If you're reading this Frank....

Chester40

There was  reporter on Talksport this morning who had worked on DT. and was asked to comment on the Frank Lampard situation.

He rhapsodised on about what an unbelievably strong football city Derby was and how knowledgeable the fans were. He said Lampard would surprisingly discover all of this if he came and he would be immensely lucky to be given a start in management by such a Club in such a nice city to live and work in, where most people actually went to the games and interest and support was real throughout the community.

Part of our DNA. Once a Ram always a Ram. Even those who live outside the city boundaries...................

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Well before you start marshalling the troops into pro or anti camps, i'm just totally bemused....i simply don't get why 70% would be sold on the idea. 

perhaps there's a post-rowett irrational desire for a chelsea midfielder as manager syndrome.

Well it’s quite simple really ,that 70% you talk of have weighed up the pros and the cons and come up with the opinion that at this point for derby appointing Frank Lampard in his first role as manager is a decent road to go down weighing up what he lacks at this point and what he brings to the table ,,,,,, if you can give me a garuantee that any other manager in the running WILL be a success then I’m with you but you can’t ,just as nobody can,

to imply that there’s no reason other than being star struck to support and or get excited by the proposition of appointing frank is condescending and insulting 

50 minutes ago, cannable said:

Because there is nothing to base an opinion on! 

It's a change of direction.

Finally we go for someone with no connections to Derby. 

Arthur cox, George Burley, Billy Davies, Brian Clough, Steve McLaren, our successfull times come when the manager has no previous connection.

Lampard will have excellent contacts at Chelsea and I expect he will use them.

48 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

Would be useful to understand their original position when they are slagging off Mel and/or Lamps by September when we haven't won every game.

Just bookmark the posts, will keep you occupied I'm sure!

Seriously, why not enjoy the prospect of Lampard coming in and not whetting the appetite to get one up on the doom mongers. I know its a sport much loved on fan forums but come on...time and a place.

4 minutes ago, Inglorius said:

Am not sure if that's meant to be a serious comment or not

Of course it is - they've given him chance, you haven't - you've written him off with your negative mindset before he's even appointed!

5 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Arthur cox, George Burley, Billy Davies, Brian Clough, Steve McLaren, our successfull times come when the manager has no previous connection.

Not sure of the connection Steve McLaren had with the Rams, but Steve McClaren played for DCFC 1985-88

45 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Well before you start marshalling the troops into pro or anti camps, i'm just totally bemused....i simply don't get why 70% would be sold on the idea. 

perhaps there's a post-rowett irrational desire for a chelsea midfielder as manager syndrome.

I think if you look at a lot of managers they are ex players. So why not have an ex player that has played at the top won trophies played in world cups. They have to start somewhere. Why not us. Rowett was an ex player who won duck all. May be Lampard has the desire to be as successful as a manager as he was a player.

Clough was an ex player. So was Dave Mackay

46 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

If we do get Lamps, would be nice to see how each person voted in this poll next to their avatar.

Would be useful to understand their original position when they are slagging off Mel and/or Lamps by September when we haven't won every game.

From what I remember on here:

Clough sacking had a large minority support.

i was anti the sacking. he wasn't my favourite manager but I thought there were signs that he was finally getting somewhere. I'd prefer nigel to sam rush.

Most people were worried when Steve Mac joined.

quite happy to see him back.Always associated him with the jim smith era rather than the wally with the brolly fiasco.

The majority were furious when we blew the playoffs in Steve Macs 2nd season and blamed his flirting with Newcastle.

I wasn't furious. I wasn't really bothered tbh. I suspect he had been flirting with newcastle but he committed to stay.I remember suggesting that they all just go on holiday and calm down. Come back ready to go again. We still haven't recovered from the decision to sack him because we started messing with the squad. It started with the appointment of chris evans which i disagreed with.

Most people were happy with Clement but were bored of him when he was sacked.

i'd never heard of clement. Therefore was neither pro nor anti. I thought the sacking was ridiculous. I thought some of the transfer activity was unnecessary, but the injuries to hughes and bryson were simply unlucky and we had to sign at least one replacement there. Personally i would have preferred bannon. Both johnson and butterfield did well initially but i wouldn't have paid £10m. I wouldn't have paid £4.75m for Ince either. And i certainly wouldn't have paid mr and mrs ince for the pleasure of their company.

People were mostly well behind the Pearson appointment, likewise when he was given the boot.

i didn't want him after his behaviour at Leicester. I thought he was an accident waiting to happen. Very happy to see mel come to his senses. It was like watching a car crash.

We all welcomed back Steve Mac but were surprised he was sacked so soon.

Surprised he came back. He looked weakened. But ok with it.  another ridiculous sacking.

The slight majority were happy with Rowett, most are happy he has gone.

Rowett was the obvious replacement, but i didn't know much about him so was unsure what we were signing up to. I personally didn't like his tactics or the decision to sell Will. I understood that the majority of fans seemed happy enough. I Wasn't expecting a change. But happy that he's gone. The play-offs just confirmed my doubts. I Just look back at his era as a complete waste of time. 

So in summary, most mangerial decisons had popular support, other than Steve Mac 1, which turned out well.

18 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Steve mcclaren? No previous connection??

2 hours ago, Chester40 said:

Can you hurry up and get on with it! People are really coming round to the idea so don't let's get hopes built up if you're not coming. I was always in the pro-camp but support is definitely building and building.

I would also add...we have a great stadium, financial backing, good transport links to London, are close to amazing countryside, the potential to be as big or a bigger club than half the current Premier League, a great academy with youth players begging to be developed and as a city and club we are crying-out for someone grab it by the scruff of its neck (putting Mel where he needs to be, concentrating on the business side of things) and harness the potential and establish us back where we belong....if you then want to slope off back to Chelsea...fine!!

I am sure reading your post on here is top of his priorities Chester 40...

20 minutes ago, Gritters said:

I think if you look at a lot of managers they are ex players. So why not have an ex player that has played at the top won trophies played in world cups. They have to start somewhere. Why not us. Rowett was an ex player who won duck all. May be Lampard has the desire to be as successful as a manager as he was a player.

Clough was an ex player. So was Dave Mackay

I suppose i just don't really focus on the manager. Or i prefer not to.

i notice that on here its all about the cult of the manager. Pro or anti-nigel.  Pro or anti-Rowett. Derby County seem to be just the vehicle. The manager seems to be the main attraction. Same with Frank. 

i'm more focussed on the players and the team. Whoever the manager was last season  i would have liked them to have kept Will hughes. Whoever comes in next, i would prefer us to regroup with martin and bryson. Hopefully keep vydra. I'm ready to give elsnik, thomas and possibly Lowe a chance (altho i'd rather sign joe bryan). It doesn't matter to me who the manager is, what trainers they wear, whether they black, white, pink or purple. Its what they do. And this is what i'd like to see them do. Inevitably they will do something slightly different but if they sign good players, produce good football and don't talk utter crap then fine.

I still won't be in thrall to the manager. It will still be about the players for me.

If Lampard is to be appointed then it will be interesting to look back on these threads to see who turns out to be right. To me, it would seem like very worst appointment possible. IMO, this has the possibility to actually threaten the very existence of our club, with rookie relegation paired with Redknapp style overspending as a realistic outcome.

Yet I realise that I'm in a massive minority. Talking to fans who don't post on forums, they appear even more in favour than the majority on here. I don't understand it, but I do accept it although I'm not convinced that you lot haven't been taken over by the Borg. The message I keep getting is that resistance is futile.

FWIW though, if (and I think that it gets less likely the longer it takes) he's appointed, I hope that I'm proved completely wrong and I'm queing with you all for our Europa League final tickets in five years time with Lampard as our greatest manager since Dave Mackay. 

If you’re reading this Frank .. you’ve got me 100% on side

the thing is though, it’s about results. That is what counts. You’ll get a bit longer if the football is inspiring and results aren’t forthcoming ... but bottom line, points win prizes ... and boy does the club need some prizes. 

On the upside .. you’ve got real fans ... not fair weather hipsters who watch fashionable clubs cos is cool. “We are Derby” and there are a lot of us given the size of the city.  No BS given or taken.

on the downside ... we are North of Watford .. are you sure ?

2 hours ago, eddie said:

At the moment, you are very much in a minority. This possible appointment seems to have a very high approval rating, at least among the fans who post on here. I'm not sure whether or not that means anything though.

I'm with him and the minority then

If we appoint lampard I'll give him my utmost support unless I think he shows to be out of his depth but I'm patient and will given him plenty of time before passing judgment and tbh I just want to see stability as I believe that will give us a better chance of actually getting somewhere.

but appointing him imo is a mistake, we are in a very difficult situation, v similar to the one that jim smith inherited and one that requires experienced hands.

its actually tougher than smiths as at least had a squad full of young "talented" players that still attracted admirers pembridge,kitson,Johnson, short etc all moved on to bigger clubs 

can't quite see the likes of Everton, Newcastle and Celtic queuing up for butterfield, Blackman and co 

2 hours ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Lampard coming as manager has excited me far more than any other managerial appointment we have made.

Not sure how anyone can't see this as a positive appointment? 

Because last time we were in a similar position to this we hired a guy called jim smith ... and old hand, he's been round the block and had a contact list of players and agents that made the yellow pages look like a small takeaway menu.

i think this situation is harder due to the age of the dead wood we have this time round compared to what jim had 

lampard could work yes and every Bone in my body wants it too but personal preference having seen this unfold years ago would be to go with similar  

2 hours ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Lampard coming as manager has excited me far more than any other managerial appointment we have made.

Not sure how anyone can't see this as a positive appointment? 

Maybe some people are just reserving judgment.

I can definitely see why some people would be unsure.

If you lived through the hype of Docherty, Peter Taylor sans Clough, John Gregory, Pearson et al, then you can clearly see why some people would want to hold back on anointing a new king.

I'm 100% on the fence, I have no clue if he will make a great manager or a terrible manager, and guess what? Neither does anybody, because there is no body of work.

I'm hopeful, but to think that this couldn't turn out to be a terrible appointment is ignoring history.

I'd rather have him than the likes of McCarthy, Big Sam and all the other retreads, but my enthusiasm is tempered by realism and accepting we're rolling the dice.

Hopefully we get lucky 7!

Archived