Chris Martin

Waffle

50 minutes ago, David said:

Last week an #ITK claimed he had a heart problem and may have to retire. This week it's Colitis. Just like stats, 80% of the internet is made up.

I didnt say i was ITK just something I was told, and like i said at the time i hope it isnt true which appears to be the case

• Replies 664
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Ambitious said:

In severe cases, yes: https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/ulcerative-colitis/

It sounds nasty! I hope hope it's not that and all this is boll...

I suffer with it, and while I can still pretty much train and race triathlons in my spare time, I'd struggle to imagine how a pro athlete could keep in decent shape with it.

It makes "big toileting" a harrowing experience!!

In fact I think I've got a picture somewhere..........

***cue mod panic** ?

20 minutes ago, IronRam 70.3 said:

I suffer with it, and while I can still pretty much train and race triathlons in my spare time, I'd struggle to imagine how a pro athlete could keep in decent shape with it.

It makes "big toileting" a harrowing experience!!

In fact I think I've got a picture somewhere..........

***cue mod panic** ?

Did Gary Lineker have that then ?

On 23/07/2018 at 20:44, Carnero said:

According to an "ITK" on another site:

"Update on Martin, Lampard wants him to stay but he’s been really ill with colitis and isn’t fit at the moment. He’s doing gym work to build himself up. He will miss the start of the season but shouldn’t be too long before he’s back. He will be a good mentor for the young players coming into the squad."

"At least Derby are supporting Martin in his recovery. When he 1st became ill he tried to play thro it at Reading which has slowed his recovery"

"End of March he was unwell and was having test for more serious conditions"

---

If this is true, then get well soon Chrissy!

If he has Colitis it is a very debilitating disease and is horrible.  I know, I have it myself.

He is most likely on a course of steroids to manage the condition but he will not be the same player for quite a while until he is in remission. 

15 minutes ago, wixman1884 said:

So he's had it for at least 2 years then?

Some folk have Colitis for years and don't know, but when they go into a full blown flare they certainly know it and will not get better without a lengthy course of steroids, usually 16 weeks on a reducing taper. If he has it he cannot play football when in a full flare because he could need to find a loo pretty damned quick, up to 20 times a day.  It is a nasty nasty disease.  Furthermore it drains one's energy and sufferers are constantly tired and lethargic.  When in remission he should be OK but it can take weeks if not months to get back to some semblance or normality. 

14 minutes ago, oldtimeram said:

Some folk have Colitis for years and don't know, but when they go into a full blown flare they certainly know it and will not get better without a lengthy course of steroids, usually 16 weeks on a reducing taper. If he has it he cannot play football when in a full flare because he could need to find a loo pretty damned quick, up to 20 times a day.  It is a nasty nasty disease.  Furthermore it drains one's energy and sufferers are constantly tired and lethargic.  When in remission he should be OK but it can take weeks if not months to get back to some semblance or normality. 

Hopefully he started this process at the back end of last season when he was missing games at Reading and he is now starting to get to normality especially with him getting 45mins in the U23s

Let's hope the steroids are working.  The other problem is that steroids affect the bones and make them brittle. He s hopefully taking calcium supplements to counteract this.  He will never be 100% again but if he can manage it he will be OK.  I have had discussions with Lewis Moody about this and he is a good example of a sportsman who has overcome the challenges of this illness. I am sure he must have spoken to Darren Fletcher too about this. 

Cmon Chrissy Martin, score some goals for derby... 

Great memories of him scoring for fun for Derby, would love to see this guy get well and get out on the pitch doing what he does best; scoring goals and winding up defenders. 

I don't think it does anyone any good speculating about Chrissy's health like this. I was hoping that posting the supposed "ITK" on Chrissy may just offer some context to his current situation.

I'm still hoping this information is incorrect, particularly by the sounds of the seriousness of this condition to those that suffer from it.

Perhaps it should just serve as a reminder to us all that these players and managers are just like the rest of us - human beings, with the real life problems that can entail, before we sit here criticising player x or manager y every time that don't meet our exceedingly high standards?

3 hours ago, oldtimeram said:

Let's hope the steroids are working.  The other problem is that steroids affect the bones and make them brittle. He s hopefully taking calcium supplements to counteract this.  He will never be 100% again but if he can manage it he will be OK.  I have had discussions with Lewis Moody about this and he is a good example of a sportsman who has overcome the challenges of this illness. I am sure he must have spoken to Darren Fletcher too about this. 

Don’t want to turn this into a medical forum but,trust me,that’s the worst thing he could do!?

Well that's strange because I have been told the same thing by two Gastroenterologists that it's very important to take calcium supplements as the steroids thin the bones.  Unless you are a Gastro Consultant I will take their word and not yours 

Archived