World Cup 2018 thread

jackhasler23

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Spain played some of the best football I’ve ever seen in Euro 2008.

At the WC 2010 and Euro 2012 it was still really good, but the tone was set and forwards like Torres and David Villa were being replaced by fake 9s such as Fabregas.

Since then they’ve been way too arrogant in their approach and philosophy. 

And Germany followed suit. 

You don't want your wingers and strikers being direct every time but you know you can put 9 men between your goal and the 18 yard box and Spain and Germany will still try to pass through you. They'll even wait until you have 9 men back. 

There's still something to be said for having height and strength for set pieces and direct attackers who aren't looking for a pass that isn't on. 

And Portugal and Argentina gave the impression that they work for their star players because hardly anyone else works together. No partnerships that doesn't include their stars. 

I love nice crisp passing but if it's not on then be direct. Watching Modric here he takes a second to decide whether the short play is on or if it's time to skip a few players out. Always looking forward first too. 

Thought Mandzukic was supposed to be good? He's pretty slow with everything he does

21 minutes ago, G-Ram said:

One of, England, Croatia, Switzerland, Denmark, Russia, Sweden or Colombia are going to be in the World Cup Final. Madness.

Could there be a shifting of the guard happening.

Argies are mostly old and finished.

Spain need to change as their last great players retire.

Portugal aren't much good but Ronaldo made them dangerous.

Italy don't seem to produce any great players these days.

Germany will have loads of retirments and possibly a new manager. Depends what their youth players are like.

Netherlands seem just woeful these days.

Chile's best players are all knackered after running like crazy for the last 8-10 years.

Regardless of what ends up happening in this world cup, I feel like France, Brazil, Belguim and us are looking well set for the next for the next few years.

France and Belgium have lots of clear talent but are probably held back by average managers. France especially have lots of youth so could be good for ages.

Brazil could be great again if they get a manager in who kicks that tw at Neymar into becoming a team player.

And as for England, we have hope for the first time in ages. Loads of young players in the squad. Lots of promising younger players been talked about. A sensible manager who gets them to play as a team.

The years of pain look to be over thanks to reforms put in place over the last decade or so. It's taken a while but it feels like we can actually compete again. Winning this world cup is by no means an impossibility for the first time since 2002.

1 minute ago, Bris Vegas said:

I think Denmark have looked the better team of what has been a pretty dire game.

Think the Croatian wide players burned out after 50 minutes. Denmark are boring and slow. 

8 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Think the Croatian wide players burned out after 50 minutes. Denmark are boring and slow. 

Delaney has looked a decent player. Not surprised to read he’s signed for Dortmund for 20m this summer. Proper driving midfielder.

Just now, Bris Vegas said:

Delaney has looked a decent player. Not surprised to read he’s signed for Dortmund for 20m this summer. Proper driving midfielder.

Yeah, that Poulsen and Jorgensen that came on look good. Tactically they don't seem to want to take any risks and Croatia really shouldn't be struggling with some of direct longballs like they are. 

Mandzukic is Darren Bent? 

7 minutes ago, CWC1983 said:

2 games yesterday South America v Europe gave us 2 exciting games, the 2 today Europe v Europe  have been as dull as dishwasher. 

I'll have you know my dishwasher is anything but dull - gleaming in fact.

Gary Neville "Modric's first bit of quality in the game"

Modric and Rakitic have been superb up until Croatian defenders started panicking  and Croatian forwards stood still. 

Then he goes and misses that! 

Archived