Bugger all happening

oldtimeram

10 hours ago, Nuwtfly said:

What date does the window shut? I can’t decide whether we’re just doing very well at doing all our work in secret, or whether we’re naively thinking we can leave it all till the last minute. 

5pm Thursday 9th August and loans can come in until the 31st August. 

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Strange isn't it. Pre-season friendlies start this weekend but there's been no real movement.

I think we all expected at least to have 4 Chelsea loanees in by 1st of July, but stepping away from things they still haven't resolved their manager issues for whatever reason, and nothing major is going to happen until he is in place to sign off on things. I don't think the players loaned out so far are those who would be considered for the first team squad. I imagine we're hoping for fringe players. 

I'm also going to put a lot of it down to the world cup, the merry go round will start picking up from next week when players are back in the country.

Clubs who can afford to have a £30k a week player hanging around for extra cover even if they have no realistic chance of making the bench will keep hold until they are totally surplus to requirements, the risk is too great not to.

Loan players especially will likely only be allowed out once the permanent window is closed, except in circumstances where the players club have decided that is optimal to his development. 

The result is we're still going to be seeing what works and what doesn't well into the opening weeks of the season. 

Looking at it pragmatically this will give Lampard more time with what we have in more competitive situations. It could be as a result Martin and Vydra click in pre-season, or one of the youngsters makes a profound impact, and that ultimately could see us change our priorities regards who we bring in.

All this aside I suspect Frank is already being very diligent, which is exactly what I would expect from him.

I don't mind not snapping up free agents, they often aren't the bargains they appear, especially in terms of wages and any resale value.

Most of the time you're better to pay a few million for something you need rather than grabbing sale items and spending all your money on nice things that really aren't that useful, especially given our wage bill.

I share a lot of the sentiments of @Rample and have been doing something thinking about this.

It's actually not a massive surprise to see we haven't done any business yet.

If you think about it realistically, what are we expected to do this summer? Three things pop into my mind:

1) Shift as many players as possible

2) Bring in some loan players from Chelsea

3) Sign one, maybe two, permanent signings (due to demand to lessen the squad and decrease the wage bill)

To start with, 1) can only happen if there's a buyer. We've shown already that we are willing to do business by shifting Andi Weimann very quickly, but others may take a bit more time. I wouldn't be surprised to see at least 3/4 more players leave over the next month, and that's not including Matej Vydra, which is still very much up in the air.

The Chelsea loan players mentioned in 2) are likely to be taking a lot longer due to Chelsea's manager situation. I know some players have already left Chelsea on loan, but none of them are what you would consider to be the really high-stock youth players at the club. Players like Mount, Palmer and Abraham are valuable assets to that club, so I would expect the Blues to take a lot longer when deciding their futures.

And finally, I think 3) is obviously quite dependant on 1) - we have to spend within our means and not fall into the trap that many Championship clubs do regularly. 

1 hour ago, Nuwtfly said:

The Chelsea loan players mentioned in 2) are likely to be taking a lot longer due to Chelsea's manager situation. I know some players have already left Chelsea on loan, but none of them are what you would consider to be the really high-stock youth players at the club. Players like Mount, Palmer and Abraham are valuable assets to that club, so I would expect the Blues to take a lot longer when deciding their futures.

I personally think only Abraham is likely to be anywhere near their 1st team but even then they have Morata, Giroud and is Batshuayi, there is also talk of Higuain joining them but I would imagine thats with Morata leaving.

Palmer and Mount are battling with a lot of other centre mids there already and Chelsea are close to adding another in Jorginho. They will have him, Kante, Barkley, Drinkwater, Bakayoko, Loftus-Cheek, Fabregas & Van Ginkel all probably ahead of them. They will both go on loan, hopefully its to us!

On 11/07/2018 at 15:52, DCFC1388 said:

Calling out @BulloRams - do you have any new information? You said about Shay Given before anyone else. I think we all could do with some new info

Nothing really to tell I’m afraid. Seems like there’s not a lot we can do until we shift players and players don’t want to move because of the money they’re currently on is too good. 

If you can get passed all the adverts... Pretty standard statement, but he does say that there 'will be' signings. To all those panicking for some reason, stuff will happen, still 3 weeks left in the transfer window and 7 for the loan window. 

It's difficult for Frank because how is he supposed to know who to sell, unless the club receives a great offer for a player. Weimann is the only player we've received a good fee for. The majority of fans know we've got a massive squad, I don't want to harp on about the players I wish to get rid of, there's too many to list and moan about. It'll be good for Frank to have a look at all the players then I think within a couple of weeks he might start thinking more about ins and outs. I'm not too worried, plenty of time left. I think fans are making a bigger issue out of it because they're abit bored of not having any daily club updates.

4 hours ago, LB_DCFC said:

If you can get passed all the adverts... Pretty standard statement, but he does say that there 'will be' signings. To all those panicking for some reason, stuff will happen, still 3 weeks left in the transfer window and 7 for the loan window. 

It doesn't say that at all. It says that there will be changes to the squad but does not anywhere say we WILL be making signings.

Archived