Martyn Waghorny - Signed on a 3 year deal

Carnero

Devils advocate. How much would we want for a 28 year old forward who had the most goals and assists combined in the division last year? 

Before laughing off the price it’s worth considering how we’d feel if we received the sort of money our fans want to pay for someone with the season he had last year.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

Devils advocate. How much would we want for a 28 year old forward who had the most goals and assists combined in the division last year? 

Before laughing off the price it’s worth considering how we’d feel if we received the sort of money our fans want to pay for someone with the season he had last year.

Good point @IlsonDerby ??

8m looks silly to me, but it's important I think to keep level headed if he does sign. Some players just become hampered by their price tag and so it could be a self-fulfilling prophecy if start laying into the poor guy already.

I really hope this doesn’t happen, certainly not at the price quoted. I thought we as a club were moving away from paying inflated fees for players, especially average one season wonders like Waghorn. There has to be better value players than him out there surely? 

13 minutes ago, Jayram said:

I really hope this doesn’t happen, certainly not at the price quoted. I thought we as a club were moving away from paying inflated fees for players, especially average one season wonders like Waghorn. There has to be better value players than him out there surely? 

I think our management team have got everything spot on at the moment and I'd go with their judgement and none of our supporters. 

Well going from the reactions on here he’s got a lot to prove if he signs. That £8m price tag does taint the deal (although, if true I imagine a lot of that would be add-ons from the bottomless Promotion money).

Just wondering if the fan base would be that against signing him if he came on a free? He’s just the sort of player we’ve needed for a while, in my opinion.

The short sightedness of the clubs transfer policy in recent years in truly shocking. MW was signed for £250,000 just 12 months ago now we’re going to pay somewhere around £8m for him? 

Mid we are going for Waghorn and Marriott you’d assume Vydra is on his way out. His transfer fee basically covers these 2 players. We have got to start moving some players out our squad is ridiculous.

7 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

The game has well and truly gone if we sign Waghorn for £8m.

I would say the game had truly gone when teams started paying  £50m for full backs and players to sit on their bench. 

In comparison, £8m for someone who contributed to 27 goals last season looks reasonable. 

9 minutes ago, QuitYourJibbaJivin said:

The short sightedness of the clubs transfer policy in recent years in truly shocking. MW was signed for £250,000 just 12 months ago now we’re going to pay somewhere around £8m for him? 

Mid we are going for Waghorn and Marriott you’d assume Vydra is on his way out. His transfer fee basically covers these 2 players. We have got to start moving some players out our squad is ridiculous.

Who has said we are paying  £8m for him?

We seem to sign all these players that completely rely on pace just as they are getting old enough to start losing all their pace. E.g. Nugent and jerome..having said that, if he can bag the goals that gets us to the premier league over the next couple of years it's money well spent

Every season, Ipswich seem to have a player who performs exceptionally well. McGoldrick one year, then Lawrence, then Waghorn.  It's a bit early to judge on Lawrence (although he did start becoming a bigger threat for us once he settled in), but Waghorn and McGoldrick haven't really showed any signs of being able to replicate those seasons based on their careers to date.

I've been more than happy with everything FL and team have done so far, and really hope Marriott is still on the cards, but Waghorn for anywhere near £8m would be very disappointing and short-sighted for me

Just now, MK-Ram said:

Every season, Ipswich seem to have a player who performs exceptionally well. McGoldrick one year, then Lawrence, then Waghorn.  It's a bit early to judge on Lawrence (although he did start becoming a bigger threat for us once he settled in), but Waghorn and McGoldrick haven't really showed any signs of being able to replicate those seasons based on their careers to date.

I've been more than happy with everything FL and team have done so far, and really hope Marriott is still on the cards, but Waghorn for anywhere near £8m would be very disappointing and short-sighted for me

Note - When he signs and finishes on 25 goals, I clouding the goal that clinches promotion, please don't remind me of this...

9 minutes ago, MK-Ram said:

I don't believe for a second we're spending £8m on Waghorn, that's pie in the sky numbers maybe leaked to placate Ipswich fans, no idea - It's not true though.

Archived