World Cup 2018 thread

jackhasler23

Just now, Alpha said:

I think France have looked good in a way. I mean the worst of them hasn't been that bad. They are still solid enough. They can go long and physical. They aren't arsed about having to go through sustained periods defending or long periods of breaking teams down. They can counter. 

4 games in I think we've seen them be ugly and effective and pretty and devastating.

They just look like they are equipped for anyone. 

It's hard to tell with England and Belgium. Would be able to tell more if the game between them wasn't a friendly. England's first 11 haven't had to go through any period of pressure. They've not won ugly. Think they might have uncomfortable periods v Colombia and then we'll see?

That’s why I’m a bit nervous for the England match. Of course the rest could benefit the team but it could also go the other way where they lack sharpness due to amount of time that the first 11 has had time off. As you said, the two games weren’t difficult for them. Meanwhile, Colombia have had to “fight” in all three matches so that could potentially give them an advantage in terms of match intensity?

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Red cards ruin games, and theres no excuse for missing a penalty. Ive supported that rule change since it was introduced.

Judging by the fact people dont seem that aware of it, it cant be doing much wrong, this is the most controversial consequence of it in the 2+ years its been in the game. 

And in this game the rule had no consequence on the game at all.

3 minutes ago, Alpha said:

I think France have looked good in a way. I mean the worst of them hasn't been that bad. They are still solid enough. They can go long and physical. They aren't arsed about having to go through sustained periods defending or long periods of breaking teams down. They can counter. 

4 games in I think we've seen them be ugly and effective and pretty and devastating.

They just look like they are equipped for anyone. 

It's hard to tell with England and Belgium. Would be able to tell more if the game between them wasn't a friendly. England's first 11 haven't had to go through any period of pressure. They've not won ugly. Think they might have uncomfortable periods v Colombia and then we'll see?

I'm not convinced with France yet. They breezed through quite a simple group in truth. I don't think they looked hugely convincing defensively vs Argentina, and I have to question how Pogba will look vs a team that gives him no time. Pogba was given acres of space vs Argentina to do whatever he wanted. I think a better team will cut that space out. 

I rate Mbappe, he looks quick and strong and could hurt any defense, but I struggle to rate Griezmann. I always wonder what he actually does, I've never seen him hugely create.

I can see Uruguay causing France some problems, they'll sit deep and be really tough to break down, and I think France's defense may struggle with Cavani and Suarez. 

Colombia should be a great test for England. They can play with some tempo on the front foot, and have more quality then what we have faces so far. I'd expect, if we played how we potentially could, we should get through it, but I'm not completely confident. 

I suspect Belgium might crumble vs Brazil.

4 minutes ago, McLovin said:

That’s why I’m a bit nervous for the England match. Of course the rest could benefit the team but it could also go the other way where they lack sharpness due to amount of time that the first 11 has had time off. As you said, the two games weren’t difficult for them. Meanwhile, Colombia have had to “fight” in all three matches so that could potentially give them an advantage in terms of match intensity?

Question is - do you think Colombia, without James Rodriguez, or with only partially fit James Rodriguez, have enough quality to break England down?

1 minute ago, Andicis said:

Question is - do you think Colombia, without James Rodriguez, or with only partially fit James Rodriguez, have enough quality to break England down?

It depends on the tactics for me. Will Southgate be humble enough to sacrifice possession against Colombia or will he attempt to dominate the game? It may be easier for Colombia if England come out and attack as Colombia have the speed on the counter attack with the likes of Muriel and cuadrado on the counter. Sounds silly but I think the team who doesn’t try to dominate the game will win as both team suit playing on the counter. I suspect that Henderson may man mark Quintero.

1 minute ago, McLovin said:

It depends on the tactics for me. Will Southgate be humble enough to sacrifice possession against Colombia or will he attempt to dominate the game? It may be easier for Colombia if England come out and attack as Colombia have the speed on the counter attack with the likes of Muriel and cuadrado on the counter. Sounds silly but I think the team who doesn’t try to dominate the game will win as both team suit playing on the counter. I suspect that Henderson may man mark Quintero.

Well we all know, the game can't go to penalties or England are out. So I suspect we'll try play on the front foot and win the game, as opposed to playing it safe. I'd like to think with set pieces/ quality from Lingard or Alli in the final third we'll have enough to unlock the Colombian defense. Man marking Quintero is a good idea. He seems a key man for Colombia.

1 hour ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

What I am looking forward to most about Tuesday on here is the energy vampires draining all the fun out of the game in the hope that their tactical guesses are mistaken for genius.

Are you trying to suggest that some people on here who have maybe played for a pub team know less than Southgate who's played at the very highest level and coached at it too?

How dare you sir?!!!

1 hour ago, Andicis said:

Well we all know, the game can't go to penalties or England are out. So I suspect we'll try play on the front foot and win the game, as opposed to playing it safe. I'd like to think with set pieces/ quality from Lingard or Alli in the final third we'll have enough to unlock the Colombian defense. Man marking Quintero is a good idea. He seems a key man for Colombia.

Him and Jimmy Rodgers. Sort those 2 out and we'll be minted ?

1 hour ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

What I am looking forward to most about Tuesday on here is the energy vampires draining all the fun out of the game in the hope that their tactical guesses are mistaken for genius.

I hope we play 443 to be honest 

Is there a media blackout or has this World Cup gone by without incident so far? Does some credit go to the media for predicting mass riots and multiple deaths which made the numpties after a shandy think twice before taking on the Russians?

Might be an idea to keep the World Cup in Russia permanently.

*Not all fans are numpties, this is just about the numpties and not just the English numpties.

4 minutes ago, David said:

Is there a media blackout or has this World Cup gone by without incident so far? Does some credit go to the media for predicting mass riots and multiple deaths which made the numpties after a shandy think twice before taking on the Russians?

Might be an idea to keep the World Cup in Russia permanently.

*Not all fans are numpties, this is just about the numpties and not just the English numpties.

The thing with police states, is the police are quite good at knowing who the trouble makers are and rounding them up. I think the journalists from overseas would on a sniff of a story in a flash,there's probably a few out there just looking for "that" story.

7 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

Very happy that Spain are out due to Sergio Ramos cheating. They would of got that penalty if Ramos had not been fouling his opponent.

He’s got away with it for years but VAR has found him out.

Just seen that for the first time. It’s Ramos giving as good as he got. If you give a penalty you have to give a simultaneous free kick to Russia. 

I think to get a penalty it’s got to be clearly one way wrestling, with a passive and an aggressive party. If both parties are grappling with each other, how can you possibly decide if it’s a free kick or a penalty. 

also, if I’m the ref I’m thinking ‘duck you spain, you’ve had 118 minutes to put these guys away, and you’ve been fannying about. No way I’m letting you win it on a dubious, soft penalty in the last minute (and especially not while Putin knows where I live). You’ve made your bed now lie in it’.

Archived