Chris Martin

DEL

22 hours ago, Simsy said:

It’s no coincidence Martin has only done well with Bryson in the side! In fact his whole career he’s struggled to hit 20 league only managing it once when I believe Bryson got into the teens. Therefore I would argue Martin needs brys more than the other way round. 

Martin is not prolific he won’t win any golden boots. He won’t even move that much. It’s hard to praise someone who hasn’t impressed when featured and had 1 goal in 31. 

The positives I will give him is he can hold a ball up he is physical and he does a couple of nice lay offs. He can be useful for our side not doubting that but personally I would want my number 9 to bang in over 20 league goals a season

What a selective piece of argument. When a team has players for whom passing sequences and lay-offs for each other  is an important part of success ( i.e. Martin, Bryson ,Hughes etc ) you can't just pick one to give all the credit  to. They are interdependent. 

If Martin is less effective now its because Rowett's style does not value that style of play. That's why Bryson and Hughes have gone and Martin and even the goal-scoring Vydra are not used as much as they could be. 

You are in denial that Martin was ever any good. What other Derby player in the last 10 seasons has scored more than 20 goals in two successive seasons? Nobody else even comes close to that.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here we go with the myth that Martin is a continual 20 goal striker......Yep he did so twice and yes he was a fantastic striker for us in that time period.

Yet since then his goal tally has continually got worse season on season, there is know denying he was once  a good striker for us, but he time is gone he has peaked as a striker for us,  1 in 31 is shocking.

He is now really an impact striker and there is nothing wrong in that, it would give us options in a game.

18 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Anymore #toddyfacts for us?

His Wolves and Fulham moves not gone so well, obviously.

He's not going to be what he was, because we're not the team we were. That of itself doesn't make Martin and his clever linking, hold up play and goals less valuable.

Even so, he should really have had three or four assists from his last 245 minutes of action! 

58 minutes ago, toddy said:

Here we go with the myth that Martin is a continual 20 goal striker......Yep he did so twice and yes he was a fantastic striker for us in that time period.

Yet since then his goal tally has continually got worse season on season, there is know denying he was once  a good striker for us, but he time is gone he has peaked as a striker for us,  1 in 31 is shocking.

He is now really an impact striker and there is nothing wrong in that, it would give us options in a game.

1 hour ago, toddy said:

ZomboMeme toddy.jpg

1 hour ago, toddy said:

Which literally nobody is disagreeing with. Just a few people trying to point out flaws in peoples logics when they bang on about 20 goals a season strikers and previous achievements. 

I haven't seen one person say Martin is a 20 goals a season striker at this current moment in time. In this set up, he definitely isn't. 

Just out of interest, can any Martin detractors actually give me a response as to why he didn’t start on Saturday? Like a proper relevant response to why Nugent and Winnall made sense over him? Not ‘he’s an impact player’ nothing about him not being a 20 goal a year striker, but how we didn’t miss a hold up player who actually keeps his position? 

I mean you’ve had nearly two days and I’ve yet to see a decent response. 

23 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

Just out of interest, can any Martin detractors actually give me a response as to why he didn’t start on Saturday? Like a proper relevant response to why Nugent and Winnall made sense over him? Not ‘he’s an impact player’ nothing about him not being a 20 goal a year striker, but how we didn’t miss a hold up player who actually keeps his position? 

I mean you’ve had nearly two days and I’ve yet to see a decent response. 

To be fair, that team on Saturday would have been correct had it been set up correctly. 

Sadly it wasn’t and Reading had spare men galore 

8 minutes ago, cannable said:

To be fair, that team on Saturday would have been correct had it been set up correctly. 

Sadly it wasn’t and Reading had spare men galore 

Why would a pairing of Winnall and Nuge work well, they seem two similar style 'poachers' to me?

8 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Why would a pairing of Winnall and Nuge work well, they seem two similar style 'poachers' to me?

Who run their b******* off. I’d argue Nuge’s a link up man as well.

It’s alright Stam coming out and saying that they new how to exploit us but everybody knows they play out from the back. 

Nuge on Bacuna, Winnall, Lawrence and Johnny on their back three and we stifle them. 

Instead we had had Winnall and Nuge chasing the back three and Bacuna with Johnny and Lawrence marking their wing-backs - and the end result was spare men galore.  

How we set-up suited Martin, how we should have set-up suited Winnall and Nuge. 

27 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Yes but only when thinking about if it would be possible to make our midfield any more immobile than it already is.

You say it like it’s a bad thing, I think our biggest fault is we leave the midfield two totally exposed due to a no.10 willingness to bomb forward. Works well when it works, but we look exposed when it goes wrong. Martin might not be ideal but he’d be a presence 

3 hours ago, cannable said:

Who run their b******* off. I’d argue Nuge’s a link up man as well.

It’s alright Stam coming out and saying that they new how to exploit us but everybody knows they play out from the back. 

Nuge on Bacuna, Winnall, Lawrence and Johnny on their back three and we stifle them. 

Instead we had had Winnall and Nuge chasing the back three and Bacuna with Johnny and Lawrence marking their wing-backs - and the end result was spare men galore.  

How we set-up suited Martin, how we should have set-up suited Winnall and Nuge. 

Had a long think about this at work. In essence I agree with what you are saying, but I also think Saturday’s game showed why the four closing down didn’t work because they ended up chasing shadows for the most part which  left gaps to be totally exposed behind them. It’s also ok to be tracking players, but what do you do once you have the ball? We ended up lacking quality because we didn’t have a calmer player on the ball going forward.

4 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

In no way is Nugent a poacher, he’s a hold up man. That being said that pairing was never going to work with such a slow midfield, especially set up as a 442 leaving a massive gap between midfield and attack.

18 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

You say it like it’s a bad thing, I think our biggest fault is we leave the midfield two totally exposed due to a no.10 willingness to bomb forward. Works well when it works, but we look exposed when it goes wrong. Martin might not be ideal but he’d be a presence 

It's a very bad thing if you are relying on your number 10 to shore up defensive frailties.

Archived