Martyn Waghorny - Signed on a 3 year deal

Carnero

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, RamLad1884 said:

You need two top strikers to get out of this league, I'm not sure that it's a case of 'first choice' rather Marriott and Waghorn will be competing for the start each week. The way Mason Bennett has been praised of late makes me think he's our third choice striker for the season. 

Bennett always seems to make an impact when coming on off the bench.. we saw it Friday night as a prime example and I can remember a few games he got on in 12-13 (I believe) season he often brought excitement and changed the match. Now with more experience he is a great player to have to bring on. 

58 minutes ago, Jortat said:

Suffolk ram here and my mate who trains the youngsters at Ipswich has said that the fee for Waghorn is 3m rising to 5m if (when) we get promoted.( That’s the chat around the club over the weekend)

As far as Ipswich are concerned, he is on his way to Derby ,end of really.

Just the medical and the deal will be done.

Thats the word on the country dirt track from sunny Suffolk.

If that fee is correct, it makes me feel a whole lot better about the transfer. For the most effective player in the league last year, that's not a bad price really. Getting Marriott and Waghorn for £6-7 million total seems like very decent business to me, if the figures are to be believed!

From Sky transfer centre.

SHEFFIELD UTD MANAGER CHRIS WILDER ON WAGHORN, 

Sheffield United manager Chris Wilder has issued an update the Blades’ pursuit of Martyn Waghorn and the reported interest in their defender Jack O’Connell. 

On Waghorn…

“He’s a player that interests us but we’ve been blown out of the water in terms of the wages that the club he’s going to have offered. We can’t break our wage structure and we couldn’t go to the fee Ipswich wanted.”

He's on his way by the sound of it!! 

I still stick to my original stance of not being 100% convinced on this deal. Still think 5m is a risk myself and hold concerns over the quality of some of his general play, but you can’t deny his final finish/ pass last season tbf. If he can replicate that sort of form here then I’ll delighted. Just concerned it’s a bit of a big if. Guess I’ll just have to trust frank knows what he’s doing, we’ve definately been crying out for a striker more suited to the system and Waghorn certainly is that. Just wonder if there really aren’t any better options out there for our new number 9... Waghorn has a massive role this season so let’s hope he lives up to it.

Looks like a stronger, hard working version of Vydra to me.... he can certainly finish from what I’ve seen.  Plenty of penalties in his time at Rangers but scored goals with his left, right foot both in and out of the box.  A few with his head as well.  A lot of assists at Ipswich from corners although I’m not sure I’d want my number 9 taking corners - no doubting he has a quality left foot for set pieces though

6 minutes ago, Rab a dab doo said:

Still waiting for final confirmation he's signed on the correct dotted line.

Thanks for raising the spectre of Keiftenbeld.

3 minutes ago, Rab a dab doo said:

First ones in get pegs to hang their clothes if your late tough its a pile on the floor.  

Not only that, the shortage of kit means the late-comers will have to train in their pants.

9 hours ago, deano180 said:

Maybe MM comments on FFP were designed to help with reducing expectations from the fans and help support negotiations with other clubs for players?

...or perhaps help any erstwhile staff/management to make a decision to seek gainful employment in the staffordshire environs/locale. ?

Archived