Random stuff that people do that annoy me

Wolfie

Just watched the last episode of Portrait Artist of the Year, the female presenter, posh bint, can't remember her name, kept saying yurrs as opposed to years. And the other day, I heard another posh bird saying medsun instead of medicine.

Accents/dialects I actuallly like but the hoi polloi with their pronunciation sicken me.

5 minutes ago, EastHertsRam said:

Just watched the last episode of Portrait Artist of the Year, the female presenter, posh bint, can't remember her name, kept saying yurrs as opposed to years. And the other day, I heard another posh bird saying medsun instead of medicine.

Accents/dialects I actuallly like but the hoi polloi with their pronunciation sicken me.

People who say onvalope not envelope

25 minutes ago, StivePesley said:

People who say onvalope not envelope

Hummmm not a problem for me. It's a French derived word and although unusual these days still perfectly valid. .. We might as well argue about tomato or often or aunt 

only thing that matters to me is clarity and there is a total lack of it in a lot of newspeak. I'd rather listen to Kate Winslett than anyway but Essex :D

1 hour ago, CWC1983 said:

"Soz" and "my bad"

Usually straight after each other, followed by a daft smile and shrug of the shoulders. 

Plus, people at my work, supposedly professionals, in the 25 - 35 age bracket that speak like they are straight from the ghetto, innit, you get me........

yeah, it's sick.

I think I did that wrong.....

The current vogue to start replies to questions with 'so'...

I heard some posh historian do it a few weeks ago then everybody on the BBC has started doing it...

I know it's now going to spread to management meetings at work now because they will have seen it on breakfast TV and can't help but immediately copy it......

Dimwits

2 hours ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

I heard some posh historian do it a few weeks ago then everybody on the BBC has started doing it...

I know it's now going to spread to management meetings at work now because they will have seen it on breakfast TV and can't help but immediately copy it......

Dimwits

So are you saying, so he said so and now all the BBC say so also.

Sith Happens

Tradesman...builders, plumbers, roofers etc...ok not all but some.

Why do some not seem to care about peoples property? The amount over the years we have had, or those working on neighbouring houses that think nothing of driving over/parking on your lawn, or dumping stuff all over it or your property. Those who think nothing of using your land as a right of way when working on a neighbours house.

Then those that need to work inside think nothing of muddy boots on carpets,or not clearing up properly.

We had one bloke who did our bathroom, was brilliant, always put them bags over his boots, laid proper covers over all the carpets etc..but most just seem to turn up and not worry how much mess they make.

Not always those working on your house, we have gas people in the next street working right now and one seems to think its ok every morning to use my drive every day to pull onto to turn round, including the fact he misses sometimes and drives over the corner of my lawn which is just one big tyre print now.

On 23/03/2017 at 22:52, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Dimwits

I almost put this up the other day after I noticed someone start a thread with a "Right, so..." for the second time in a few days. 

Starting a thread like that's even worse. What do you mean 'so?' I always think. 'So' is a coordinating conjunction but that's the first thing you say? We weren't even talking. What does your 'so' reference? This is the first post in the thread! Grrr!

So (correct usage) yeah I find it irritating too. 

Mark Zuckerberg does it all the time.

On Wednesday, March 22, 2017 at 19:39, JoetheRam said:

The death of the handshake amongst men.

Replaced by some "bro" style high-ish five.

My brother in law who is in his 50s insists of touching fists. So awkward!!

PS Kane and Dele Alli. .those hand shakes make you look about 10. It's like Tom Hanks in Big!

This is quite cathartic. Other peoples kids especially those little psychopaths at soft play centres who spend their whole time terrorising every other child, parents of above said children who seem to be completely oblivious to the way their children are behaving or completely unwilling to do anything about it, soft play centres, people who insist on you vacating their reserved seat on a train despite there being a whole carriage free, the inability of our country to run an efficient public transport system, people who think it's ok to perform illegal manoeuvres or park in a dangerous or completely inappropriate place if they put their hazards on, the over and inappropriate use of the word 'like' particularly from children, American tween TV programmes, MTV why is it still called this despite no music? Adverts particularly those from banks that claim 'to be with you for the journey' yet will rip the roof from above your head, contrived speeches by politicians with deliberate pauses and sound bites, general dumbing down of the population and eggs!

12 minutes ago, 1of4 said:

So is a dumbed down egg like Humpty Dumpty like.?

So, like, I would say as far as eggs go, like, Humpty was like quite highly functioning (before the fall of course) then he was like totes a complete mess! 

Calling some public office or other and getting a recorded voice who after announcing that i have indeed called them inform me that this phone call may be recorded.  i just don't like that, it's a not so veiled threat.  If i am calling because of some irritation of mine of their services, i have on occasion let loose a string of profanities, ending with did you get all that?  By the time some nice calm voiced assistant takes my call i am all worked up and what was a small matter has now ballooned into the bane of my existence requiring instant resolution. 

i guess i am not the only one who reacts like that at times for some of the nice assistants have learned a diabolical response to it, the meaner i get, the nicer they are to me, leaving me with no outlet for my rage and soon the conversation is urgently requiring a mumbling apology on my part for being a brute and so deflated i accept wholeheartedly the unacceptable routine office mumbo jumbo explanation from said nice assistant.

Buying a movie on CD, slipping it in the player and the first thing i see is Unlawful Distribution Of This Product May Result In Prosecution.  i just bought that CD mofo's, it's mine and i'll chuck it out the window if i feel like it.