Martyn Waghorny - Signed on a 3 year deal

Carnero

Just now, EraniosSocks said:

Just read on Twitter it could be a 3m bid plus 2 players for Waghorn.. would work 

Terms like that would be possibly be a decent deal for us, but how many deals do you see like that? They're not too common.

If we could do something like that including Blackman and Jerome for example, then we'd probably be better off financially, would be lighter in numbers and have a slightly higher-quality squad.

I just can't get my head around the £8m fee. Struggling to see how it could even be possible.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Kernow said:

Impressive season but still too similar to Nick Blackman for me. One good season at this level and he'll turn 29 during the upcoming season. He would still be a gamble. As a joint record signing, I don't think you can afford that to be a gamble.

The only positive is I can't see us bidding £8m. If we have then it'll be accepted in an instant, and if not then Ipswich are bigger fools than us.

I'd be happy with him if Vydra leaves because he can play multiple positions and seems like a player who would suit Frank's system. The £8 million fee is way too much but I'm hoping it's more along the lines of 4 or 5 million up front and the rest should we go up

Just now, Kernow said:

Terms like that would be possibly be a decent deal for us, but how many deals do you see like that? They're not too common.

If we could do something like that including Blackman and Jerome for example, then we'd probably be better off financially, would be lighter in numbers and have a slightly higher-quality squad.

I just can't get my head around the £8m fee. Struggling to see how it could even be possible.

Blackman and Butterfield.....nice...….

Just now, Kernow said:

Zero chance theyll get near 8m if its true hes handed a request in.

Hes ducked their position if he has.

5 minutes ago, LB_DCFC said:

3227817C-210F-4A94-A466-54898213F997.thumb.png.dfbdb70faf18306a736d432bc2fb5f43.png 

clam down everybody. The article did say £8m rated Waghorn, not that we’re spending £8m

Another Nicko scoop - 'Derby may or may not be talking to Waghorn. They might buy him but they haven't yet'.

No flies on you, sunshine!

6 minutes ago, Kernow said:

Impressive season but still too similar to Nick Blackman for me. One good season at this level and he'll turn 29 during the upcoming season. He would still be a gamble. As a joint record signing, I don't think you can afford that to be a gamble.

The only positive is I can't see us bidding £8m. If we have then it'll be accepted in an instant, and if not then Ipswich are bigger fools than us.

He is no Nick Blackman - more of a Jamie ward type - if the price was right 

Just now, Cam the Ram said:

I'd be happy with him if Vydra leaves because he can play multiple positions and seems like a player who would suit Frank's system. The £8 million fee is way too much but I'm hoping it's more along the lines of 4 or 5 million up front and the rest should we go up

If we start the season with Marriott and Waghorn as main choice strikers, plus one third choice out of our current players, and then sell or loan out the rest then you'd have to think we'd probably be stronger. They would also be Lampard's choices so you'd think they'd suit us better than any we currently have. But I genuinely wouldn't want us to spend any more than £3.5m or so to be honest. I think given his inconsistent record he's still a gamble, plus he's fast approaching his thirties which is something we aren't short of.

If we're hoping to play 4-3-3, which is the formation which looks to give us the most balance, then we're going to potentially have Marriott, Waghorn, Wilson, Jozefzoon and Lawrence for the front three positions. You could then possibly add Bennett and Thomas as squad players, which would give us seven players for three positions. That's more than enough, but we'd then have the issue of trying to cut Vydra, Jerome, Nugent, Blackman and Martin out of the squad. That's a lot of work to do in about 2 weeks.

Archived