Aston Villa F.C. v Derby County F.C.

Boycie

Just now, AndyinLiverpool said:

See, that's what I love about this forum. Not only do I come here for the football chat but also to be better informed about the wider world.

See the 'knitting' thread in the pub...

• Replies 492
  • Created
  • Last Reply
37 minutes ago, McLovin said:

100% correct pal. I criticised him around the Christmas period because I felt he’d rather draw two games than win one and then lose one to “keep the momentum going” and people responded that it was because the period was busy and tiring on the players so I gave him the benefit of the doubt. However, the more I watch us, the more I realise he will never change. He claims to be a fan of Klopp’s philosophy when he’s not, he’s a Tony Pulis follower. 

I’m so glad you’re not the manager. 

1) you need 3 points to secure play offs. You’re away to one of the top teams, with the next game at home to one of the worst teams. You find yourself 1 up. Do you a) push for a 2-0 win and get it all wrapped up today, with a good chance that you’ll end up loosing 2-1 in the trying? b) hold on to 1-0, with a good chance you might end up with a draw, which still leaves you needing only a draw at home against  Barnsley?

2) you’re playing at home needing only a draw. Do you a) go all out for a win you don’t really need, with a good chance of leaving gaps at the back and kissing the game? b) keep everything right and discinplined, play for a win, worst case scenario, get a draw?

point is, we only need 2 points in 2 games. So we could go all out, win one and loose one, and get 3 points. But we could end up loosing them both. If we lost today, that would be properly squeaky bum time. 

Or we could play in a fashion where it’s unlikely we’ll do any worse than draw both, and get the two points we need (might even win, and nearly did today). Nice and easy and undramatic. 

I think Gary is actually being very sensible in this approach. 

Not saying I expect us to go super negative against 4th from bottom at home next week, Park the bus and play for a 0-0. But I don’t expect us to go all out crazy McClaren style attack either. It’s just not sensible in this position. 

3 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

1) you need 3 points to secure play offs. You’re away to one of the top teams, with the next game at home to one of the worst teams. You find yourself 1 up. Do you a) push for a 2-0 win and get it all wrapped up today, with a good chance that you’ll end up loosing 1-0 in the trying? b) hold on to 1-0, with a good chance you might end up with a draw, which still leaves you needing only a draw at home against  Barnsley?

2) you’re playing at home needing only a draw. Do you a) go all out for a win you don’t really need, with a good chance of leaving gaps at the back and kissing the game? b) keep everything right and discinplined, play for a win, worst case scenario, get a draw?

point is, we only need 2 points in 2 games. So we could go all out, win one and loose one, and get 3 points. But we could end up loosing them both. If we lost today, that would be properly squeaky bum time. 

Or we could play in a fashion where it’s unlikely we’ll do any worse than draw both, and get the two points we need (might even win, and nearly did today). Nice and easy and undramatic. 

Not saying I expect us to go super negative against 4th from bottom at home next week, Park the bus and play for a 0-0. But I don’t expect us to go all out crazy McClaren style attack either. It’s just not sensible in this position. 

I only read the first part, but if you find yourself one up how can you lose 1-0? You know they can’t take goals off you don’t you ?

Maybe thats GRs problem ?

2 minutes ago, AdamRam said:

I only read the first part, but if you find yourself one up how can you lose 1-0? You know they can’t take goals off you don’t you ?

Maybe thats GRs problem ?

I have no idea what you’re talking about. 

#nottoolateforanedit

16 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

1) you need 3 points to secure play offs. You’re away to one of the top teams, with the next game at home to one of the worst teams. You find yourself 1 up. Do you a) push for a 2-0 win and get it all wrapped up today, with a good chance that you’ll end up loosing 1-0 in the trying? b) hold on to 1-0, with a good chance you might end up with a draw, which still leaves you needing only a draw at home against  Barnsley?

You’re not wrong pal..... unless Barnsley win! 

Then there would e the mother of all meltdowns on here and every other form of social media against Gary for not being more attack minded; just saying. 

Football eh, game of opinions and we’ve got loads of F.M players in the stands all willing to give one. Sometimes you’re damned if you do, damned if you don’t as an actual manager.

Me I’d just like Gaz to take the brakes off the bus a bit more than present, because our bus looks like it can’t find an higher gear at times but that’s just my opinion too.

1 hour ago, Cam the Ram said:

The subs really didn't help today. Unless he was knackered or carrying a knock (didn't appear so), I don't understand why he took Lawrence off as he was the only player willing to keep hold of the ball. I don't have a clue what the thinking was with Pearce coming off for Hanson. And I personally would have took off Jerome rather than Weimann. Mind you, it's easy for me to say in hindsight

Pearce was knackered,fitness wise we were shot after 60mins.good point though.

Just now, Zag zig said:

You’re not wrong pal..... unless Barnsley win! 

Then there would e the mother of all meltdowns on here and every other form of social media against Gary for not being more attack minded; just saying. 

Football eh, game if opinions and we’ve got loads of F.M players in the stands all willing to give one. Sometimes you’re damned if you do, damned if you don’t as an actual manager.

Me I’d just like Gaz to take the brakes off the bus a bit more than present, because our bus looks like it can’t find an higher gear at times but that’s just my opinion too.

If we go all out next game, and lose, who will be first in line to give Gary a big pat on the back for giving it a good go? Well at least you let them off the leash today Gary, well done.

Either way, if he’s defensive or attaching, there’s always a chance we could lose, and if we do, no one will be applauding him. 

So for this game, I can forgive him for choosing the option that is most likely to not result in defeat. 

On other games I’m totally for the idea of winning as many as you loose, rather than drawing every game. But for this game, all we need is a point. Let’s not **** it all up by going hung ho, loosing an early goal, chasing the game, losing another, panicking, and then loosing to 3-0 to Barnsley.  

Slow and steady wins the race. 

24 minutes ago, Ramarena said:

I don't think anyone expected us to take four points from Cardiff and villa. Happy days!

Absolutely. Just a pity that some of the work ethic and performance was mysteriously absent in so many games prior to Cardiff and Villa. Many of them easily winnable. Very strange. 

2 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

If we go all out next game, and lose, who will be first in line to give Gary a big pat on the back for giving it a good go? Well at least you let them off the leash today Gary, well done.

Either way, if he’s defensive or attaching, there’s always a chance we could lose, and if we do, no one will be applauding him. 

So for this game, I can forgive him for choosing the option that is most likely to not result in defeat. 

On other games I’m totally for the idea of winning as many as you loose, rather than drawing every game. But for this game, all we need is a point. Let’s not **** it all up by going hung ho, loosing an early goal, chasing the game, losing another, panicking, and then loosing to 3-0 to Barnsley.  

Slow and steady wins the race. 

Think we will beat Barnsley anyway, as I expect they will have to attack, than rely on Preston; which should play into our hands. Chiefly as should leave spaces for us to counter, if we break with a little conviction.

So I think we’ll win for that reason, as it seems to be our strength at present, if we can be a bit more clinical. Not saying you’re wrong though btw. 

3 hours ago, A Ram for All Seasons said:

We didn't sit back. We were working our backsides off but just couldn't get the ball off them. It reminded me very much of the Brentford away game in September when we also had only about 25 % of the possession.

Hopefully we will have more of the ball against Barnsley so that we can do something creative with it, and we won't have a clueless, terrified looking Albentosa like we had in that fateful game against Reading when we bottled it.

All credit for a well earned point but one thing that is 100% certain is that we sat back 

28 minutes ago, Zag zig said:

Think we will beat Barnsley anyway, as I expect they will have to attack, than rely on Preston; which should play into our hands. Chiefly as should leave spaces for us to counter, if we break with a little conviction.

So I think we’ll win for that reason, as it seems to be our strength at present, if we can be a bit more clinical. Not saying you’re wrong though btw. 

Totally agree. I do think we’ll win. 

Just don’t want to see us get a draw next week, and have people on here saying it’s disappointing that we’ve drawn to Barnsley, we should’ve gone for it a bit more. If we get the point we need, I really won’t care at that point. 

6 hours ago, Parsnip said:

And if he manages to earn us a smash and grab 0-1 then I'm going to make him a cottage pie that he can warm up at home and have later.

Just spoke to GR and he's a bit upset that he missed out on your cottage pie. He wants to know if you'd consider going cottaging with him some other time. ?

PistoldPete2
51 minutes ago, swiftur said:

Pearce was knackered,fitness wise we were shot after 60mins.good point though.

why was pearce knackered . hes hardly played all season.

4 minutes ago, Steve How Hard? said:

Just spoke to GR and he's a bit upset that he missed out on your cottage pie.

Well then he should've brought on Joe Ledley after they brought on Kodjia like I told him to from my car! Then he might have held on for the win and he'd be tucking into that slow cooked beef ragu right now!

Archived