Butterfield

Philmycock

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, cannable said:

That’s just the knuckle dragging gammon extrapolating an interview he gave over a year when leaving because of not fitting the then manager’s style of play 

I was actually thinking of comments I read on another forum not long after he was bought about him not really wanting to be here. But it’s all just ‘second cousin’ to... *shrug*

16 hours ago, cheron85 said:

There's some obsession at the moment on this forum with hammering players personally (they're lazy, they don't care, they're bad influences, they're just collecting a paycheck) just because someone doesn't like the way they play - Or thinks they aren't good enough to play for us

Butterfield is a slower paced footballer - Much like Huddlestone and Martin are - They don't run around as much as other players but their positioning is generally better - He's obviously got some talent (scored 8 in 40 first season from CM which isn't a dreadful return) but has been another victim of circumstance here

Or people making just plain and stupid rumours up for their own gratification. 

I think people like to see the club and certain players fail in some way. In reality they havent got a clue but think they know everything. 

13 minutes ago, CHCDerby said:

I think people like to see the club and certain players fail in some way. In reality they havent got a clue but think they know everything. 

Butter field is a good player like all players if you don’t put them in the right formation they will struggle, Chris Martin has that issue. I do wonder if Huddlestone will be able to do the defensive midfield role. 

Again it’s not about ability it’s about fit 

54 minutes ago, CHCDerby said:

I'm trying these days to believe in the inherent niceness of people - At least trying to assume more positive motivations from them - It's not working all the time

I think it's human nature to try and find reasons to explain stuff you don't know about - What we KNOW is Butterfield isn't featuring for the senior team or the u23s, hasn't left in the transfer window and has a year left on his contract - Then people in the forum are trying to work out why this is the case and supposing things from there - I don't think it's malicious just natural to draw your own conclusions

I'm choosing to assume the best of Butterfield - In pre-season training he looked happy and enthusiastic - Whether or not he plays for us ever again he is currently benefiting from being trained by one of the  best midfielders of his generation - And I would like to think is working hard to try and get game time - But at the moment the management team is choosing not to pick him

3 hours ago, CHCDerby said:

Not just having a different opinion to you then? Some posters like to belittle other fans because they don’t agree with them too.

6 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

Not just having a different opinion to you then? Some posters like to belittle other fans because they don’t agree with them too.

No, rumours like Jack Marriott refused to travel with the group. 

I don't think its belittling other fans, its more a case of not agreeing with their crazy way of thinking. I mean, some fans type before thinking half the time. We as supporters haven't got a clue why Butterfield isnt playing in the first team or U23s. This doesnt make him a bad player, just one that hasnt fit within our managers plans or formation we play.

Personally I think he would do well in a good number of Championship clubs.

10 hours ago, TroyDyer said:

If we were foolish enough to offer big money, you can't moan when people are savvy enough to take it. 

I am absolutely certain that when Butterfield signed for us there was no thought in his mind that he could get easy money for not playing.

The plain fact is that he is a square peg in a round hole here through no fault of his own.Maybe he did at some point say he didnt want to be here. Put yourself in his shoes would you want to be in club where you Know darn well you aint going to get a game

If he's not getting game time, and he went down badly in Sheffield too, then he needs to be working on updating his approach to the game. In any other sport, you have to work to adapt your style to be successful. It's no different for Butters. God knows he's had a lot of time to think about it...

12 hours ago, CHCDerby said:

Unfortunatly, he made some comments when he left here last year that didn't sit well with supporters or probably his teammates.  He does have attributes- he can hold onto the ball and doesn't lose possession easy, but he does always give the impression he could do more but isn't that arsed. 

8 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Unfortunatly, he made some comments when he left here last year that didn't sit well with supporters or probably his teammates.  He does have attributes- he can hold onto the ball and doesn't lose possession easy, but he does always give the impression he could do more but isn't that arsed. 

I would like to think that he is a little more savvy than that and he CAN be arsed.

He will be under no illusion that when his contract runs out and can move on, that if he is playing good regular football at a decent standard, then he will be snapped up on a good contract.

If (as you say) shows the impression that he can't be arsed, then he is going to be on a downward spiral and will only get lower league interest.

So I would say he IS arsed and maybe something else is getting to him. (I might be wrong)

It's a truism that when a player arrives with a big transfer fee and large wages and they don't live up to that perceived price tag that they get accused of struggling to match up to expectations . Very rarely does the person sanctioning the deal get criticised for overpaying for a player who was never worth that amount of money in the first place. 

32 minutes ago, Inglorius said:

It's a truism that when a player arrives with a big transfer fee and large wages and they don't live up to that perceived price tag that they get accused of struggling to match up to expectations . Very rarely does the person sanctioning the deal get criticised for overpaying for a player who was never worth that amount of money in the first place. 

Spot on.

All I expect from a player is to give their best. If they are not good enough then that is not really their fault. I've no reason to think that Butterfield isn't trying.

6 hours ago, BathRam72 said:

I would like to think that he is a little more savvy than that and he CAN be arsed.

He will be under no illusion that when his contract runs out and can move on, that if he is playing good regular football at a decent standard, then he will be snapped up on a good contract.

If (as you say) shows the impression that he can't be arsed, then he is going to be on a downward spiral and will only get lower league interest.

So I would say he IS arsed and maybe something else is getting to him. (I might be wrong)

Maybe i'm wrong then .  Perhaps he is playing at the maximum of his ability and he just isn't that good.  Perhaps the problem might be his arse - Butterfield  sponsored by Preparation H .  Don't worry about his wages . I'm sure if he leaves us on free his next wage packet will reflect the lack of transfer fee.

I can't help but think that Butterfield has undeservedly become our latest boo boy. The first season he was with us, although inconsistent, he put in some superb performances and scored some great goals. One of his problems was being brought in to replace 'one of our own' Will Hughes after his injury, and with a multi million pound price tag as well, he  had a lot to live up to.

I think hes another of these players we signed and then didn't play in the position he had previously excelled in, see also Andreas Weimann, Nick Blackman, Bradley Johnson .....

As for the comments he made when he went to Wednesday, didn't he just say that he didn't think that Gary Rowett's style of football was for him??? Rowett then went on to smugly refer to this comment in one of his pressers I recall. This was at a time when we all thought that Rowett was also 'one of our own'.

Well given how things have turned out, you would have to say that Butterfield was right! You might have thought that him being critical of Rowett might actually endear him to us fans that little bit more!!!

13 minutes ago, NewhallRam71 said:

I can't help but think that Butterfield has undeservedly become our latest boo boy. The first season he was with us, although inconsistent, he put in some superb performances and scored some great goals. One of his problems was being brought in to replace 'one of our own' Will Hughes after his injury, and with a multi million pound price tag as well, he  had a lot to live up to.

I think hes another of these players we signed and then didn't play in the position he had previously excelled in, see also Andreas Weimann, Nick Blackman, Bradley Johnson .....

As for the comments he made when he went to Wednesday, didn't he just say that he didn't think that Gary Rowett's style of football was for him??? Rowett then went on to smugly refer to this comment in one of his pressers I recall. This was at a time when we all thought that Rowett was also 'one of our own'.

Well given how things have turned out, you would have to say that Butterfield was right! You might have thought that him being critical of Rowett might actually endear him to us fans that little bit more!!!

Yes, the same Rowett who let Hughes go because he didn't suit his style.

I think people should be very careful what they say because more often than not, it's spread in a totally different context. 

Archived