World Cup 2018 thread

jackhasler23

Just now, JoetheRam said:

And let's be honest he misses the next game anyway through cumulative bookings and it made no difference he was on the pitch the last two minutes. Same net result.

That's true, but the rules aren't supposed to be bent depending on the time in the match or the situation. That's why I hate it when pundits say "that would've been a yellow if it wasn't so early on in the game." It shouldn't matter, rules are pretty much set in stone and should be adhered to.

If that situation happened in the 3rd minute of the game, the outcome would've been exactly the same. You'd then argue that it's benefitted the offending side hugely, as the penalty was missed, a clear goal was robbed, and the defender escapes with just a yellow. This guy could go on to score the winner that puts Croatia out, then they could really feel aggrieved.

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, SaintRam said:

It astounds me that so many of you were unaware of that change tbh - we've seen lots of last man fouls not result in red cards over the past two seasons. 

I was aware of it but I just thought it only applied to keepers

What is the point if Iniesta announcing his international retirement? Everbody, even people who've never watched a game of football, know he's not playing again.

So, just to be sure and to avoid any confusion, I would like to officially let Gareth know I no longer wish to be considered for international football.

I think Croatia offer more. Denmark are boring and slow. Look happy to not lose. 

Croatia just never figured out how to stop Modric and Rakitic getting pushed back. Mandzukic doesn't help anyone but himself. 

The Croatian keeper comes off his line a lot before the pens were hit. Takes a jump forward and then dives forward on a some.

Just now, Alpha said:

I think Croatia offer more. Denmark are boring and slow. Look happy to not lose. 

Croatia just never figured out how to stop Modric and Rakitic getting pushed back. Mandzukic doesn't help anyone but himself. 

The Croatian keeper comes off his line a lot before the pens were hit. Takes a jump forward and then dives forward on a some.

Schmeichel did the same to be fair, as he did with the Modric penalty in extra time. I  felt nervous just looking at Schmeichel’s actions before each penalty, I dread to think how the Croatian penalty takers felt.

3 minutes ago, McLovin said:

That will give Croatia so much confidence. As Bilic said, the problem that Croatia has is a mental block, their quality is not a question. Now Croatia have gotten over that mental block, they will be a different side.

I thought they looked a tired team tonight. Denmark were just poor in the final third, a more clinical forward line would have punished them. I'd fancy England's front three to cause them all sorts of problems.

8 minutes ago, McLovin said:

That will give Croatia so much confidence. As Bilic said, the problem that Croatia has is a mental block, their quality is not a question. Now Croatia have gotten over that mental block, they will be a different side.

Think you overrated Croatia. They were pretty poor tonight. Denmark were there for the taking, and Croatia struggled a lot. Mandzukic was non existent. 

2 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

I thought they looked a tired team tonight. Denmark were just poor in the final third, a more clinical forward line would have punished them. I'd fancy England's front three to cause them all sorts of problems.

I don’t know. Bilic said that he doesn’t think the poor Croatian performance was down to the players being tired because , they had ten days rest. He seems to think that the poor performance was because it was a mental block and they lost their fluidity as a result of having too long a break.

1 minute ago, Andicis said:

Think you overrated Croatia. They were pretty poor tonight. Denmark were there for the taking, and Croatia struggled a lot. Mandzukic was non existent. 

They were poor tonight but they will get better now that their mental block has gone. This will give them so much confidence.

23 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

The vast majority of "last man" red cards were given to GKs and the rule change was put in place cos that usually destroyed a teams chances.

Good. It should destroy their chances. This rule change is one of the most ridiculous I've ever seen in the game. If you're the last man ('keeper or outfield player), stay on your feet, or accept the risk of going to ground. This change is entirely sponsor driven because they've found that people tune out if there's an early red card.

Archived