Martyn Waghorny - Signed on a 3 year deal

Carnero

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Rab a dab doo said:

Who was it who said "you can never have enough good strikers".

It's just that we take it literally and one step further.

Probably Kevin Keegan when he lost the league with Newcastle. Certainly wasn't GR?

For me its means a lot when a player chooses your club other another club in the same league who many have backed for promotion? Does this mean that Waghorn is impressed with what the club is planning to do? Hopefully. He is a very good player, someone who will always put in a shift and can dominate defence's, He can score goals and can assist. Hes one player i wouldn't want to play against. 

My position is the same as it ever was, he's not seen as a spectacular signing because no-one's really seen/thought/cared much about him since his Leicester days.

His recent seasons have been north of the border and at Ipswich and I'll be completely honest I couldn't have told you up until a few weeks ago he was at Ipswich, let alone he scored 16 last season.

All that aside, he is a pretty safe choice, he works hard so we know there is more to his game than goals, but has form in this division so should be able to deliver them too.

The other thing counting against him is that maybe people were hoping for an up and coming England prospect, not a striker in his late 20s.

To paraphrase The Dark Knight - "he may not be the striker we want, but he could be the striker we need."

1 minute ago, Edtheram said:

For me its means a lot when a player chooses your club other another club in the same league who many have backed for promotion? Does this mean that Waghorn is impressed with what the club is planning to do? Hopefully. He is a very good player, someone who will always put in a shift and can dominate defence's, He can score goals and can assist. Hes one player i wouldn't want to play against. 

Choose Derby ,choose Frankie. I think it's safe to say his ability to attract players looks very good indeed.Albeit Middlesboro is an absolute dump. 

Hi All, i have been having a read of this forum for a while and thought i would finally stop being an anti social twit and sign up. Personally, i think Waghorn will be a decent signing adding goals and assists. As for us having a high number of strikers on the books, i think we will see a couple leave this week on loan. Martin being one along with Blackman. And we might possibly see Nugent leave on a permanent deal to Sheff Utd. I rate Nugent but his legs are going and Waghorn will do the same type of job. I have just seen that WBA have signed Gale on loan. WBA have just upped their promotion chances. At least Stoke didn't get him.

Suffolk ram here and my mate who trains the youngsters at Ipswich has said that the fee for Waghorn is 3m rising to 5m if (when) we get promoted.( That’s the chat around the club over the weekend)

As far as Ipswich are concerned, he is on his way to Derby ,end of really.

Just the medical and the deal will be done.

Thats the word on the country dirt track from sunny Suffolk.

7 minutes ago, Jortat said:

Suffolk ram here and my mate who trains the youngsters at Ipswich has said that the fee for Waghorn is 3m rising to 5m if (when) we get promoted.( That’s the chat around the club over the weekend)

As far as Ipswich are concerned, he is on his way to Derby ,end of really.

Just the medical and the deal will be done.

Thats the word on the country dirt track from sunny Suffolk.

Local Jorno Stuart Watson has said 5 upfront with extra 2.5 add ons 

1 minute ago, deano180 said:

Local Jorno Stuart Watson has said 5 upfront with extra 2.5 add ons 

Chatter about the club and what the PR people have told the press are both untrustowrthy figures,

But without really knowing I think I'd take club chatter over the press.

When the official figure is undisclosed, clubs can "rumour" to the press whatever they like, and the press will run it. 

10 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

When the official figure is undisclosed, clubs can "rumour" to the press whatever they like, and the press will run it.

I wish more people would understand this.

It's no co-incidence that, with nearly all transfers, the highest fee you'll hear quoted originally comes from a local ITK of the selling club.

Not commented for quite some time  but this season does feel different. Think Waghorn would do a good job but we do need to try and shift out some of the other strikers I agree that Nugent could be on his way which is a shame as I really rate him and love the passion . Blackman, Martin and Vydra could all go for me, Frank says all the right things about Vydra but it’s clear he doesn’t have a future in how we want to play moving forward 

34 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

To be fair the figures will be difficult to calculate over in Ipswich if they are using their fingers to count.

It’s not very often I do but I actually laughed out loud when I read this! 

Archived