Aston Villa

Day

1 hour ago, i-Ram said:

No need to be fair here. Yes the capital rules may have changed causing the current cash flow issues, but Xia and Villa were committed to throwing significant monies to buy themselves back into the Premier, with no regard for FFP rulings.  I have no sympathy for their current predicament.

As far as i can tell, the Chinese rules about investment that have changed only apply to 300m or more so wouldn't be relevant in Xia's case with regard to Villa.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think people need to be too hard on villa.

yes they are in a mess. Yes they gambled on promotion and lost. And yes they have paid out some silly wages.

but i can't see how any championship club model is sustainable. The gamble and dash for promotion seems to be the strategy that works....see bournemouth, leicester, brighton, wolves.

Our own accounts look horrendous to me. Particularly 15-16.

Good job i'm not an accountant.

7 hours ago, ColonelBlimp said:

An awful lot of 'em seem to think they'll get £40m for Grealish and reckon they won't have to sell him if they're offered way less.

I think that's deluded but hey, I ain't seen the books.

I think all the ones they need to get rid of are the ones on high wages or have injury problems or a combination of both, in other words, the ones no-one else wants.

Spurs in for Grealish.

If they get more than £15m from Levy that's a result.

By £15m, that's with add ons, mind.

Which won't ever be paid, but will sooth his passage somewhat.

Like a cockney version of KY Jelly.

8 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

All joking apart, let’s hope Villa’s predicament doesn’t turn out to be anything trivial.

I know what you mean, but do you remember when we were 10 minutes away from being wound up? Crikey, we had debts of around a million quid! Yes it was a long time ago and money in the game has changed drastically, but the figures that are being talked about are horrendously big. I feel sorry for the real fans. The ones who go whatever the league position and form. Those that turn up for a League Cup second round game against a second division struggler when it’s peeing it down. The hangers on will probably go and watch Wolves now that they are in the Prem. When we were so close to going under I said that I was going to get a season ticket at the City Ground, problem was they didn’t do them for the away end!

16 hours ago, RamNut said:

I don't think people need to be too hard on villa.

yes they are in a mess. Yes they gambled on promotion and lost. And yes they have paid out some silly wages.

but i can't see how any championship club model is sustainable. The gamble and dash for promotion seems to be the strategy that works....see bournemouth, leicester, brighton, wolves.

Add Newcastle to that list too.  Only honourable exception to the aforementioned is ourselves. Nice to be different isn't it.

On 11/06/2018 at 20:27, Gaspode said:

Former chief executive Keith Wyness reportedly planning to sue them for constructive dismissal - could cost them over £6M if he's successful - the big hole in their finances just keeps getting bigger and bigger..

Way to stick the knife in. Buy that man a drink. 

1 hour ago, SaintRam said:

There's a very good footballer hidden in the "throwing himself to the ground/rolling about/crying like a schoolgirl/cynically hacking people down" personality so I think he's probably worth more than that - but unless he's grown-up a lot in the past 18 months, I wouldn't have thought London was the wisest choice for him.....

1 hour ago, Gaspode said:

There's a very good footballer hidden in the "throwing himself to the ground/rolling about/crying like a schoolgirl/cynically hacking people down" personality so I think he's probably worth more than that - but unless he's grown-up a lot in the past 18 months, I wouldn't have thought London was the wisest choice for him.....

I think he will come good in the end, especially somewhere like Spurs where there are a lot of young players who have managed themselves relatively well through their development.

Villa fans will be a little upset, having been expecting £30m+ (based purely on their own conjecture).

• 3 weeks later...

Archived