Gary Rowett gone to Stoke

Mckram

All very interesting. His football style just wasn’t fitting for Derby County. I’m left wondering, given we’ve had Pearson and Rowett, what criteria Mel uses to decide what is a “good fit”? Surely Mel considers the style to be important? He said so when PC was sacked? 

I’m surprised at the vituperative attacks on GR...ok so his action in leaving suggests a tad lack of sincerity but money talks and in life, especially in football life, you have to take the opportunities. 

Personally I’m very happy that we can, presumably, welcome a return to proper football, with a midfield and a passing and expansive approach; Please Mel. 

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Needs to be an appointment that unites the fans as much as that is possible ,, if there is one thing this club right now it everybody pulling together behind it ,, best of luck mel ,tough gig

3 minutes ago, HantsRam said:

Sounds like he certainly should be........?

Indeed. I knew that line wouldn't be wasted. ?

Oddly I was thinking that Rowett and his Stoke self-promotion statement makes Billy sound committed to the club. 'Rowett' wants to manage in the Prem - with or without Stoke I'd imagine! ?

1 minute ago, Ellafella said:

Surely Mel considers the style to be important? He said so when PC was sacked? 

I have to assume there must have been a lot going on behind the scenes with Clement and the two of them must have butt heads over something. Otherwise he'd absolutely done enough to be kept on, style and late season form aside.

1 minute ago, Ellafella said:

All very interesting. His football style just wasn’t fitting for Derby County. I’m left wondering, given we’ve had Pearson and Rowett, what criteria Mel uses to decide what is a “good fit”? Surely Mel considers the style to be important? He said so when PC was sacked? 

I’m surprised at the vituperative attacks on GR...ok so his action in leaving suggests a tad lack of sincerity but money talks and in life, especially in football life, you have to take the opportunities. 

Personally I’m very happy that we can, presumably, welcome a return to proper football, with a midfield and a passing and expansive approach; Please Mel. 

I hope you’re right. Shame that we needed to experience the last year and lose a bloody great midfielder / proper footballer in the process. 

I imagine as soon as he said to Mel 'I want to talk to Stoke' then he was pretty much done in Mel's eyes. Mel finally showed loyalty to a manager like everyone asked and he got **** on.

Makes me wonder, next time Mel presses the eject button on a manager will fans accuse him of lack of loyalty?

5 minutes ago, HantsRam said:

I’ve been thinking this.

very easy for parachute payments to be gobbled up in paying out prem contracts. And do Stoke really have tons of sellable assets? It’s now a buyers market for choupa-mouteng etc.....

I wonder if Gary Rowett will have as much of a kitty as he thinks........?

Butland, Allen & Shaqiri definitely but the rest of the squad are a mixture of Pulis-type players past their best & disinterested recent foreign signings. From the sounds of it, several of them are unusable & will either be sent back out on loan or sold at knock down prices. 

I suspect he'll be backed heavily (like Monk was at Middlesbrough last summer) but anything other than top 2 will be non-negotiable (which eventually did for Monk)

1 minute ago, RoyMac5 said:

Indeed. I knew that line wouldn't be wasted. ?

Oddly I was thinking that Rowett and his Stoke self-promotion statement makes Billy committed to the club. 'Rowett' wants to manage in the Prem - with or without Stoke I'd imagine! ?

Flashback wasnt it?

rowett is about TeamRowett. The picture in the scarf is of a supercilious and arrogant individual. “Full of it” as nana Hants would say. 

Hes weighed the probability.but as I posted elsewhere, he may very well have weighed inaccurately. ?

3 minutes ago, Ram-a-lama fa fa fa said:

Cant believe how quick this GR to stoke has happened. I suspect there was little or no resistance from mel. If he wanted him to stay he would of fought abit harder.. i hoping this what mel wanted and hes got someone in mind already for the job

No point fighting for anyone to stay when they've asked to speak with another club.

1 minute ago, HantsRam said:

Flashback wasnt it?

rowett is about TeamRowett. The picture in the scarf is of a supercilious and arrogant individual. “Full of it” as nana Hants would say. 

Hes weighed the probability.but as I posted elsewhere, he may very well have weighed inaccurately. ?

Yes, but at least Billy wanted to be the best coach he could be and the players rated playing for him, and he was successful unlike Rowett.

Obviously got a wandering eye  always looking for the next, ‘better’ club and judging by his comments it’s always them not him...

Wouldn’t trust him as far as I could throw him. Bit of a football slag is our gaz imo. 

1 minute ago, HantsRam said:

Flashback wasnt it?

There’s a video on Twitter showing him with his scarf around his neck. Standing next to a wheely bin. 

Stoke spent some mad money on players who dont even play and were farmed out on loan as basically refused to play for the club - no way they will recoup those losses and no way any of those will fancy the Championship

2 minutes ago, stickywotsits said:

Does anyone else have a sneaky that this whole episode from Jan. until now smacks a little of "smoke and mirrors" a touch skulduggery and stage managed ? like this was all decided, done and dusted in Jan. ?? just saying !

Maybe the players rumbled him. Something unsettled them from Jan. Again!

Odd comments on this thread GR has only been here a year hardly long enough to mould a team. The reason he went is the total disfunction of the club and the fact that he would have to cope with no money next season to change things. It is ok talking about the derby style of playing and a romantic notion of us passing and playing like Brazil but the bottom line is Mel gave it a go put his cash in but it did not work out. Now the money pit is dry so faced with that why would you not jump ship. Anyone posting on this forum would jump at the chance of more money personally and better prospects to further their career. GR read the writing on the wall and wants control of his own destiny. 

Sadly long suffering fans do not have such luxury.

Archived