World Cup 2018 thread

jackhasler23

11 hours ago, McLovin said:

I’m happy about Croatia going through. The right outcome was reached

Totally agree - I get the "double jeopardy" thing, but it's harsh when you're about to tap the ball into an empty net from six yards out and the defender's desperate lunging tackle from behind kicks your shooting foot away. In that situation the "goal scoring opportunity" being denied is essentially a much bigger opportunity than the chance to then score against a keeper in a dead ball situation from 12 yards. If Denmark had gone on to win it would have been a travesty

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, StivePesley said:

Totally agree - I get the "double jeopardy" thing, but it's harsh when you're about to tap the ball into an empty net from six yards out and the defender's desperate lunging tackle from behind kicks your shooting foot away. In that situation the "goal scoring opportunity" being denied is essentially a much bigger opportunity than the chance to then score against a keeper in a dead ball situation from 12 yards. If Denmark had gone on to win it would have been a travesty

But the rule had no effect on the game.

If the double jeopardy rule didn't exist, he still would have made the last ditch attempt and still fouled the player. The penalty would still be taken, and still missed.

The only difference is that the defender was on the pitch for the last 70 seconds of the game (in which neither team had an attack). He didn't take a penalty in the shootout. He's still suspended for the next game, too.

14 minutes ago, StivePesley said:

Would’ve been funny though. I’m as neutral as can be watching that game, it’s been a long time since that fixture would have asanovic, stomach and Laursen playing. So I only really care about the excitement. 

And hats off to the guy making that tackle. I think he was fully expecting to be sent off and take it was ready to take it on the chin for the team. He would’ve been a danish hero along with schmiecel if they’d have made it through. 

Id fully expect any English defender to do the same thing in the same situation. 

But for some reason, and call it double standards if you want, but Suarez is still a twit for his handball on the line against Ghana. 

1 minute ago, TigerTedd said:

Would’ve been funny though. I’m as neutral as can be watching that game, it’s been a long time since that fixture would have asanovic, stomach and Laursen playing. So I only really care about the excitement. 

And hats off to the guy making that tackle. I think he was fully expecting to be sent off and take it was ready to take it on the chin for the team. He would’ve been a danish hero along with schmiecel if they’d have made it through. 

Id fully expect any English defender to do the same thing in the same situation. 

But for some reason, and call it double standards if you want, but Suarez is still a twit for his handball on the line against Ghana. 

Making a last ditch sliding tackle to try and separate a striker and the ball is one thing. 

Deliberate handball on the line is cheating.

It's not double standards at all, Suarez is a turnip.

4 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

Say what you like but he hadn’t guts, did that stomach.   ?

19 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

Making a last ditch sliding tackle to try and separate a striker and the ball is one thing. 

Deliberate handball on the line is cheating.

It's not double standards at all, Suarez is a turnip.

It's patently obvious double standards. Both are cheating to deny the opposition a clear goal. If Suarez had been chasing a player about to tap it into the net instead of standing on the line he would've made the same challenge as Jorgensen and vice versa.

37 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

Would’ve been funny though. I’m as neutral as can be watching that game,

I was torn  -Denmark and Croatia are my two favourite places, but I was rooting for Croatia because

1) Something about the Schmeichels really annoys me

2) I was married in Croatia and have a Croatian wedding certificate, so that practically gives me dual nationality ?

6 minutes ago, Anon said:

It's patently obvious double standards. Both are cheating to deny the opposition a clear goal. If Suarez had been chasing a player about to tap it into the net instead of standing on the line he would've made the same challenge as Jorgensen and vice versa.

I agree. But I don’t care. If Kane did the same thing, and we went on to win the World Cup as a result, he’d be an absolute legend in my eyes. 

I think I get that feeling a bit due to attitude. I think Suarez expected to be hailed as a hero, whereas the Denmark defender really didn’t seem to take any pride in his actions. You’ve got to do what you’ve got to do, but there’s a way of doing it with a bit of class. 

Like Henrys handball vs Ireland, vs Maradonnas vs us. It would take a ducking saint to own up to it, and although it might have made him an Irish folk hero, it wouldn’t have made him very popular in France. But he didn’t exactly revel in it either, he didn’t ever seem to take pride in that ‘goal’. Whereas Maradona seems to have no humility about his blatant cheating. 

So I think that’s where I justify my double standards. 

If Kane did a Suarez and was a twit about it, id be very disappointed. 

1 minute ago, TigerTedd said:

I agree. But I don’t care. If Kane did the same thing, and we went on to win the World Cup as a result, he’d be an absolute legend in my eyes. 

I think I get that feeling a bit due to attitude. I think Suarez expected to be hailed as a hero, whereas the Denmark defender really didn’t seem to take any pride in his actions. You’ve got to do what you’ve got to do, but there’s a way of doing it with a bit of class. 

Like Henrys handball vs Ireland, vs Maradonnas vs us. It would take a ducking saint to own up to it, and although it might have made him an Irish folk hero, it wouldn’t have made him very popular in France. But he didn’t exactly revel in it either, he didn’t ever seem to take pride in that ‘goal’. Whereas Maradona seems to have no humility about his blatant cheating. 

So I think that’s where I justify my double standards. 

If Kane did a Suarez and was a twit about it, id be very disappointed. 

I can understand that. The Maradona example is a good one, although I think what he did was way worse than Suarez. Both Suarez and Jorgensen committed their violations out of desperation, knowing full well that a goal at that stage of the game would give their teams no time to try and score an equaliser. Maradona chose to cheat in the 51st minute with the score at 0-0, knowing full well that he had the talent to win the game fairly, something he demonstrated just a few minutes later.

41 minutes ago, Anon said:

He was very close to getting the ball before the man. Mistiming a genuine attempt to win the ball is not cheating. Don't be obtuse. 

8 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

He was very close to getting the ball before the man. Mistiming a genuine attempt to win the ball is not cheating. Don't be obtuse. 

In this case yes. But I think he would have hurled himself into that regardless. Even if there was an absolute 0% chance of getting the ball. And fair play to him, I wouldn’t blame him if he’d rugby tackled the guy. 

As long as he felt appropriately guilty afterwards. 

24 minutes ago, Anon said:

I can understand that. The Maradona example is a good one, although I think what he did was way worse than Suarez. Both Suarez and Jorgensen committed their violations out of desperation, knowing full well that a goal at that stage of the game would give their teams no time to try and score an equaliser. Maradona chose to cheat in the 51st minute with the score at 0-0, knowing full well that he had the talent to win the game fairly, something he demonstrated just a few minutes later.

But Suarez is still a twit. They were the last African team in the only African World Cup ever, and they got knocked out due rent hebkost blatant cheat I’ve ever seen. 

Says something about the will / instinct to win though. I’m not sure I’d even think about sticking my arm out until 5 minutes after the game is over. But to be able to stick it out on instinct is impressive. 

11 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

In this case yes. But I think he would have hurled himself into that regardless. Even if there was an absolute 0% chance of getting the ball. And fair play to him, I wouldn’t blame him if he’d rugby tackled the guy. 

As long as he felt appropriately guilty afterwards. 

Agreed, he would have done.

But if he had just rugby tackled him, or hacked him down, it would have been a red card. So I don't see what problem people have with the rule change.

27 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

I'd say anyone claiming he had any chance of actually winning the ball cleanly from his starting position are the ones being obtuse. He was nowhere near making a clean challenge, to get anything on the ball he has to go through the man first or defy the laws of physics.

1 minute ago, Anon said:

I'd say anyone claiming he had any chance of actually winning the ball cleanly from his starting position are the ones being obtuse. He was nowhere near making a clean challenge, to get anything on the ball he has to go through the man first or defy the laws of physics.

He could have just kicked him though, tripped him, rugby tackled him. Sure, the chances of him winning the ball cleanly were probably 1 in 1000 but the effort was still put in into trying for it. The idea that it is 'cheating' is absurd.

Cynical trips when teams are counterattacking are worse than what he did, there's no effort to play the ball at all.

Regardless, it made zero difference that he wasn't sent off. 

Sith Happens
3 minutes ago, David said:

Just like to declare my duel citizenship now, I'm English born and part Brazilian, I'll leave that part to your imagination. 

Eu sou Brasileiro!

I suggested my wife become part brazilian once...she wasnt very happy.

6 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

I suggested my wife become part brazilian once...she wasnt very happy.

My wife actually is part Brazilian. So when we got dumped out in the group stages last time, we all pretended to have a tenuous link to Brazil. Then they went and lost 6-1. Ffs. 

Besides that we can claim a bit of Irish, Norwegian, Italian, Chilean, and my wife might have a touch of Spanish conquistador in her if you look back far enough. So absolutely none of that helps. It’s england or nothing. 

Archived