If you're reading this Frank....

Chester40

Yeah, Frank, we're all nerves here, we're really excited about getting you as a manager, but you gotta move fast fella, we can only take so much and that ain't much.  So come along Lampy old boy, sign on the line so we'll feel fine and remember when it comes to next season, no pressure, but hurry up already

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, RamNut said:

I suppose i just don't really focus on the manager. Or i prefer not to.

i notice that on here its all about the cult of the manager. Pro or anti-nigel.  Pro or anti-Rowett. Derby County seem to be just the vehicle. The manager seems to be the main attraction. Same with Frank. 

i'm more focussed on the players and the team. Whoever the manager was last season  i would have liked them to have kept Will hughes. Whoever comes in next, i would prefer us to regroup with martin and bryson. Hopefully keep vydra. I'm ready to give elsnik, thomas and possibly Lowe a chance (altho i'd rather sign joe bryan). It doesn't matter to me who the manager is, what trainers they wear, whether they black, white, pink or purple. Its what they do. And this is what i'd like to see them do. Inevitably they will do something slightly different but if they sign good players, produce good football and don't talk utter crap then fine.

I still won't be in thrall to the manager. It will still be about the players for me.

But surely you, lucky enough to have whitnessed the best manager this club has ever had, must know that getting the right man in is important to success. 

Do you think another manager could have got Cardiff up this season with the same players. What was the difference between Rowett and Zola at Birmingham? 

I don't know if Lampard is going to be a success but I think his experience on the field may tell him to bring back Martin and Bryson and wish we still had Hughes. Who knows but let's give it a go. If it doesn't work we hay ho. May be 'a other' wouldn't either. We've had that many recently. 

1 hour ago, Gritters said:

I think if you look at a lot of managers they are ex players. So why not have an ex player that has played at the top won trophies played in world cups. They have to start somewhere. Why not us. Rowett was an ex player who won duck all. May be Lampard has the desire to be as successful as a manager as he was a player.

Clough was an ex player. So was Dave Mackay

How many managers are there plying their craft in the 4 divisions of the league or all the other leagues in existence not just on England but throughout the world?

Several hundred at least would be my guess.

How many are super succesful?

Obviously it depends how you determine success, but it's probably well short of 5%.

More players who are super successful cannot carry that over to managerial success than those who do.

For every Zidane there's a Maradona.

So let's hope we get our head butting Gaelic friend rather than the ball punching pos. 

11 minutes ago, Parsnip said:

We need you on board @RamNut. What's your main beef dude? Let me mop your brow...

Well it will at least be funny if he comes in and plays 11 behind the ball Mourinho style.

Esp if we sign ashley cole, john terry and some other chelski  veterans.

@RoyMac5 will wake up screaming.

8 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Well it will at least be funny if he comes in and plays 11 behind the ball Mourinho style.

Esp if we sign ashley cole, john terry and some other chelski  veterans.

@RoyMac5 will wake up screaming.

So would I.

5 minutes ago, Gritters said:

But surely you, lucky enough to have whitnessed the best manager this club has ever had, must know that getting the right man in is important to success. 

Do you think another manager could have got Cardiff up this season with the same players. What was the difference between Rowett and Zola at Birmingham? 

I don't know if Lampard is going to be a success but I think his experience on the field may tell him to bring back Martin and Bryson and wish we still had Hughes. Who knows but let's give it a go. If it doesn't work we hay ho. May be 'a other' wouldn't either. We've had that many recently. 

Of course its the most important decision, and we seem to have made so many wrong ones, that we are running out of options.

i just do not understand the gushing enthusiasm for a complete unknown / big soft lad.

zola probably didn't have the experience to deal with the situation; perhaps he's just a crap manager. Great player doesn't mean good manager. He inherited a group of Rowett-loyal donkeys; a group that thought he would probably get rid of them. He was probably too nice a guy to tackle the situation.

is frank too nice? 

What makes a great manager is completely different to what makes a great player. How many caps they have got is irrelevant.

Managers need a bit of enthusiasm, and steel. A good eye for a player. The ability to lift other players to over-achieve; to play through pain, whatever it takes. Rowett was arrogant, but some of the character traits that make him slightly odious are probably essential. His weakness was that it was all about him. It should always be about the team. 

If you are reading this Frank:  You are obviously an intelligent man. Look at the recent history regarding the way the club is being run by an autocratic chairman, ignore those well meaning but desperate fans who are looking for a messiah and find yourself elsewhere. A job at a league 1 or 2 club south of Watford..... and see how that goes.   

6 minutes ago, europia said:

If you are reading this Frank:  You are obviously an intelligent man. Look at the recent history regarding the way the club is being run by an autocratic chairman, ignore those well meaning but desperate fans who are looking for a messiah and find yourself elsewhere. A job at a league 1 or 2 club south of Watford..... and see how that goes.   

If you are reading this Frank:  (Which I doubt anyway) Please ignore @europia  ???‍♂️??

??

4 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

Or probably well over 70% of DCFC fans here.

4 hours ago, eddie said:

At the moment, you are very much in a minority. This possible appointment seems to have a very high approval rating, at least among the fans who post on here. I'm not sure whether or not that means anything though.

On this one @RoyMac5, I'm more than happy to concede that you're in the majority on this one.

And I'm even more happy to say that, if Lampard gets the nod, I hope you're right.

But I'm more of the view that it's a speculative appointment at best. As @cannable says, I can't see what the optimism is based upon.

But - and I'm serious - I'm open to be persuaded. Tell me what I'm missing please.

1 hour ago, NottsRam77 said:

I'm with him and the minority then

If we appoint lampard I'll give him my utmost support unless I think he shows to be out of his depth but I'm patient and will given him plenty of time before passing judgment and tbh I just want to see stability as I believe that will give us a better chance of actually getting somewhere.

but appointing him imo is a mistake, we are in a very difficult situation, v similar to the one that jim smith inherited and one that requires experienced hands.

its actually tougher than smiths as at least had a squad full of young "talented" players that still attracted admirers pembridge,kitson,Johnson, short etc all moved on to bigger clubs 

can't quite see the likes of Everton, Newcastle and Celtic queuing up for butterfield, Blackman and co 

I haven't got a problem with people like you who think it's a mistake to appoint him, you've said you would be patient and back him and you say that it is a mistake in your opinion.

The people that bug me are the ones that just say it is the worst appointment we could make or slate the bloke without giving him a chance to see what he is capapble of.

You give reasons for thinking as you do, others just post that it's a crap decision and you know they will be waiting in the wings ready to post if he things don't turn out well.

1 hour ago, CornwallRam said:

If Lampard is to be appointed then it will be interesting to look back on these threads to see who turns out to be right. To me, it would seem like very worst appointment possible. IMO, this has the possibility to actually threaten the very existence of our club, with rookie relegation paired with Redknapp style overspending as a realistic outcome.

I reckon Frank will prove to be an excellent manager, or maybe an utterly useless one or indeed anything between those extremes. So I'm pretty confident I'll be correct. There is just got nothing to go on...nothing at all.  There is no way of predicting how it might turn out.

But seeing as we don't know him to be a bad manager, at least we can be hopeful for next season if he is appointed, and that makes a pleasant change.

I just hope he wasn't paying too much attention to Mourinho during his career.  We could do without another season of negative safety first tactics. 

Just now, EssendonRam said:

On this one @RoyMac5, I'm more than happy to concede that you're in the majority on this one.

And I'm even more happy to say that, if Lampard gets the nod, I hope you're right.

But I'm more of the view that it's a speculative appointment at best. As @cannable says, I can't see what the optimism is based upon.

But - and I'm serious - I'm open to be persuaded. Tell me what I'm missing please.

I don't know what you're missing other than a sense of excitement at stepping into the unknown! 

Smith, Warburton, Neil, etc all sound okay but do any of them sound really great? So they've got a chance of doing well here but they've history too - good & bad. Frank Lampard & Jody Morris (if those two are lined up) are something new and unknown. They're also exciting and a real draw for the media - it's fun being media stars, being loved  - who wants to be Millwall (everybody hates them)?!

This is stream of consciousness style, I can't type as fast as I think, but maybe Frankie will be like a 'new' Mac. He really is a great coach, whether he gets it right 100% of the time or not. When we were innovators - first to have adverts on shirts, how cools?! Nah just kidding but we need to be innovators and modern in our football thinking and I hope Frank & Jody can do that.

But most of all it's great being media tarts! We are Derby, Super Derby, we are Derby, Super Rams!

Just take drugs (beer is fine) and join the trip. #whatalongstrangetripitsbeen

4 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

I don't know what you're missing other than a sense of excitement at stepping into the unknown! 

Smith, Warburton, Neil, etc all sound okay but do any of them sound really great? So they've got a chance of doing well here but they've history too - good & bad. Frank Lampard & Jody Morris (if those two are lined up) are something new and unknown. They're also exciting and a real draw for the media - it's fun being media stars, being loved  - who wants to be Millwall (everybody hates them)?!

This is stream of consciousness style, I can't type as fast as I think, but maybe Frankie will be like a 'new' Mac. He really is a great coach, whether he gets it right 100% of the time or not. When we were innovators - first to have adverts on shirts, how cools?! Nah just kidding but we need to be innovators and modern in our football thinking and I hope Frank & Jody can do that.

But most of all it's great being media tarts! We are Derby, Super Derby, we are Derby, Super Rams!

Just take drugs (beer is fine) and join the trip. #whatalongstrangetripitsbeen

We've been media tarts before and only once as it a good thing...under Mr Clough.

I just looked at the odds and it looks like Martin O'Neill was a flash in a very dirty pan. But, of the four, O'Neill is the most exciting by far in my book...but I got briefly excited for nothing, it seems.

I agree about when we were innovators...I prefer to cite us being the first club to remodel the old style crest into the modern stylised Ram, rather than the sponsorship of the kit..

But punting on a rookie manager? That's not innovative. Even if he's a once-star player being touted as Mr Potential.

Geez, we punted on a rookie manager only a couple of seasons ago and, despite my scepticism, I got behind him only to find that I was one of the few fans who really understood what we'd undertaken...and then he was gone...

And, no, drugs and/or alcohol are never the answer...

Keep selling...please...

2 hours ago, NottsRam77 said:

I'm with him and the minority then

If we appoint lampard I'll give him my utmost support unless I think he shows to be out of his depth but I'm patient and will given him plenty of time before passing judgment and tbh I just want to see stability as I believe that will give us a better chance of actually getting somewhere.

but appointing him imo is a mistake, we are in a very difficult situation, v similar to the one that jim smith inherited and one that requires experienced hands.

its actually tougher than smiths as at least had a squad full of young "talented" players that still attracted admirers pembridge,kitson,Johnson, short etc all moved on to bigger clubs 

can't quite see the likes of Everton, Newcastle and Celtic queuing up for butterfield, Blackman and co 

Post of the thread IMHO

I haven't a clue what will happen if Lampard gets the nod - but I have a feeling that it will be fun. I understand that his IQ is even higher than mine used to be before I determined that it was soluble in alcohol.

4 minutes ago, EssendonRam said:

And, no, drugs and/or alcohol are never the answer...

Keep selling...please...

I didn't say they're the answer but as a responsible adult I know when the fun stops I stop. ?

I can't sell Frankie and Jody any more than I have done - it's a step into the unknown. Hopefully they'll have more integrity than Mr G and if they try their damndest then no more can be asked. They're both winners, players will want to come here because of them and if we do well eventually again because of the club. Let the good times roll, please! ?

3 minutes ago, eddie said:

I haven't a clue what will happen if Lampard gets the nod - but I have a feeling that it will be fun. I understand that his IQ is even higher than mine used to be before I determined that it was soluble in alcohol.

Thats a RamsTV feature right there. 

Super Frank vs Super Eddie in a IQ test special.

I dont really care who the manager is next season...i dont really care if the average age of the team is over 30. All i care about is having a team that excites me...brings out those emotions in me of one minute excitement next minute despair. I want to look forward to every game and come out of pride park feeling like ive been through the wringer and will never get my voice back.

Archived