Will Hughes on Rowett

1961ram

''There is some evidence to support that view. Since making his Premier League debut for Watford, the club has won 43 per cent of the matches that he has started but only 22 per cent without him''

Safe to say Hughes has made a positive impact for Watford. Hope he has a blinder vs Spurs this weekend.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hughes has always been a good player, I think the biggest problem most people had was that he would be consistently outscored/outcreated by lesser players in the league. The kid had the close control of a world class attacking midfielder, but he was often left wanting when it came to winning a game. I remember right before the Forest at home match, where he scored, just stating that he NEEDS to focus his ability and add more substance to his name. 

I just don't thin he'll ever be an outstanding attacking midfielder, the likes of Mount/Alli, etc will always outscore him. If he was to take a leaf out of Henderson's book, who to also started as an attacking midfielder, he will soon get more recognition IMO. 

I could be wrong, but I doubt he'll ever add enough goals to his game to warrant playing further up the field. It's his link up play that makes him special. I can see why Rowett let him go, I really can, but the figure we got will go down in history as did Huddlestone's. 

2 hours ago, Ambitious said:

Hughes has always been a good player, I think the biggest problem most people had was that he would be consistently outscored/outcreated by lesser players in the league. The kid had the close control of a world class attacking midfielder, but he was often left wanting when it came to winning a game. I remember right before the Forest at home match, where he scored, just stating that he NEEDS to focus his ability and add more substance to his name. 

I just don't thin he'll ever be an outstanding attacking midfielder, the likes of Mount/Alli, etc will always outscore him. If he was to take a leaf out of Henderson's book, who to also started as an attacking midfielder, he will soon get more recognition IMO. 

I could be wrong, but I doubt he'll ever add enough goals to his game to warrant playing further up the field. It's his link up play that makes him special. I can see why Rowett let him go, I really can, but the figure we got will go down in history as did Huddlestone's. 

In all fairness the majority of his career thus far has been at #8, so he doesn’t necessarily have to be producing the numbers. 

A career and impact on games akin to Moussa Dembele is achievable for him. 

On 27/08/2018 at 05:25, G STAR RAM said:

How much did we get for him?

A player is only worth what another team will pay for him.

Knowing that he was not part of GRs plans do you not think his agent would have been touting him about?

I absolutely loved Will Hughes but I would say the signs point to him not being in great demand.

My *guess* is that teams were leary about his acl. There was a drop off in his form when he came back, but that is nearly always the case with that type of injury as the player builds up trust that he can cut like he previously could.

I'd have to go back to the days of Docherty to remember a player I was more disappointed to see leave.

Personally I don't see that Hughes starting to achieve what he's capable of makes the decision to sell him feel worse, maybe the fee received is slightly irritating but it doesn't seem that's really a problem for the club.

If we hadn't sold him it's still unlikely that he'd have been the difference between getting promoted and staying down, especially in a Rowett team, and instead of articles bigging up his progress and hinting he's the sort of player who could be the missing piece in the England squad we'd probably be reading stories about unfulfilled potential.

We don't get to watch him play for us, but we also don't have to sit here feeling that any loyalty he's shown to us is holding him back, we haven't had to frustratedly watch manager after manager waste his talent playing rubbish systems that don't suit him.

"... but it could have been with us" doesn't hold much water with me. Anything could have been anything could have been anything. Moving on has worked out for the better for him, and that's great.

He deserved the move and he's joined a club with the right footballing philosophy and one which seems to appreciate and be able to further nurture his talent - seeing him play well on a bigger stage and doing well makes me happy, not sad.

42 minutes ago, Coconut said:

Personally I don't see that Hughes starting to achieve what he's capable of makes the decision to sell him feel worse, maybe the fee received is slightly irritating but it doesn't seem that's really a problem for the club.

If we hadn't sold him it's still unlikely that he'd have been the difference between getting promoted and staying down, especially in a Rowett team, and instead of articles bigging up his progress and hinting he's the sort of player who could be the missing piece in the England squad we'd probably be reading stories about unfulfilled potential.

We don't get to watch him play for us, but we also don't have to sit here feeling that any loyalty he's shown to us is holding him back, we haven't had to frustratedly watch manager after manager waste his talent playing rubbish systems that don't suit him.

"... but it could have been with us" doesn't hold much water with me. Anything could have been anything could have been anything. Moving on has worked out for the better for him, and that's great.

He deserved the move and he's joined a club with the right footballing philosophy and one which seems to appreciate and be able to further nurture his talent - seeing him play well on a bigger stage and doing well makes me happy, not sad.

Can't really argue with any of that, good post.

1 hour ago, Coconut said:

Someone always has to be a grown up.

Great post.

3 hours ago, Bob The Badger said:

I'd have to go back to the days of Docherty to remember a player I was more disappointed to see leave.

Agree mate. When I think of the best players I've seen in a Rams shirt, Will is up there with Zak, Roy, Toddy, Nishy, Archie, Rioch and Charlie for pure ability.

On 27/08/2018 at 16:23, AdamRam said:

Having just back from a bad injury and not being played, there was no suprise he wasn’t in demand. Mangers were probably unwilling to take a gamble on him thinking that if a player of his talent couldn’t get in the team, then there must be some long term ptroblen.

GR did us over well and truly on this transfer, especially walking away 12 mo the later after getting rid of the best talent the club had ever produced.

That was the best thing he did IMO

Chatting to Watford fan tonight who was raving about Hughes and can't believe they got him so cheap. Also thinks he is a top lad for downing a pint before Fulham 2nd leg last season.

About the only consolation is that I quite like Watford and know a few of their fans who are just really pleased they have him. Would have been even worse if he had gone to a club I dislike with ****** fans who rubbed your noses in it.

Just now, angieram said:

More comments from Will on leaving Derby on this article on Watford's website. It's a great read, BTW. 

"Choosing football over Tennis" yeah, i'm sure it really was a hard choice that. 

In all seriousness, decent read and still upset to not see the lad in a Debry shirt, glad he is getting a decent crack in the prem though. 

3 minutes ago, angieram said:

More comments from Will on leaving Derby on this article on Watford's website. It's a great read, BTW. 

Deemed “surplus to requirements”. Don’t think it hits hard quite how much of a clueless moron Rowett is until you read that. Only an absolute dinosaur wouldn’t have will Hughes in their plans.

2 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Deemed “surplus to requirements”. Don’t think it hits hard quite how much of a clueless moron Rowett is until you read that. Only an absolute dinosaur wouldn’t have will Hughes in their plans.

Exactly, especially when you look at other midfielders that we were linked with after Will had gone, Whelan is the one that springs to mind...

It makes me sick just a little bit. 

1 minute ago, Mr Giggles said:

Exactly, especially when you look at other midfielders that we were linked with after Will had gone, Whelan is the one that springs to mind...

It makes me sick just a little bit. 

And when you think of our midfield if we had Hughes there...

Huddlestone

Hughes Mount

Just look at the perfection of that... alas two shots has stopped it ever happening.

3 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

Well he was 'surplus to requirements' in a sense.  Given the fact that Rowett requires his teams to play like a bunch of frightened and talentless cloggers, there was no way Will was ever going to fit in.   

Archived