v Oldham (A) Carabao Cup - Match Thread

Rample

Just back, can only beat what’s in front of you! 

Carson 7—solid 

bogle 6— good going forward not best at defending, times on his side! Big future

Keogh 7– solid 

tomori 8 — beast, wins everything, picks up all the second balls with pace

malone 7— solid 

Evans 7— looks good, mobile, good passer, little rusty but good workout 

Mount 8— was everywhere 

johnson 6– tries 

josefzoon 7– really like him, strong fast very tricky! 

Marriott 7– good footwork, good workout for him! Got some pace 

Wilson 7– it’s coming 

overall 7, good workout good result move on!

• Replies 448
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, thederbyram said:

Perfect timing as I've just got home (Manchester before you ask)! Hope everyone has a safe journey back tonight ?

Many moons ago we had a Mcr Supporters Club but it eventually disbanded. Well done thederby for flying the flag in the NW ??

I thought Marriot looks exciting. Low centre of gravity, quick and sees a pass quickly too. Works hard too. 

We will be ok once we gel and the players  play more instinctively. Atm, the ball is still being played across the back too slowly and disrupts any tempo. 

We could have scored a few more. Worryingly, we allowed way too many crosses to come in and didn’t deal with the particularly well. Lost count of the amount of clearances back into the middle of the box. Better sides will take those chances. 

Overall, a better performance. We are certainly a confidence team. Flashes of what we can do. The other thing to remember is that we are a scalp. More so now FL is the gaffer 

2 minutes ago, HorsforthRam said:

I thought Marriot looks exciting. Low centre of gravity, quick and sees a pass quickly too. Works hard too. 

Spot on. Pretty much how I saw it. Decent debut although you have to be mindful of the opposition. Works the defenders well when we haven't got the ball and when we have. Some clever movement off the ball just a shame we couldn't find the right pass. His endeavour deserved a goal.

4 minutes ago, Cam the Ram said:

Didn't see anything pre-game about him and haven't read much of this thread, but has there been anything said about why Holmes wasn't involved? 

Only a guess but I assume it's possibly similar to when Marriot first arrived that Frank doesn't see him as being physically fit enough to be involved yet.

2 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

His philosophy clearly includes attacking full backs...

Does it? Because in every game so far he’s played with one defensive full back (Wisdom) and one attacking (Lowe).

McClaren’s 4-3-3 worked best with only one attacking fullback (Forsyth). 

Maybe Frank wants to do a Fulham and have one either side. You might be right. But that hasn’t been evident so far.

They showed a move on sky Sports where 4 or 5 of our players are interchanging 1 touch passes through the Oldham side and it ends with Oldhams keeper making a finger tip save. Class stuff. Mount is a class player he could have over 10 goals by Christmas easily if he works hard enough and gets the chances. Malone looked really good and Is overall a solid player. Tomori is impressive his pace and power is a huge assett. Everyone worked hard tonight. Away is never easy in cup. Onto Millwall.....

If cliches are cliches it's because they have an element of truth, so tonight a potential banana skin was overcome, you can only beat the team in front of you and we take the win and the clean sheet and look forward to the next round. No doubt Frank will have learnt something from the game too. 

What I think I learnt was that the new signings we hadn't really seen before played well - Marriot was lively,  works very hard, lays the ball off well and is a handful (though he won't win too much in the air); George Evans is neat on the ball and passes well though his first half was better than his second; and Malone looks as if he needed the game, put some good crosses in and was steady in defence.

The other new signings - Flojo, Mount, Wilson, Waghorn, Tomori  - all contributed positively. Wilson should really have scored two. Perhaps Frank and his team can pick a player.

The academy had three representatives - Bogle, Bird and Bennett - all of whom did some good things.

And of the regulars, Carson made two excellent saves, Keogh was generally good (though he and Tomori lost out in the air too much) and Bradley was quietly effective. I know Brad ain't everyone's cup of tea but I like him, mostly because he allows the likes of Mount to play more expansively and also because we are better defensively with him playing well. Mount and Wilson need lesser but more disciplined/experienced players, like Brad, around them to cover for their mistakes whilst they are learning.

So, a win that puts smiles back on faces, suggests we have some good new players and a good spirit in the squad. Nothing especially memorable but a tough game deservedly won and a good night out

I think derby played a lot better it took one or two time to settle down total understandable. I throught bogle did well tonight and got forward well but also did a good job at right back. New left back did outstanding job player we signed from huddlefield town.

Masion mount did well and caused oldham all sorts of probleams. But took his goal fansticley well. 

Tourie did a good job at centre back I throught his goal was his I never saw oldham player touch it.

Marriot did well holding the ball and bring others into play. I liked what I saw a little bit unlucky nof to score himself.

I'm getting a weird sense of déjà vu here as the games I've seen thus far remind me a bit of the last games under Nigel Clough. Not style, of course, but the sense that there's a pretty good team there if we can just iron out a few issues. It might be counter-intuitive to mention the Leeds game as we were comfortably second-best, but with a little more composure, we could have given them a proper game. Last night's game seems heartening in that we avoided a banana skin and kept a clean sheet. We also saw that we have some depth to the squad against an admittedly inferior team though, I concede. Hearing that George and Chris are getting some proper gametime is also positive though I fear loans may be the way forward until January, at least. All things considered, I'm pretty hopeful that this might be a decent season for us Rams fans. COYR

Archived