World Cup 2018 thread

jackhasler23

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Januzaj must be the most hated man in Belgium now for scoring against England as the easier side of the draw really looks easy. He truly is useless, he scored when Belgium didn't want to win and doesn't do anything when they want to win. No wonder De Bruyne did a horrific challenge on him in training ?

4 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

To be brutally honest, I don't get that feeling when watching England. I do when I watch Mexico, like I go proper mental when they score and I feel the anguish when they miss chances or concede poor goals.

With England I have no feeling at all. I used to, but I think that stopped around 2010. I remember the penalty shootout defeats in 2004 and 2006 hurt, like it was Derby losing a penalty shootout.

But I think that was the last time I truely cared. And it's not like a switch where you can turn it on or off, I just have no feeling when watching the game though I obviously want them to do well.

I think a lot of England fans had lost that loving feeling in the past few years, to be fair. But I think it’s coming back. 

I think importnant to understand that Colombia isn’t a gimme, but you’d be a fool to not acknowledge this is the best chance we’ll get in a generation. I suppose my only regret would be, it would have been great to have faced a Spain or a Germany in their current form. We could have mullered them. As it is, we’ll probably be favourites in every game to the final now, then probably meet Belgium, and up winning the whole thing without ever having tasted the sweet vengeance of knocking someone out that had previously knocked us out. 

5 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

I think a lot of England fans had lost that loving feeling in the past few years, to be fair. But I think it’s coming back. 

I think importnant to understand that Colombia isn’t a gimme, but you’d be a fool to not acknowledge this is the best chance we’ll get in a generation. I suppose my only regret would be, it would have been great to have faced a Spain or a Germany in their current form. We could have mullered them. As it is, we’ll probably be favourites in every game to the final now, then probably meet Belgium, and up winning the whole thing without ever having tasted the sweet vengeance of knocking someone out that had previously knocked us out. 

Indeed. But on the other hand, I don't see Southgate making the same mistake as Hodgson against Iceland or even Bobby Robson against Cameroon ('We didn't underestimate them. They were just better than we thought they were.').

8 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

I think I'd settle for that.

When Spain were good, all their possession was near the box with Iniesta and Xavi on the ball, and Silva making darting runs in front of them.

Today it was Pique and Ramos passing it to each other around the halfway line with a staic midfield looking for a 1-2 back to the defence.

Very poor performance and not helped my manager leaving just before the tournament. Why was Iniesta on the bench and why was Silva taken off for him? Why was Isco so deep after looking so good further forward? Why did they only start crossing the ball whem Costa went off? Why was that Rodrigo sub the only player to run with the ball.

Imagine the reaction if we had just limped out like that to a team 'we should be beating'. No creativity, no imagination, no playmakers, no urgency, no pace. Was it even worse than our defeat to Iceland?

11 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

When Spain were good, all their possession was near the box with Iniesta and Xavi on the ball, and Silva making darting runs in front of them.

Today it was Pique and Ramos passing it to each other around the halfway line with a staic midfield looking for a 1-2 back to the defence.

Very poor performance and not helped my manager leaving just before the tournament. Why was Iniesta on the bench and why was Silva taken off for him? Why was Isco so deep after looking so good further forward? Why did they only start crossing the ball whem Costa went off? Why was that Rodrigo sub the only player to run with the ball.

Imagine the reaction if we had just limped out like that to a team 'we should be beating'. No creativity, no imagination, no playmakers, no urgency, no pace. Was it even worse than our defeat to Iceland?

The bit on Rodrigo is spot on. He looked a threat with his directness and pace. In hindsight Callejon and Inaki Williams should have been in their squad as their pace and dribbling skills would have been beneficial. Spain play too many players of the same ilk. It’s all nice having Isco, Silva, Iniesta and Koke but they’re all basically the same players so it is overkill and they ended up restricting each other’s roles.

33 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

I can't remember Koke ever making a forward pass.

And with the likes of Isco dropping so deep, and Ramos and Pique having the ability to pass the ball anyway, I couldn't for the life of me see the purpose of playing Busquets. He didn't do anything. He didn't have a job.

Spain were terrible to watch. And this is coming from somebody who loves technical pass and move.

Croatia are really positive in possession. Modric and Rakitic always hit the forward pass as soon as it's on. Full backs and wingers work as a unit.

All minimal touch stuff. Nothing fancy. I like them

Croatia aren't a side in love with their own football like Germany and Spain. They have variety in their game but they waste nothing.

You know Spain and Germany aren't going to shoot on sight and they basically have 10 center midfielders. They forgot what a winger and a striker was. Germany forgot what a central defender is. 

England v Croatia would be an intriguing game. 

18 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Croatia aren't a side in love with their own football like Germany and Spain. They have variety in their game but they waste nothing.

You know Spain and Germany aren't going to shoot on sight and they basically have 10 center midfielders. They forgot what a winger and a striker was. Germany forgot what a central defender is. 

England v Croatia would be an intriguing game. 

Semi's?

Spain played some of the best football I’ve ever seen in Euro 2008.

At the WC 2010 and Euro 2012 it was still really good, but the tone was set and forwards like Torres and David Villa were being replaced by fake 9s such as Fabregas.

Since then they’ve been way too arrogant in their approach and philosophy. 

Archived