v Oldham (A) Carabao Cup - Match Thread

Rample

• Replies 448
  • Created
  • Last Reply
28 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Will Hughes used to win more tackles than Johnson. 

Do you intend for that to come across as some kind of slight? or just a statement of fact? - if the latter then fair enough (I may have missed some earlier discussion, i cba to read through). 

The only two players to average more tackles than Will Hughes per game, in the last 5 years, are George Thorne and John Eustace. Hughes is a monster at winning the ball back.

Johnson's been top 5 at the club since he's been here, every season.

30 minutes ago, EnigmaRam said:

And the Johnson bashing starts a new! *sigh*

No bashing, I think saying he needs to improve his passing to fit in with our intended style is a constructive comment.

I can always say he is a brilliant passer of the ball if you want me to but it won't change reality. 

4 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

Do you intend for that to come across as some kind of slight? or just a statement of fact? - if the latter then fair enough (I may have missed some earlier discussion, i cba to read through). 

The only two players to average more tackles than Will Hughes per game, in the last 5 years, are George Thorne and John Eustace. Hughes is a monster at winning the ball back.

Hughes was a strange one. 5 stone wet through but used to put himself about. He used to have a strange way of tackling from the side or behind, and I noticed last night it is something Mount does a lot of too.

59 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

No bashing, I think saying he needs to improve his passing to fit in with our intended style is a constructive comment.

I can always say he is a brilliant passer of the ball if you want me to but it won't change reality. 

Totally agree he’s not the greatest passer. But most of his passes are risk reward forward balls not playing 1-2 with a CB for half the game like some of our mids do. 

He will always have a lower % pass rate when trying to be positive

1 hour ago, EnigmaRam said:

Totally agree he’s not the greatest passer. But most of his passes are risk reward forward balls not playing 1-2 with a CB for half the game like some of our mids do. 

He will always have a lower % pass rate when trying to be positive

But for a team wanting to dominate possession and play quick attacking football his 40 yard balls should not really be necessary 

34 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Hughes had something aa bit terrier like about him in that sense. He wasn't sstrong of physical bbut hewas skilled enough to get it back

You don't have to be built like a brick shithouse, you have to know how to use your body properly in the tackle - Hughes did.

2 hours ago, SaintRam said:

No, I just found it interesting. Pearson, the poster not the manager, often criticised Hughes for his poor strength and tackling. I just found it interesting that even though Johnson plays in an all action hero style that little Willy was very effective defensively.

I don't think Johnson is anything special when it comes to actual tackling. But what he does is win headers between boxes, something that is massively underrated, and he kicks people. I think he actually gave Leeds a bit of an uncomfortable ride just by being horrible.

I'm far from his biggest fan but on Saturday he did well

3 minutes ago, Alpha said:

No, I just found it interesting. Pearson, the poster not the manager, often criticised Hughes for his poor strength and tackling. I just found it interesting that even though Johnson plays in an all action hero style that little Willy was very effective defensively.

I don't think Johnson is anything special when it comes to actual tackling. But what he does is win headers between boxes, something that is massively underrated, and he kicks people. I think he actually gave Leeds a bit of an uncomfortable ride just by being horrible.

I'm far from his biggest fan but on Saturday he did well

So I had missed earlier chatter. Thanks for the clarity.

I am happy to backup your opinion with stats! (as long as your opinion is correct)

For those that are interested, a friend of mine who went to the game last night told me that it looked like Derby were playing 4-3-3 last night, but with the three in the middle a slightly different way around, as opposed to playing 4-2-3-1:

Carson

Bogle Keogh Tomori Malone

Evans Johnson

Mount

Jozefzoon Marriott Wilson

4 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Did you really have to check the stats?!?!

He just needs to understand his limitations, win the ball and give it to the nearest player. I don't want to watch a professional footballer regularly hitting 20 to 30 yard passes into touch.

Yes because I was curious to see if his passing is actually as bad as what we all make out.  Turns out it is..

7 hours ago, Premier ram said:

would like to give a big shout out to Bradley Johnson , not everybodys cup of tea , i understand that , but last night i thought he did the simple things very well and worked well with Evans , getting his foot in and letting the ball players do their thing , Brads very good in the air and provides a good shield for the defence with his strength and willingness to tackle , would keep him and Evans together for saturday , and no before anyone asks im NOT  Bradley Johnson

Of cause your not Bradley. You'd be posting on on the Derby City fans forum if you were.

9 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Has Johnson's passing ever been any good sInce he was here? If so, I don't recall it.

not his strongest point i agree , Brad needs to keep it simple and forget the attempted long passes, although saying that , the pass he made on the last day of the season against Barnsley when he put Jerome through to score was a beauty

8 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Did you really have to check the stats?!?!

He just needs to understand his limitations, win the ball and give it to the nearest player. I don't want to watch a professional footballer regularly hitting 20 to 30 yard passes into touch.

a bit like Geraint Williams used to do, win it and give it to John Gregory

Archived