Chris Martin

Waffle

7 minutes ago, Ram-a-lama fa fa fa said:

Makes me sad but. Does Anyone else think that chris martin is the next jordan rhodes? 2-3 seasons banging goals in for fun. Then 2-3 seasons doing jack, out on loan.

Just playing devils advocate here but maybe, just maybe, Jordan Rhodes is actually the next Chris Martin! Certainly one to ponder!

• Replies 664
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok, since we seem to be having a bit of a crisis of confidence where Chris is concerned, I thought I'd try and offer a 'form is temporary, class is permanent' kind of post to lighten the mood. Chris needs service, just like every other striker out there and when he gets it, he can find the net no bother. As he gets older, it becomes less likely that teams will be set up around him the way they once were at Derby, but that doesn't mean he's lost it. His time at Reading was a write off for sure, but, in all fairness, they were a pretty poor side last year. Folk are already getting twitchy over the lack of signings so far but worst case, would having these two leading the line be so awful. Not to my mind it wouldn't!

Bring it on I say.

COYR

7 hours ago, 86 points said:

Ok, since we seem to be having a bit of a crisis of confidence where Chris is concerned, I thought I'd try and offer a 'form is temporary, class is permanent' kind of post to lighten the mood. Chris needs service, just like every other striker out there and when he gets it, he can find the net no bother. As he gets older, it becomes less likely that teams will be set up around him the way they once were at Derby, but that doesn't mean he's lost it. His time at Reading was a write off for sure, but, in all fairness, they were a pretty poor side last year. Folk are already getting twitchy over the lack of signings so far but worst case, would having these two leading the line be so awful. Not to my mind it wouldn't!

Bring it on I say.

COYR

Yep,can't wait!

But where's the soundtrack gone off the Martin video?...was a good one.

Love him or not, when did Chris ever play with a close foil. ? Yes he had Bryson / Hendrick, basically dual AM’s 

but when did he have a Vydra or a Lawrence ? ... never 

lets give it a go. I still don’t think he’s a footballing god but in the right system he could be a championship maestro

Add in perhaps some Elsnik / Hanson youthful energy or the young whippet Luke or some Chelski boys 

We do need some width now though, given that there is no JR or Andy but there is the backbone of a quality team 

like Franks clean slate .. 

16 hours ago, 86 points said:

Bring it on I say.

COYR

Mate, forgotten how much I love the Martin video...

...can we give him another contract?

Vydra and Martin can’t play together as they occupy each other’s space. I thought we established that at the start of last season. Vydra said that as much, stating that he preferred to play with Nugent in one interview because Nugent did all of his running for him. It’s a case of either or. Both will score goals in the right system but I’d suggest that those systems will be different.

FWIW, I’d rather keep Martin than Vydra, especially if we are going to use 4-3-3 again as Martin is more flexible. Selling Vydra would give Lampard more money to improve the squad than selling Martin would.

Let’s say we keep Vydra and he has another poor season like he did the seasons before last year, his value would plummet. By contrast, Martin’s value wouldn’t really change if he had a poor season this year. 

1 hour ago, McLovin said:

Vydra and Martin can’t play together as they occupy each other’s space. I thought we established that at the start of last season. Vydra said that as much, stating that he preferred to play with Nugent in one interview because Nugent did all of his running for him. It’s a case of either or. Both will score goals in the right system but I’d suggest that those systems will be different.

Well they started 3 games together last season, we won all 3, scored 5 goals and didn't concede, but hey what do I know?

8 hours ago, McLovin said:

I'm not sure it's ever been properly tested. I can see why it worked with Vydra and Nugent playing Rowettball but a different formation and style of play could easily suit that partnership. I genuinely don't see a proper reason why it couldn't work. They're very different players and could complement eachother. I doubt we will see it happen though.

9 hours ago, McLovin said:

Agree with one thing in this post - that this is what Vydra thinks! 

If mild mannered Craig Forsyth calls him selfish that says more to me than anything Vydra says.

I agree with your next post in that I'd prefer to keep Martin of the two. 

However, @rynny is also right in that the matches they have played together, we have won. Whether it would work longer term has never been tested.

8 hours ago, rynny said:

Well they started 3 games together last season, we won all 3, scored 5 goals and didn't concede, but hey what do I know?

Nice stats but they ignore the most impotent stat of all...

So, what were the xG in those games?

8 hours ago, rynny said:

Good to read that, I can’t remember the three games bar Barnsley away ( where Martin made lots of opportunity’s for Lawrence) but basically Vydra would benefit from playing near someone who can control the football and pass it into his stride 

10 hours ago, rynny said:

Sometimes goal scoring stats don’t tell the full story. Kane is going to win the golden boot but many fans would agree that he hasn’t been too good in this World Cup. In terms of their general play when Vydra and Martin played with each other they were poor and got in each other’s way as they both like to occupy the number 10 position, meaning they’d be no-one making the forward runs into the box. We don’t have the players anymore like under McClaren to burst into the box from midfield or from the wider positions.

They are both at their best when they have runners doing their donkey work for them. Martin was at his best when he dropped deep and had Russell, ward, Hendricks, Bryson etc running off him whilst Vydra as admitted by himself enjoys playing with Nugent the most out of the striking options.

Sometimes players just don’t work together like the Lampard-Gerrard debate with England.

3 minutes ago, McLovin said:

Sometimes goal scoring stats don’t tell the full story. Kane is going to win the golden boot but many fans would agree that he hasn’t been too good in this World Cup. In terms of their general play when Vydra and Martin played with each other they were poor and got in each other’s way as they both like to occupy the number 10 position, meaning they’d be no-one making the forward runs into the box. We don’t have the players anymore like under McClaren to burst into the box from midfield or from the wider positions.

They are both at their best when they have runners doing their donkey work for them. Martin was at his best when he dropped deep and had Russell, ward, Hendricks, Bryson etc running off him whilst Vydra as admitted by himself enjoys playing with Nugent the most out of the striking options.

Sometimes players just don’t work together like the Lampard-Gerrard debate with England.

Very true. Good job Gerrard has gone to Rangers , I say

Archived