Gary Rowett gone to Stoke

Mckram

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The thing i find the funniest about all this is that the Stoke forums seem to genuinely think they have done us over here. Can someone show them the last 20 pages of this thread and see if they change their mind.

I was pro Rowett staying, but only because i wanted a bit of stability and continuity - it certainly wasnt because of his style of play. Best of luck to the Stoke fans though.

9 hours ago, Ramleicester said:

Odd comments on this thread GR has only been here a year hardly long enough to mould a team. The reason he went is the total disfunction of the club and the fact that he would have to cope with no money next season to change things. It is ok talking about the derby style of playing and a romantic notion of us passing and playing like Brazil but the bottom line is Mel gave it a go put his cash in but it did not work out. Now the money pit is dry so faced with that why would you not jump ship. Anyone posting on this forum would jump at the chance of more money personally and better prospects to further their career. GR read the writing on the wall and wants control of his own destiny. 

Sadly long suffering fans do not have such luxury.

I don’t think anyone’s that bothered about him going for career reasons, it’s all the ******** he’s fed the club and it’s fans which has caused unrest. 

High quality replacement for Ince, young hungry players not aging PL journeymen, dream job, love the area, kids a fan etc. All those impressive fan forums. All lies. I was annoyed with the first two he said back last summer because he went totally against his word. It seems they were a sign of things to come. 

I’m not fussed he’s leaving and don’t wish him that much bad luck but there’s a lot of fans that were sold a pretty good dream of a manager who’s connection and loyalty to the club sounded perfect. He’s completely conned them all. 

There is no loyalty in football so I wish he’d had just kept his mouth shut instead of feeding us all crap for 18 months. 

8 hours ago, 1967Ram said:

Just got back from four hours in Salisbury Hospital having completely ruptured my achilles tendon. Nine weeks now with my foot immobilised but it's still been a bloody good day because there's a chance now that we may try to play football again (unlike me for a while!!)

Get better soon bud. Just getting over popping my calf muscle so feel your pain. Least you've had time to read all these pages ?

11 hours ago, LeedsCityRam said:

So when the going got tough, Rowett left stage left. I suspect he's looked at the criticism of the style of play this season & calculated that anything less than a spectacular start would see him sacked in any case - ergo why bother showing loyalty to finish the job, particularly with a reduced budget.

There are some clubs where Rowett's style wouldn't be viewed as a problem (Stoke & Leicester spring to mind of the local clubs). Clearly the expectations here are different & I think both Rowett & Morris have only realised this belatedly, as the Pearson experiment was never allowed to run its full course. It would also explain in part Morris' total lack of resistance to Rowett's move (although the £2m probably helped).

I can't wish Rowett good luck because I can't view Stoke as a step up - it feels like a desperate attempt to jump ship rather than a genuine career progression. He's also going to find Stoke a real challenge, even with a large budget & the support of a very good chairman in Peter Coates. Their squad is absolutely toxic at the moment & has real parallels with the noises coming out of Sunderland exactly 12 months ago. Careful what you wish for Gary...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44027903

100% this, great post LeedsCityRam ?

iHis opening statement about Stoke's ambition seems a bit passive aggressive to me. 

Also his I've spent 3 years in the championship it's time to be in the premier league twaddle is absurd. One you're not and two that's ridiculousself entitlement based on what he has achieved in his career.

Witnout us he'd be at Barnsley or somewhere.

All adds to my feelings of good riddance, and roll on our saviour!

Mirroring a lot of what people have already said but for me, its all his statements about his affiliation to Derby as a club, city, home etc. endearing himself to the fans to then grab his coat and jump ship the next second. 

I can see the appeal at Stoke, large budget to spend on getting out the division plus what they'll get for Butland means he can go and get what he believes will get them out the division with a strong core squad already. 

I think he also made a calculated decision in terms of "If i don't get off to a great start with Derby, the fans and Mel won't have it." 

I'm more disappointed than angry, just that it is an indicator of the state of the game now in terms of the lack of loyalty left. 

He will undoubtedly get pelters when he returns, and no doubt he will reply with some sarcastic jibes that we thought were so witty when he with us but will not tolerate now he isn't one of us. 

The fact he's got a track record of manufacturing a move in the past where the project hes been on hasn't reached a natural conclusion portrays to me there's more than meets the eye with Gary Rowett. He plays a game to the media but this will be found out. 

One things for certain though, he will have to perform at Stoke otherwise this will be seen as a poor decision and his reputation will take a battering as a result. 

From our view as fans he's really damaged the affiliation, relationship he had with the club. I appreciate we don't know the full story behind the scenes but he's really not handled this well in terms of the timeline from new contract in Jan when we were sitting pretty in 2nd to a really unadventurous tactical performance away at Fulham and not quite making the playoff final, to whats happened as a result. 

Anyhow, it will be an interesting period now as to who Mel and and the board want in. Will our objectives for the season be altered dependent on who comes in? A big name means surely we stay inline to look for a playoff place and ultimately promotion. A younger inexperienced appointment may mean a period of transition? Rare in football I know... 

Have to say the list of names so far doing absolutely zilch for me right now sadly... 

58 minutes ago, BucksRam said:

Get better soon bud. Just getting over popping my calf muscle so feel your pain. Least you've had time to read all these pages ?

Cheers mate. I'm a teacher and was supposed to be going on an outdoor adventure week with the kids at the beginning of June. Ive done all the organising and now can't go ?

I’m hoping that a new manager will bring us back together a bit more ...there was such a division regarding Rowett,tactics ,style ,transfers etc 

i know we all have our entitled opinions but would’nt it be nice if the next appointment fills us with optimism ( that for me counts out the merry go round managers )

i also think after listening to others on here there may well be some truth in the theories that Brentford managers are successful because of the team behind the scenes just as much as the manager at the front...Warburton then Smith .

This may well be very pivotal and maybe waiting to see if Fulham don’t go up and trying for Jokanovic maybe a serious alternative and more realistic than we think as most of his team I will imagine will want prem league football next season and will more than likely tear his team apart..a fresh start might suit Jokanovic ...just wishful thinking maybe 

9 minutes ago, Saity said:

i also think after listening to others on here there may well be some truth in the theories that Brentford managers are successful because of the team behind the scenes just as much as the manager at the front...Warburton then Smith .

Suggestions are that Smith made it working on his own at Walsall. So it'd be win-win there. 

Archived