Derby County v Burton Albion match thread

Boycie

3 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Wisdom in for Baird, that will be it, maybe Russell 

Not trying to point out Russell again but weimann really deserves a good run in the squad would be unfair to take him out and why not give Thomas a chance instead of a guy with 6 months left on his contract 

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply
33 minutes ago, Topram said:

Not trying to point out Russell again but weimann really deserves a good run in the squad would be unfair to take him out and why not give Thomas a chance instead of a guy with 6 months left on his contract 

Only saying what I think will happen, I wholeheartedly agree with you. Weimann has been one of our best players in recent games, the intelligence behind his runs have been impressive, think he suits our style more the Russell.

16 hours ago, A Ram for All Seasons said:

My maths teacher at school used to play non-league for Burton Albion in the 1970s when the Rams were the top team in England. I still can't quite get over how big they have become.

True, so did a certain Kevin Hector and one Ian Storey Moore when I used to invest summat like 25p to watch them at Eton Park.

I can remember supporters going round the pitch at half-time with a blanket so we could chuck cash in to stave off a winding up order one season too!

Just like with the Rams, never a dull moment.

16 hours ago, A Ram for All Seasons said:

My maths teacher at school used to play non-league for Burton Albion in the 1970s when the Rams were the top team in England. I still can't quite get over how big they have become.

I did a brief rundown of what Burton had done for another forum I am on, in my opinion it is one of teh greatest rises seen in the UK, and all done without chucking money at it. Will always have a soft spot for Burton, so many links with Derby as well as loads of lads that I've played non-league with.

Round about Mexico 86 (level 6)

In 1984 they were in the 6th tier of English football, but got to the FA Trophy final with a team managed by Brian Fiddler, it was a PT team and was coppers/carpet fitters/builders that played.

Round about Italia 90 (Level 6)

I saw my first game at Eton Park, an FA Cup tie against Barry Frys Barnet in 88 I think. This is Eton Park

USA 94 (Level 6)

They used to switch between the Northern Premier League and The Southern League (Both tier 6) and had loads of managers after Fiddler in quick succession, usually someone who had previously played for Derby and it was a PT position. I refuse to play for them as I'm not informed of a postponed Youth team match, and basically view a team 2 levels lower down the pyramid as being better run.

France 98 (Level 6)

In 98, they appointed a recently retired Nigel Clough as player-manager, he was just 32 then. He basically went from playing for Man City to being a PT player-manager at Level 6 in the Southern League. All still at  Eton Park.

Japan/Korea 02 (Level 6)

Clough guides them to second place in the Southern league, back then there were no second place promotion places, so only winners were promoted. Still it was there joint ever highest league finishing position which was previously in 1953-54 in the Birmingham & District League

Clough, still player-Manger guides them to promotion from the Northern Premier League, for the first time in thier history Burton will play at Level 5. Brian Clough is a regular visitor to watch Nigel during this time.

Germany 06 (Level 5)

Still in the conference, Burton had now moved to a new home 'The Pirelli' Stadium, (Pirelli is a big employer in the town) and the chairman Ben Robinson got some Pirelli factory land for a song, and sold the old Eton Park for housing. Stadium cost around £8m quid and was needed if they ever wanted promotion to the Football League.

Burton are still P/T at this stage.

They draw man Utd in the FA Cup, draw 0-0 and make good money from the replay.

Still P/T, Clough Still manager, but they are now challenging at the top of the Conference, and lose a couple of Play Offs

Clough leaves with them top of Conference to join Championship Derby, but Roy McFarland takes them over the line and they are in the Football League now 

Burton smash their transfer record by spending a whopping £20,000 on Billy Kee.

South Africa 2010 (Level 4)

Paul Peschisolido (in his first managerial gig), has a now Full Time Burton bumbling around in Division 4/League Two and leaves after 3 seasons.

Burton Appoint Gary Rowett to his first managerial role.

They lose in the play offs twice.

Brazil 2014 (Level 3)

Rowett leaves them to join Championship Birmingham, with them top of league. JFH comes in and they will play in league one for the first time ever.

JFH, leaves the following season (this season), with them again top to join Championship QPR.

Clough comes back in to see them over the line. They will play in the second tier of English Football

They will play league fixtures against European Cup winners Nottingham Forest and Aston Villa. The last competitive match against Forest, was in teh now defunct Bass Charity Vase pre-season tournament.

Their highest transfer fee paid, is still the £20,000 for Billy Kee.

27 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Only saying what I think will happen, I wholeheartedly agree with you. Weimann has been one of our best players in recent games, the intelligence behind his runs have been impressive, think he suits our style more the Russell.

No I agree I think he well also somehow make his way back into the side, fact he's stayed in the side after have long runs of poor form would be unfair because weimann has been the one getting behind the parked defence 

2 minutes ago, Ruda Harliss said:

Would have picked almost the same team apart from Baird/Wisdom. Would like to see Andre today. Not that Baird has underperformed but i think we need to be more offensive 

Totally agree. Baird has tailed off last game and a half tho. If it’s still 0-0 at HT take a DM off and get an extra forward on. This Is a must win after Tuesday 

Archived