubt some discussion a with lower half clubs and/or top half L1 but he was not interested and money did not work out.

Considering that back end of last year we had 5 or 6 in the “High Pay No Play” category to be left with only one (assuming Thorne finds his way back into the frame ) is pretty good for one transfer window.

I’d rather just play him tbh, think the midfield is missing someone who can control the game like he can at his best.

Maybe Lamps has decided he’ll never hit that beat again.

What I do find interesting is that largely, the same players out of favour under Rowett are out of favour under Lampard. Is that a coincidence?

Its a little concerning he's getting a look in even in the League Cup, if he was close he would have got a game. Even if only to entice a few suitors.....

Seems a long way off...all very odd. Last couple of seasons his career has slid so far...a year in the under 23s could be terminal to his career. If he wasnt playing all year; free transfer or not, no-one in the Championship is going to be offering him the kind of terms he is on now.

56 minutes ago, David said:

I think it’s easy to sit here as fans and say why didn’t you bugger off, you know you’re not wanted and won’t get a game, oh it’s the money, happy to just collect your pay cheque.

Maybe there wasn’t anything concrete for him to take, that is a possibility, as is offers being on the table which meant moving to an area he wasn’t comfortable with.

They are people with family and friends which have to be taken into consideration. 

Of course you could be right and it’s a case of the money is better here and I can collect that without playing, see my contract out and take my chances as a free agent in the summer if nobody wants me in January, but I don’t think it’s fair to jump to the worst possible conclusion without having the facts to hand. 

Said it before, I would hate to be up in court with you lot in the jury, I would be guilty before being questioned!

Regardless of our thoughts on his past performances or comments made after joining Sheffield Wednesday, he is a Derby player still that could be called upon if needed.

Time to clean the slate, hope he gets his head down in training and puts in performances when called upon be it with the U23s or first team.

Booing him on the pitch and e-pitchforking him would not motivate any player to perform.

Agree, as a human being, and Derby County member of staff, with personal circumstances we need to show him some respect but a) if he showed a bit more effort\enthusiasm & b) the club actually made a statement concerning his, and others, situation ref playing etc it would help. The fact that neither are doing this only fuels negative speculation. Surely to enlighten us all would put the negativity to bed. The lack of nothing positive from the player or club is not helping. 

6 minutes ago, Gisby said:

Agree, as a human being, and Derby County member of staff, with personal circumstances we need to show him some respect but a) if he showed a bit more effort\enthusiasm & b) the club actually made a statement concerning his, and others, situation ref playing etc it would help. The fact that neither are doing this only fuels negative speculation. Surely to enlighten us all would put the negativity to bed. The lack of nothing positive from the player or club is not helping. 

Not sure about the club needing to make a statement, if we strip off the extra fat he’s a Derby player that went out on loan, he’s now back at the club under a new manger with a squad number.

I think we all know he probably wasn’t in Lampard’s plans and was on the list of players we would have liked to have moved on but hasn’t happened.

There is a picture of him knocking around at Pride Park wearing the clubs training kit with other players that were not involved, through selection and injury. 

Smiling as well.

So doesn’t appear to have been made an outcast or told to stay away from the club.

Work hard in training, show why you deserve to be in the team and perform when called upon and you will get games.

Same applies to every player.

The statement now needs to come from Butterfield to Lampard in training.

1 hour ago, Gaspode said:

I think the question is not whether there's a place in the team for him if we need him, but whether the bloke actually wants to get back into the team - whereas Thorne seems to be working hard to prove his worth, the odd glimpses I've seen of Buttocks for the U23s, he looked lazy and disinterested - he's way down the pecking order, yet hadn't managed to engineer a loan to get himself game time - perhaps as the OP suggests, he's happy to cruise through the rest of his contract and pick up his nice fat pay cheque.....to be fair, there could be fitness issues we aren't aware of that mean he's out of the picture, but if not, you have to question his character....

You hit the nail on the head. THERE MIGHT BE FITNESS ISSUES. I am one to believe that no footballer will just sit fat, dumb and happy in the knowledge he has a wage coming in. Every contract comes to an end and if he hasn't tried to put himself in the shop window, then he will know that the best he could look forward to is a lessor contract in the future. If you are getting on a bit then fine, but he is young enough for a few more years yet.

So I for one don't buy the "He can't be arsed attitude ". I am sure he will be doing everything in his power to showcase himself.

He might feel aggrieved at the fact he is 3rd or 4th choice but then he would try hard to get a move surely

6 minutes ago, Gisby said:

Agree there is a need sometimes for a bit more transparency. 

Would be easy enough for Frank to get a question planted. Then if he IS being a decent professional he can say 'Jacob is really working hard in training but we have a large squad so he needs to keep his attitude as it is and he will get a chance'.

Easy.

Or....if he is sulking ..'Jacob is understandably disappointed to not have featured and with the size of the squad we are happy to talk to other clubs but if a deal can't be done he needs to commit 100% to the club for the next year'.

Few weeks down the line  ..'we are really pleased how he has knuckled down and a model pro since he missed out on a deal'. Etc etc

Similarly now Chris Martin has gone..I would love it if the 'truth' came out. Eg 'He wanted to stay initially but he didn't seem match fit (or was ill?)...other players came in and did well. I think his head dropped and he wanted to go. Over the years I have watched him and he is a great goalscorer but less mobile than the kind of player I like in my preferred system and he was blocking the space on rhe bench for a hungrier youngster so a deal seemed perfect for all concerned'.

Know I am rambling....but someone like Mourinho totally digs players out,  so a bit more of an insight would be nice for me and is possible.

My mate sits in Igors. Told me a few Derby players were sitting close by for the Leeds game, some in tracksuits, some in suits. Was the likes of; Butterfield, Martin, Anya, Thorne, Jerome..... said when Lawrence scored the free kick, all stood up clapping bar Butterfield who didn’t even move a muscle, just sat there with a face on.

1 hour ago, David said:

Don't come on here like you own the place...oh wait...

I agree with you, we have no idea what offers have come through. He went to Sheff Wed last year, so doesn't appear to be sat back doing nothing.

How many of us would take a temporary transfer to a smaller site with worse facilities, 100 miles from where we live?

2 minutes ago, sage said:

Don't come on here like you own the place...oh wait...

I agree with you, we have no idea what offers have come through. He went to Sheff Wed last year, so doesn't appear to be sat back doing nothing.

How many of us would take a temporary transfer to a smaller site with worse facilities, 100 miles from where we live?

None of us...

Honestly tho...if I felt my new boss didn't like me and I was being totally overlooked. Then I got called in and told you need to work your 6months notice we won't be retaining you ?

I would probably look to take my redundancy and get out asap. 

Archived