v Oldham (A) Carabao Cup - Match Thread

Rample

• Replies 448
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

I wasn’t there but bearing in mind our league two opposition how did Marriott do?

A few nice touches, held the ball up well and was a menace for their defence.

Didn't get great service and only really had, what looked like, one decent chance. 

Much smaller than I thought he would be, won't be winning much in the air!

50 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

A few nice touches, held the ball up well and was a menace for their defence.

Didn't get great service and only really had, what looked like, one decent chance. 

Much smaller than I thought he would be, won't be winning much in the air!

Hmm I suppose he will need to excel at scoring then

17 minutes ago, Mr Giggles said:

How did Evans get on? 

Tidy. Looks composed on the ball and disciplined in his positioning. Made a couple of nice tackles and interceptions too. Gave the ball away a couple of times but think we can chalk that down to rust.

I'd have him in the side for Ledley starting Saturday.

52 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

Hmm I suppose he will need to excel at scoring then

He linked up with the wide men + Mount very well too, but I don't know how much of that is the fact we had space especially in the second half and managed to, as a team, run at Oldham's backline.

2 hours ago, EnigmaRam said:

Was it actually 4231 or is that an assumption playing Johnson and Evans. Or was they just more disciplined in how they played?

Just more disciplined. Honestly there's probably not much difference between a 4-3-3 and a 4-2-3-1, because the 3 midfielders will have different styles anyway. It's evident that Mount is more suited to playing further forward, but then we knew that with Hughes in a 4-3-3 didn't we?

Evans was better positionally by far than Ledley has been, so hopefully he's the key, but I suppose we'll see when Bryson's back in.

12 hours ago, RamsFan10 said:

Anyone who was there, how did Jozefoon, Marriott, Malone and Evans get on? 

All did well mate , Jozefzoon has got pace to burn , loves to take his man on , a potential crowd favourite , Marriott worked very hard , some nice touches, Malone , good going forward , composed on the ball , ok defensively , Evans was ok , a little rusty , played some good balls out wide , wouldnt complain if they all kept their place for Millwall

2 hours ago, Sparkle said:

I wasn’t there but bearing in mind our league two opposition how did Marriott do?

SSN were incredulous prior to game that he hadn’t been picked thus far without mentioning that clearly Frank hasn’t deemed him fit enough. Of all the signings he has me buzzing the most. I do believe we will have a goal machine in this lad and from what I gather he’s a character behind the scenes. 

Mentioned often before that Leeds were outstanding but almost the same squad as last year with a better manager, we have had so many, to everyone’s pleasant surprise, new faces added, gonna take time. SSA

would like to give a big shout out to Bradley Johnson , not everybodys cup of tea , i understand that , but last night i thought he did the simple things very well and worked well with Evans , getting his foot in and letting the ball players do their thing , Brads very good in the air and provides a good shield for the defence with his strength and willingness to tackle , would keep him and Evans together for saturday , and no before anyone asks im NOT  Bradley Johnson

8 minutes ago, Premier ram said:

would like to give a big shout out to Bradley Johnson , not everybodys cup of tea , i understand that , but last night i thought he did the simple things very well and worked well with Evans , getting his foot in and letting the ball players do their thing , Brads very good in the air and provides a good shield for the defence with his strength and willingness to tackle , would keep him and Evans together for saturday , and no before anyone asks im NOT  Bradley Johnson

Thought his passing first half was woeful. He seems to have this idea that every single pass has to be in the air.

Second half a lot better kept things simple.

Definitely provides the defence with more protection but needs to either play the simple pass or learn how to pass properly to fit into this team.

16 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Thought his passing first half was woeful. He seems to have this idea that every single pass has to be in the air.

Second half a lot better kept things simple.

Definitely provides the defence with more protection but needs to either play the simple pass or learn how to pass properly to fit into this team.

Probably a bit of hangover from Rowett ball where they were expected to hoof it forward for Weimann to chase like a dog at the park

23 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Has Johnson's passing ever been any good sInce he was here? If so, I don't recall it.

Remember one game last year (might have been the Leeds game I think) where he was spraying 40 yard passes all game. 

Think he has the ability, just needs to focus to keep spotting these passes. 

47 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Has Johnson's passing ever been any good sInce he was here? If so, I don't recall it.

No its not- just checked his passing stats and they are very poor. However I think it is being magnified now and we just need to accept Bradley for what he is. He is physically strong and puts a tackle in- pretty much guaranteed a yellow card and he is not shy to scoring goals either.  If he could pass and was a bit quicker he probably wouldn't be in this division.

22 minutes ago, Simsy said:

No its not- just checked his passing stats and they are very poor. However I think it is being magnified now and we just need to accept Bradley for what he is. He is physically strong and puts a tackle in- pretty much guaranteed a yellow card and he is not shy to scoring goals either.  If he could pass and was a bit quicker he probably wouldn't be in this division.

Did you really have to check the stats?!?!

He just needs to understand his limitations, win the ball and give it to the nearest player. I don't want to watch a professional footballer regularly hitting 20 to 30 yard passes into touch.

Archived