Aston Villa

Day

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Spanish said:

bristol city and brentford stand out for me

That’s unfortunate but Brizzle with Lansdown’s backing could stomach it, Brentford on the other hand might feel well hard done by.

2 hours ago, Spanish said:

McCormack?  Bought for £14.3m ffp value £10m+ starring at a £5m hit on ffp even if they survive administration they are still f@@@##ed

That’s what I was thinking catching up on the news, they would almost be as well to take the pain and wipe the slate clean for a slow rebuild than prolong the agony, just guessing though.

They have a similar problem to us with the players brought in over the past couple of years. High wage players who aren't worth what they're being paid. It's all well and good saying these players can leave on the cheap, but you still need a buying club who can agree terms with these players. It's not their fault that they were offered x amount of money, they don't need to take a pay cut so Villa can reduce their wage bill.

I can't see us bringing anybody in from Villa purely because our wage bill would be increasing, at a time when we're supposed to be reducing it. Villa only have a few players who have performed well enough to convince higher sides to take a punt on them, because that's what they'll rely on in order to find a buyer.

Looking at their starting 11 and bench vs Fulham in the play-off final who remain at the club today, there aren't many I can see us taking on considering the wages that'll be demanded. Grealish will go to the PL. Possibly Hourihane and Chester to a side like Huddersfield or a recently relegated side. Other than that, Elmohamady, Hutton, Jedinak, Whelan, Kodjia etc. will probably be too expensive for any side willing to take them on. That's their real issue.

The only player I think they have who we could afford without horrendously overpaying on wages would be James Bree. Really promising RB, thought he was great at Barnsley. Could really be an asset if we went down the 3-4-2-1 formation in that RWB role with Wisdom being primarily a CB, should Lampard favour that structure.

2 hours ago, TigerTedd said:

Weren’t parachute payments put in place to stop clubs going bankrupt cos they had players on premier league wages and long contracts. 

But clubs abuse it by just buying more players still on premier league wages, as well as keeping all the old ones. 

And this is the result. 

So wouldn’t parachute payments be more sensible if they were ringfenced to specifically pay off premier league contracts and be used for nothing else.

I’m surprised no one has really picked up on that. Everyone always says how unfair it is that that clubs like boro, villa and Fulham have all these parachute payments to splash the cash. 

There is an assumption here that the money spent improves the teams. With Villa it hasn’t made a significant difference. They haven’t really come close to automatic promotion.

When you look at the players they’ve bought, they’ve paid a lot of big fees for players who were playing in this league anyway. Villa and Boro have been spending Premier League fees and wages on Championship players. It’s laziness.

There’s a finite amount of proffesional footballers willing to play in the second tier. It’s just inflation. £14m for Assombalonga!! Every Bundesliga side bar Bayern would think twice before spending that on ANY player.

The one reality is that we will find it more difficult than it was before to move on the unwanted

and as a second and more important note it highlights Mel Morris paying off our losses every month/year unlike what seems to happening at villa 

Since relegation, Villa have been a ticking time bomb.

Xia really needed to have a team of good football people in his ear. Instead, he sanctioned all of the headline-making signings and made big name managerial appointments without thinking of the bigger picture, or having someone by his side to temper matters. Terry on £60k+ a week in the Championship? Spending over £80 million across four transfer windows? Bonkers, absolutely bonkers.

Everyone knows how difficult it is to get out of this division and there were enough ominous examples that such a situation should have been avoided at Villa. How many big clubs have we seen struggle after relegation? How many big clubs have tumbled down the divisions?

A bit of calm and common sense was needed, as everyone knows you don't have to spend £80 million to get out of the Championship. There are far more sensible and sustainable ways to go about it.

Instead, I fear that the attitude at Villa was a rather arrogant one - we are Villa and we are too good for the Championship! But the reality of the situation is that while they are the biggest club in the division with all of the hallmarks of a club that belongs in the Premier League, it counts for very little if you are being run with all the acumen of a Solihull pub quiz team.

I feel sorry for some of their fans that I know. Decent, humble, hard-working people who are just passionate about their club and the game.

In truth, these past two years have probably set Villa back four or five years. That's the cost of failure.

7 hours ago, TigerTedd said:

Weren’t parachute payments put in place to stop clubs going bankrupt cos they had players on premier league wages and long contracts. 

But clubs abuse it by just buying more players still on premier league wages, as well as keeping all the old ones. 

And this is the result. 

So wouldn’t parachute payments be more sensible if they were ringfenced to specifically pay off premier league contracts and be used for nothing else.

I’m surprised no one has really picked up on that. Everyone always says how unfair it is that that clubs like boro, villa and Fulham have all these parachute payments to splash the cash. 

I think youre on to something here - I think the Premier League and Football League need to be tighter on the payments.

The money could be held in a secondary pot, used to pay off debts to PL and FL league clubs first, then foreign clubs, then other businesses.

Then, say the average player in the championship is on 15k (complete guess i don't know), then the fund would then top up that wage for 2 years.

Any contract extension would then need to come from club sources.

If there's any money left after two years the club eventually gets the cash.

Dunno not properly thought out but something like that would at least help competition.

There's definitely something in the "we're to big for the championship and this is only a temporary situation before we inevitably take our place back in the Premier" attitude around Villa.

Whilst a bit of humbling I was quite cheerful about, I don't wish them too much ill and hope they navigate there way out of this.

Wanna know something funny? Stoke fans now appear to be where Villa fans were a couple of years ago (except with stoke city)

27 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

There's definitely something in the "we're to big for the championship and this is only a temporary situation before we inevitably take our place back in the Premier" attitude around Villa.

Whilst a bit of humbling I was quite cheerful about, I don't wish them too much ill and hope they navigate there way out of this.

Wanna know something funny? Stoke fans now appear to be where Villa fans were a couple of years ago (except with stoke city)

“We’ll be back in 81” 

10 hours ago, Kernow said:

The only player I think they have who we could afford without horrendously overpaying on wages would be James Bree. Really promising RB, thought he was great at Barnsley. Could really be an asset if we went down the 3-4-2-1 formation in that RWB role with Wisdom being primarily a CB, should Lampard favour that structure.

Bree allegedly on 27k /wk according to national press yesterday!

5 hours ago, alexxxxx said:

Villa have come to an agreement with HMRC to pay some of the money immediately, some more before the end of the week. But not the full amount yet.

And another HMRC payment is due in 3 weeks apparently ?

I find it very hard to have any sympathy for them - they knew full well that they were staking the future of the club on getting promoted last season. Their approach meant that FFP (intended to stop exactly this sort of behaviour) was always going to be an issue and yet they arrogantly thought they were 'too big' to fail. Looking at the lack of appearances for some of the players, you could even make a case that they bought some of their squad purely to stop other clubs (possibly including ourselves) from strengthening.

Well now they've missed out and the smelly stuff is hitting the fan - tough titty folks...

Lots of folk to blame if they do go bust - the owner, Mr Potato Head, the weak and feeble EFL - but perhaps it needs one of the big boys to crumble before football finances spiral even further out of control.....

I see no reason not to be sympathetic to Villa fans, but as a club it’s hard to have any. This was a chance for the club to take a step back and rebuild sensibly, instead they went for the poo or bust method and failed.

The fans didn’t hand out the contracts, agree the fees, they simply got excited by the signings as would any clubs fans and thought they had the quality to go up. We’ve been there in 15/16.

Difference being we did it without parachute payments and crippling the club to the point where HMRC bills were not being paid.

To be fair the gamble almost paid off, they were 90 minutes away from laughing all the way to the bank. Cardiff were another club on the edge, promotion saved them from a summer of austerity, £6m on Madine to get them over the line, nuts. 

Don’t see them doing a Sunderland, interesting times though, the only thing keeping Bruce in a job now is they can’t afford to pay the compensation to sack him.

15 minutes ago, David said:

I see no reason not to be sympathetic to Villa fans.....

I know a couple of Villa fans - it's easy not to be sympathetic to them.....though I suppose there are a few that don't have the inbuilt arrogance that comes with supporting "The Mighty Villa"....

Villa fans were livin' it large when their club were spunking all that money, reportedly nabbing players close to joining other clubs. People brought up FFP at that time and the general response was "we're rich as duck". 

5 minutes ago, Gaspode said:

I know a couple of Villa fans - it's easy not to be sympathetic to them.....though I suppose there are a few that don't have the inbuilt arrogance that comes with supporting "The Mighty Villa"....

Having not been in the second flight since the 80s I think any arrogance that they are bigger than the Championship is understandable to be fair.

Archived