Martyn Waghorny - Signed on a 3 year deal

Carnero

2 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

Don't get me wrong - I think Waghorn will suit us far more than Vydra but didn't Ipswich pay around £250k for Waghorn and now they're selling him for £5m? If we go up then it won't have mattered much what we paid but as it stands it looks to me as though it's Ipswich who are doing the best business. Forget the original £8m - I think that was just paper talk. With 2 clubs involved in a bidding war (something we, when wanting to sell a player never seem to experience) Ipswich will be delighted with a £4.75m profit.

Man United allowed Paul Pogba to leave for nothing and then signed him back for 80 million.

Sometimes the money side of things in footy makes no sense so try not to get bogged down with it.

If Waghorn scores goals, or allows others to it will be a good deal for derby.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

Don't get me wrong - I think Waghorn will suit us far more than Vydra but didn't Ipswich pay around £250k for Waghorn and now they're selling him for £5m? If we go up then it won't have mattered much what we paid but as it stands it looks to me as though it's Ipswich who are doing the best business. Forget the original £8m - I think that was just paper talk. With 2 clubs involved in a bidding war (something we, when wanting to sell a player never seem to experience) Ipswich will be delighted with a £4.75m profit.

For me the problem isn't what we're paying now, more that we didn't see the potential when he moved for £250k. We have to sort our scouting out. Does anyone know if the scouts have changed since FL came in?

1 minute ago, AshfieldRam said:

I just don't get how we can possibly be within FFP. 

You just know that we'll be the first team to get royally F**ked by it too when everyone else gets a slight telling off

How many more times......

We don't have to be until June. If Derby are close to the wire, then expect sales in January.

43 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

One last roll of the dice. Promotion or bust. 

Unfortunately, I believe this is more likely the case than Mel being a shrewd businessman or some FFP wizard.

I think if we hadn't gotten Lampard in we'd be seeing the conservative rebuild we were promised, controlling our finances with some safe/unfashionable manager at the helm, ready for a proper go the following year when half the squad's contracts run out.

So it's looking like our options for our front 3 this season will be 

LF: Lawrence, Waghorn, Wilson, Bennett, Thomas
CF: Waghorn, Marriott, Bennett, Nugent
RF: Wilson, Jozefzoon, Waghorn, Bennett

This is naturally assuming that Blackman, Jerome, Vydra, Anya and Martin are moved on.

Martin is the only one of that list with whom there is doubt over him being surplus to requirements, due to his difficulties.

So that's... 6 players across 3 positions, with 2 youth backups - which is the sort of depth you're aiming for.

12 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

250k was an absolute steal. Leicester paid 3 million about 8 years ago when that was a decent amount of money, he’s probably worth about 3 million now, but with another interested party, you end up having to pay more if you want your man.

14 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

So it's looking like our options for our front 3 this season will be 

LF: Lawrence, Waghorn, Wilson, Bennett, Thomas
CF: Waghorn, Marriott, Bennett, Nugent
RF: Wilson, Jozefzoon, Waghorn, Bennett

This is naturally assuming that Blackman, Jerome, Vydra, Anya and Martin are moved on.

Martin is the only one of that list with whom there is doubt over him being surplus to requirements, due to his difficulties.

So that's... 6 players across 3 positions, with 2 youth backups - which is the sort of depth you're aiming for.

Especially considering that the wide/flair players usually tend to be inconsistent so rotation with quality players is a must.

Where does £250k come from? Rangers said it was close to a million but undisclosed. Ipswich said it was a 'substantial fee' but MM said it was nowhere near a million. 

Either way it doesnt matter. Remember we paid nothing for Martin yet people were up in arms when Fulham paid £3m to borrow him. 

I even suspect the £5m is not a straight up number. 

Look at Wolves for the Boro player. Was quoted as £18-20m last week. Its actually £10m with the rest staged over years and years. 

Rember there is a value to other clubs getting income split over future years. 

A club the size of Ipswich are not near FFP particularly so they just have to create income. A big income this year is only useful if they spend it all... Which they won't. Far better for them to bring £2m now. £2m next season. Plus £500k if we get Promoted and £500k if he scores 10 goals. A single year cash injection isn't all it cracked up to be with FFP. It's about income streams. 

26 minutes ago, gccrowdpleaser said:

Far better for them to bring £2m now. £2m next season. Plus £500k if we get Promoted and £500k if he scores 10 goals.

Correct in part, but your mixing up cashflow and income.

The guaranteed part, in your example £4m would have to be recognised in year one of the accounts as it is guaranteed.

The £500k + £500k would then be recognised as they become payable.

9 minutes ago, Carnero said:

Correct in part, but your mixing up cashflow and income.

The guaranteed part, in your example £4m would have to be recognised in year one of the accounts as it is guaranteed.

The £500k + £500k would then be recognised as they become payable.

Depends how you write the contract. If you write it in such a way that its payable on the completion of each season that he plays or in full if he is sold then it can be moved into each year. As long as it is tied to something achievable/milestoned then it isn't guaranteed until that is completed. 

Its becoming more common to have contract jiggery pokery in order to adress these kinds of issues. 

1 minute ago, SuperDerbySuperRams said:

When you consider the cost of Bamford, I actually think we’ve got quite a good deal. 

Was just thinking the same thing. Waghorn offers more versatility than Bamford, and had a much better campaign last season. 

Think he’ll be a good signing. Sounds daft, but have you watched his “You Know The Drill” video with Sky Sports? It’s very good ?

Archived