Martyn Waghorny - Signed on a 3 year deal

Carnero

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, lukedcfc said:

8m for waghorn, I hope we don't sign him personally. This signing, which looks imminent, doesn't excite me in the slightest. I don't think we need him, I hope talks break down to be honest. 

Do you know how he plays by any chance? Or are you judgeing him on his reputation in the game? 

22 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

http://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/11447950/wilder-price-too-steep-for-waghorn

This is interesting... 

Wilder: 'in a pre-season that has seen so many clubs under transfer embargo and can't sign players.....'

I don't know who on earth he is getting at, perhaps Villa & Birmingham?

Birmingham, villa, Bolton, QPR, sheff Wed. 

Blackburn, Wigan, Rotherham and Leeds all yet to spend any money. 

4 minutes ago, oldtimeram said:

So Marriot is out of the window now then? 

No, we're supposedly after both. And Marriott was withdrawn from Peterborough's friendly today for unknown reasons, but it wasn't an injury as he continued to warm up at half time

I'm not convinced about signing Waghorn at all, but at £8m it'd be insane (in a bad way). He just a slightly quicker version of Luke Varney. Unless of course the £8m is made up from the previous transfer fees of the players we're swapping for him. Perm any couple from Johnson, Buttercrab, Anya and Blackman and Ipswich have a deal - £8m worth of our dead would for an average journeyman striker. Seems fair enough to me.

OK, here's what I think is happening. 

We have 2 players with residual FFP value of say 3m on the books. We use then as make weight in the deal for Waghorn. Pay 3m cash plus players with a total deal valued at 8m.

Bingo! 

2m FFP profit on the outgoing players, wages off the bill too, and suddenly we have FFP breathing space to get Marriot in. 

Bloody brilliant accounting wheeze I reckon. 

We may have had some poo managers recently, but our finance team bows to no one! 

Unexpected news this when I got off a plane.. 8m?! That’s a huge amount of money for someone who apart from a fantastic year last year, has done very little in his career to date, and isn’t getting younger either. You’d have to think there’s better out there for that money, considering they’d be our new big money centre forward. Not a bad player by any means and one possibly more suited to the formation than Marriott, but not one to really set the pulses racing. Outs obviously needed too.

Thing the figures being knocked around are probably a little off. P'boro's local paper suggests today that a bid of 4.75 mill has been agreed for Marriott, I dare say some of that is in add ons. 

Why would this deal be any different? Most likely amount guareenteed with the rest adding up to 8 mill if he meets certain criteria. 

Archived