Aston Villa F.C. v Derby County F.C.

Boycie

If we’d have been more experienced andive, played higher up the pitch, and took the and to them, it’s lkkely we would have lost that goal earlier. 

Then it would have been proper squeaky bum time as we try to hang on for dear life for a goal. 

As it is, it sounds like we had a couple of chances to get he second ourselves, so it wasn’t all entirely one sided. 

So the plan is, hold out for as long as we can, try to get a second. Worst case scenario, our defense eventually crumbles and we concede. But if we can delay that for as long as possible, then in the end we only had 5 mins to hold on for the draw. Which, as we all agree, is a good result that we would have taken at kick off. 

At 1-0 if we go for the jugular against a team like villa, we’re gojng to conced in the first 10 minutes of the second half, and have to hang on for dear life for 35 mins. We would loose. 

Garys tactics were pretty much spot on. 

I always think, if your worst case scenario is something you can live with, then life isn’t that bad. 

• Replies 492
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

So the plan is, hold out for as long as we can...

Garys tactics were pretty much spot on. 

I always think, if your worst case scenario is something you can live with, then life isn’t that bad. 

Some folk can live with anything, others can't.

We were lucky to get away with a point today. Could have easily been a 4-1 defeat that.

We defended well, but tactically we were really poor. We made no attempt to play through them, or keep the ball, which meant we were forever pinned back.

Carson went long every time, and as we were playing with a back five with the wingbacks rarely looking to break beyond the halfway line, coupled with Hudds and BJ playing so deep, it was a 5-2——2———1 formation.

Hudds and BJ rarely ever pressed, they just sat and did lateral movement out of possession. It meant Weimann and Lawrence were forever stuck in two minds as to whether press forward or sit back. 

The constant hoof up to Jerome meant their defence was winning everything as there was a huge gap behind him, and they then had the easy option to pick out Whelan who was under no pressure at all.

Grealish, Snodgrass and Adomah were given so much time and space on the ball I’m amazed they didn’t punish us more.

The best way to defend is to press and make the opposition work for their openings. We didn’t at all. Lost count of the amount of times we allowed them to work it wide, and put crosses into the box. If it wasn’t for Curtis Davies who was utterly heroic, we would have been on the end of a battering.

That was just dog *****. We were playing a team who with a bit of luck we will play again soon. Yet we decided to play like a team who were playing Barcelona. Far far too much respect given to a mediocre team. Gary’s inferiority complex will cost us. Hero to zero in 4 days. For shame ?

4 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

We were lucky to get away with a point today. Could have easily been a 4-1 defeat that.

We defended well, but tactically we were really poor. We made no attempt to play through them, or keep the ball, which meant we were forever pinned back.

Carson went long every time, and as we were playing with a back five with the wingbacks rarely looking to break beyond the halfway line, coupled with Hudds and BJ playing so deep, it was a 5-2——2———1 formation.

Hudds and BJ rarely ever pressed, they just sat and did lateral movement out of possession. It meant Weimann and Lawrence were forever stuck in two minds as to whether press forward or sit back. 

The constant hoof up to Jerome meant their defence was winning everything as there was a huge gap behind him, and they then had the easy option to pick out Whelan who was under no pressure at all.

Grealish, Snodgrass and Adomah were given so much time and space on the ball I’m amazed they didn’t punish us more.

The best way to defend is to press and make the opposition work for their openings. We didn’t at all. Lost count of the amount of times we allowed them to work it wide, and put crosses into the box. If it wasn’t for Curtis Davies who was utterly heroic, we would have been on the end of a battering.

You don't buy Garys excuse then that the players were too tired to press high after 3 games in 7 days, compared to Villas 2?

My take on the day, we got a good and valuable point and anyone here knows we rode our luck. Truthfully felt a bit Alamo like and you have to be honest, Villa deserved their goal having hit the bar and post; for all that though, they were very wasteful of the chances they had.

Shame to concede late and all that, without doubt we also could have nicked it with our couple of chances on the break. Looked harder for Weimann to miss than score. Lawrence looked dangerous on the breaks. Jerome was a nuisance at times. The real star for me was Davies, he barely missed a tackle and was immense.

So could say deserved point for being hard to break down, as they had to dig in. Also don’t know what others thought but  Wisdom is getting better in the position he’s now playing.

Cap it all, Johnno was in our suite with his club coat on and had his photo taken with my youngest. Top man.

Wow, so close, but a good, battling performance in the circumstances. Hope Gary gives them 2 or 3 days off to recharge batteries, as for me, one of the most important things is that we have enough energy to at least match Barrnsley's  fight, which will surely come.

Funny what football throws up. We all thought we might do Burton a favour, but if things go wrong for us, we could end up needing a result from them. Mind you, if Burton won and we lost, I'd still fancy them to stay up, because I wouldn't want to be in either Brum or Reading's shoes. Again, strange how things pan out, because between them they play the 2 vying for second spot.

We could of had 4 today with a little more quality and composure. The Jerome chance for 2.0 would of changed the complexity of the whole 2nd half. Villa defensively are not very good, any side that goes at them will have success. I think they will struggle to overcome Boro to be honest. 

Today highlights why GR will never be a good manager, he is to negative and rather than change something up to push for that second goal he would rather defend deeper in the hope of riding it out.

Cardiff have got only one fewer loss than us, however have a manager who would rather take one loss and two wins as opposed to ours who would look to take the point first and would be happier if we were unbeaten even if that meant three draws.  

He will never change and no doubt we will be set up not to lose again against Barnsley.

2 minutes ago, AdamRam said:

Today highlights why GR will never be a good manager, he is to negative and rather than change something up to push for that second goal he would rather defend deeper in the hope of riding it out.

Cardiff have got only one fewer loss than us, however have a manager who would rather take one loss and two wins as opposed to ours who would look to take the point first and would be happier if we were unbeaten even if that meant three draws.  

He will never change and no doubt we will be set up not to lose again against Barnsley.

100% correct pal. I criticised him around the Christmas period because I felt he’d rather draw two games than win one and then lose one to “keep the momentum going” and people responded that it was because the period was busy and tiring on the players so I gave him the benefit of the doubt. However, the more I watch us, the more I realise he will never change. He claims to be a fan of Klopp’s philosophy when he’s not, he’s a Tony Pulis follower. 

PistoldPete2
29 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

We conceded too much possession , but i think its a bit much to say we were lucky. We were better team for first 30 minutes, then villa dominated for sure.  Part of that was due to us being 1-0 up, part of it due to us conceding possession too easily. Also I think we faded , not surprsiingly, having had another tough game in midweek which villa didnt have.

All in all , happy with performance and result from last three games. A little unlucky to lose to Boro as their second goal was offside and they were lucky to keep all 11 players on the pitch. epic performance against Cardiff and we ground out a result today. Four points from those tough games inside a week is briliant IMO.    A draw will do us next week. We've been there before and in the play offs before and ******* up. But you never know what will happen this time.  

2 hours ago, McLovin said:

Serves us right for being so negative. I hope people don’t assume that we will beat Barnsley next week and that it will be a walk in the park. The Forest result aside, they have been playing better than us recently and they will be fighting to stay up. That can easily be a draw if we don’t concentrate 

One of the few teams in this division in worse form than us since the turn of the year.

43 minutes ago, Doodle said:

That was just dog *****. We were playing a team who with a bit of luck we will play again soon. Yet we decided to play like a team who were playing Barcelona. Far far too much respect given to a mediocre team. Gary’s inferiority complex will cost us. Hero to zero in 4 days. For shame ?

Hysteria was not just an album by Def Leppard.

Archived