Will Hughes on Rowett

1961ram

Article in the Sunday Times

"When Gary Rowett came in to manage Derby, he said I wasn't his type of player and I wouldn't be playing as much as I'd like. I had to leave" - Will Hughes

That's all you need to know about Rowett, right there

#antifootball

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, IlsonDerby said:

There we have it then, he didn’t want to leave. 

I never thought I’d see a worse bit of business than Rasiak and Huddlestone for a bag of peanuts but this comes close. He’s already worth probably 4 x what we got for him. 

How much did we get for him?

A player is only worth what another team will pay for him.

Knowing that he was not part of GRs plans do you not think his agent would have been touting him about?

I absolutely loved Will Hughes but I would say the signs point to him not being in great demand.

Just now, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

I supported him whilst he was here but the more we move away from his functional football and press conferences full of absolute waffle the more pleased I am that we let him go.

Same - supported him whilst he was here but looking back, we're far better off now.

Meanwhile, Dennis Wise has had his say...

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/dennis-wise-hits-out-former-1940830

5 hours ago, 1961ram said:

Article in the Sunday Times

"When Gary Rowett came in to manage Derby, he said I wasn't his type of player and I wouldn't be playing as much as I'd like. I had to leave" - Will Hughes

That's all you need to know about Rowett, right there

#antifootball

Just goes to show what an absolutely clueless, talentless see you next Tuesday Rowett is and always will be. The worst Derby manager football philosophy wise in my entire 37 years of following the club. Hope he fails miserably at Stoke and ends up managing in league 2 again, where ******* like him belong. 

God that's depressing. I honestly thought there would've been more to it than that - like Will's departure was already arranged before Rowett arrived so Will was never an option for him.

But no, Gary's took one look at him and thought nah this lad plays too much football. Obviously hasn't got a clue tactically how to use players like that so got rid.

Well thank frig he's gone. Bloody match made in heaven him and Stoke.

You could possibly understand Rowett if Hughes was one of those talented flair players who was unwilling to work for the team or tackle.  But Will had good stats in that regard, Hughes was never a 'luxury' player.  He did try to win the ball back when we didn't have it...and then he tried to use it constructively when we had it....what more could a manager want from a young midfielder?   

You do fear for Rowett's future in football management if he was incapable of spotting talented footballers when they are right under his nose.  

Let me rephrase that.  You do hope that Rowett has no future in the game given that he is incapable of spotting talented footballers right under his ******* nose.  He was too busy scripting his responses for the next interview I suppose.  

5 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Knowing that he was not part of GRs plans do you not think his agent would have been touting him about?

I absolutely loved Will Hughes but I would say the signs point to him not being in great demand.

These would all be solid arguments if he'd been sold in August. He was sold in June with the transfer window barely even open. Who is to say what interest there might have been if we'd waited even a few weeks to properly gauge it? After being sold he put in a man of the match performance in the European U21 semi final victory over Germany that would've raised his profile and value. There is absolutely no reason to sell someone that early in the window especially whilst they're still competing in an international tournament.

5 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Having just back from a bad injury and not being played, there was no suprise he wasn’t in demand. Mangers were probably unwilling to take a gamble on him thinking that if a player of his talent couldn’t get in the team, then there must be some long term ptroblen.

GR did us over well and truly on this transfer, especially walking away 12 mo the later after getting rid of the best talent the club had ever produced.

Not read everyone else's posts but ..

Anyone who couldn't see Will Hughes was destined for the top can't judge football and shouldn't be allowed an opinion on the game.

Never mind being a charge of a club, picking a side and spending an owner's money.

He'll be in the England squad before the end of the season. There are a few on here who spotted that early and as far as I know aren't in the game.

Amazing how quickly Garys stock as a manager is falling.

I'm surprised, I thought for a long time he was going to be decent.

I remember being asked about will hughes once and saying....

he's got no pace, he can't head it, and he doesn't score many goals..........but he's the best player on the pitch by a fkn mile.

Growett absolutely decimated our midfield. 

It really is the sign of a poor manager that is so committed to his own style of football that he can’t find a place in his team for a touch of quality. Even Alladyce when at Bolton was labelled a long ball manager but he still found ways to utilise the few quality flair players they unearthed.

Archived