Next Manager Poll

S8TY

Who Would We Like to Take Over  

557 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 minute ago, Jayram said:

Nowhere near good enough to manage a club like ours - they are L1/L2 level and we’d get more hoofball rubbish if they came. Mel should not be fooled into going for the usual suspects like McCarthy, Pardew etc. Don’t think Dean Smith would work either as he manages to a specific model at Brentford. It’s going to be interesting to see how it pans out but Mel really needs to get this right.

What model does he work to at Brentford?

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, ossieram said:

But let's be realistic, we have far too many on here that can't wait for people to fail so they can tell us all how they told us so, and there are others just waiting for failure to have another pop at Mel.

True but I am sure if we get someone who gets us playing football again and gets results too then it will keep them silent. 

That list isn't actually too bad, you're always going to have the usual suspects in the betting odds for every job of this calibre, doesn't mean they're considered.

Would be happy with Cook, Smith or Warburton. I think Lampard would be a really intriguing one though. Very intelligent with his punditry, talks a lot of sense and has a different kind of winning experience, plus the contacts that other candidates won't have. It would be a huge gamble, but what managerial appointment isn't?

The ones I'd rather steer clear of, other than the merry-go-round riders are Simpson and Stimac. Our next manager will have my full support regardless, but I feel those appointments would be made for the wrong reasons.

1 hour ago, Ramarena said:

Yes I had a look over at their forum to see if they had mentioned anything, there's a small discussion on us and they pretty much say what you have. 

No point looking at their manager if you aren't going to replicate the system they currently work in. They also don't think he'd leave to go to Derby anyway! 

Purely out of interest what is there system ?

hiw does it differ to ours other that it works lol

joking ^^

but am curious cos they do clearly do something different and more effective than we do in terms of player recruitment 

2 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

Stuart Campbell is available now too...... and Paul Dalglish and Anthony Pullis are both doing decent jobs.

Steady on, I only Googled the Roadies manager to counter your Brendan Rodgers suggestion which was bonkers. 

2 minutes ago, Jayram said:

Nowhere near good enough to manage a club like ours - they are L1/L2 level and we’d get more hoofball rubbish if they came. Mel should not be fooled into going for the usual suspects like McCarthy, Pardew etc. Don’t think Dean Smith would work either as he manages to a specific model at Brentford. It’s going to be interesting to see how it pans out but Mel really needs to get this right.

I don't know enough about the Cowleys to argue either way, just stating what I've read.

Smith is quite interesting, to me at least.

He ran Walsall pretty much from top to bottom, from what I've read, and did very well.

Then he's moved to a club where his control has been lessened, but still seems to have produced the goods, relatively speaking.

I wouldn't be against us giving him a go, based on his record so far.

2 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

I don't know enough about the Cowleys to argue either way, just stating what I've read.

Smith is quite interesting, to me at least.

He ran Walsall pretty much from top to bottom, from what I've read, and did very well.

Then he's moved to a club where his control has been lessened, but still seems to have produced the goods, relatively speaking.

I wouldn't be against us giving him a go, based on his record so far.

Not sure why people think that because he is working at Brentford he is used to a system that wouldn’t be the same here.  As you point out he has shown he can do it as other clubs, and therefore shows him as more adaptable than limited.

8 minutes ago, NottsRam77 said:

Purely out of interest what is there system ?

hiw does it differ to ours other that it works lol

joking ^^

but am curious cos they do clearly do something different and more effective than we do in terms of player recruitment 

Not the entire picture but a snapshot of an element of their player development. It's certainly an interesting concept!

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/apr/05/brentford-ditched-their-academy-premier-league-outcasts

8 hours ago, archied said:

Lampard raises derby profile massively and brings far more to the table than clement ever did and just for clarity on my view ,I have NOW changed my view on all this stability ,building, long term stuff ,it’s just not possible or sustainable in the modern game ,people get poached if they do well ,sacked if they don’t and fans get bored easily ,change keeps things fresh ,keeps things turning and there is no Guarantee s with anybody anyway ,,, lampard would bring a buzz to derby and if he works ,well great and if he doesn’t then move on ,,, 

i voted lampard as he is the only one on the list who excites me and peaks my interest and after all the rowett stuff derby need to do something to peak my/our interest s ,,, 

just the man to create the buzz ,get/ keep the cameras and media at pride park and I reckon his appointment has more chance of putting bums on seats than anybody else on the list ,,make massive commercial sense 

sorry ,it’s a no brainier folks , I’m hoping mel is as smart a cookie as I think he is

Some good points there Archie, it’s gonna be a gamble either way so why not go for the glamour and glitz that Lamps would bring?

As long as he leaves Uncle Harry behind ?

4 minutes ago, AdamRam said:

Not sure why people think that because he is working at Brentford he is used to a system that wouldn’t be the same here.  As you point out he has shown he can do it as other clubs, and therefore shows him as more adaptable than limited.

I'd pick him over ex stockbroker Warburton any day.

Played the game, started management in a position of desperation and turned it round, and has shown he can work under a more unorthodox set up too.

9 minutes ago, Warren Hobhead said:

Can someone explain the Warburton love? I look at him and can’t see anything there. 

From that list I would take Simpson or a gamble with Lampard.

Consistent record of playing good, attacking football. He instructs his players to play on the front foot. He places his trust in young players, often purchasing young exciting players that may not be the final product but is not afraid to develop them. I'm not saying his time at Forest was a massive success, but he managed at 40% win rate there - Karanka is on 25%. It's certainly not a bad job. In fact, you'd be hard pushed to say he's done a bad job anywhere. 

It's exactly what I am after - a manager who is willing to show intent. When we beat them 2-0, which wasn't a surprise considering the gulf between the teams, they still had more of the ball, more chances, importantly more care on the ball,etc. We obviously won the game through a great solo effort by Vyds and a defensive mistake by them, but that's where the extra quality of our players told - despite that they still were able to impose themselves on us, not the other way around. 

26 minutes ago, Warren Hobhead said:

Can someone explain the Warburton love? I look at him and can’t see anything there. 

From that list I would take Simpson or a gamble with Lampard.

There is as much love for Warburton as there is for None of the above.

Perhaps some people have just had some toast and are susceptible to the power of suggestion.

27 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

Consistent record of playing good, attacking football. He instructs his players to play on the front foot. He places his trust in young players, often purchasing young exciting players that may not be the final product but is not afraid to develop them. I'm not saying his time at Forest was a massive success, but he managed at 40% win rate there - Karanka is on 25%. It's certainly not a bad job. In fact, you'd be hard pushed to say he's done a bad job anywhere. 

It's exactly what I am after - a manager who is willing to show intent. When we beat them 2-0, which wasn't a surprise considering the gulf between the teams, they still had more of the ball, more chances, importantly more care on the ball,etc. We obviously won the game through a great solo effort by Vyds and a defensive mistake by them, but that's where the extra quality of our players told - despite that they still were able to impose themselves on us, not the other way around. 

I think this is a bit of a biased view of Warburton. Forest were awful, a very comfortable win - they certainly didn’t impose themselves. 

I dont think he is the man for us. Apparently Bradford are close to getting him, about his level. 

Archived