Chris Martin

DEL

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 hours ago, Leicester Ram said:

@Simsy Craig Bryson, the player in your avatar, is a Derby legend who owes a large part of his reputation and legacy to Chris Martin, the player you seem so reluctant to give any praise. You can't take away his passion and work rate but Bryson was half the player before he had Martin to play off. No coincidence he dropped off and went back to being a fairly ordinary championship player when he didn't have him to play with anymore.

It’s no coincidence Martin has only done well with Bryson in the side! In fact his whole career he’s struggled to hit 20 league only managing it once when I believe Bryson got into the teens. Therefore I would argue Martin needs brys more than the other way round. 

Martin is not prolific he won’t win any golden boots. He won’t even move that much. It’s hard to praise someone who hasn’t impressed when featured and had 1 goal in 31. 

The positives I will give him is he can hold a ball up he is physical and he does a couple of nice lay offs. He can be useful for our side not doubting that but personally I would want my number 9 to bang in over 20 league goals a season

1 minute ago, Simsy said:

It’s no coincidence Martin has only done well with Bryson in the side! In fact his whole career he’s struggled to hit 20 league only managing it once when I believe Bryson got into the teens. Therefore I would argue Martin needs brys more than the other way round. 

Martin is not prolific he won’t win any golden boots. He won’t even move that much. It’s hard to praise someone who hasn’t impressed when featured and had 1 goal in 31. 

The positives I will give him is he can hold a ball up he is physical and he does a couple of nice lay offs. He can be useful for our side not doubting that but personally I would want my number 9 to bang in over 20 league goals a season

Strewth 

5 minutes ago, Simsy said:

What is happening here

23 hours ago, McLovin said:

Never been Martin's biggest fan, not because he hasn't been good for us because his goalscoring record shows he has but because the way we previously built our whole team around him. This caused us many problems if we were off form or he was injured- as seen in the infamous second half of the 14/15 season. I think it's better for the team and for him that he isn't necessarily a guaranteed starter. He's looked very sharp recently and hope he continues his form because when he's on form- he can provide us 25-35 goals a season with his goals and assists

Well articulated.  Playing him every week when we couldn't play the tactics needed to get the best out of him due to our inabilities or the skill of the opposition was awful.  He needs to be part of the team not the only part

18 minutes ago, Simsy said:

What on earth are you on about?

Martin's goals per game actually got better in 14/15 when Hendrick took Bryson's starting place and then Martin continued to score goals in 15/16 when he had absolutely no one playing near him the way Bryson did in 13/14. He impressed at Fulham, without Bryson, despite all the drama on and off the field.

I don't see how you can make that argument, at all.

Martin didn't win the golden boot in 13/14, 14/15 or 15/16 but still contributed to a massive amount of goals and helped players around him score goals. Martin will never be a golden boot winner because he's a great all round player who can contribute to teammates (I.e. Bryson) scoring goals. He's not like Charlie Austin was when he'd do s*** all for 90 minutes but pop up with a goal.

I'm sorry but your arguments are even less convincing than Ninos' and that's saying something.

20 minutes ago, Simsy said:

Genuinely reads like Ninos has taken over your account. 

26 minutes ago, ossieram said:

GR must have gone mad when we went against his plans and scored so early against forest and wednesday.

Can't really plan for a worldie and a red + penalty. Out of his hands.

On a serious note it seems to be start strong and finish strong. Defend and counter for the rest.

1 hour ago, Simsy said:

Pathetic. Don't call yourself a Derby fan.

1 hour ago, Simsy said:

Sigh.

30 minutes ago, Leicester Ram said:

What on earth are you on about?

Martin's goals per game actually got better in 14/15 when Hendrick took Bryson's starting place and then Martin continued to score goals in 15/16 when he had absolutely no one playing near him the way Bryson did in 13/14. He impressed at Fulham, without Bryson, despite all the drama on and off the field.

I don't see how you can make that argument, at all.

Martin didn't win the golden boot in 13/14, 14/15 or 15/16 but still contributed to a massive amount of goals and helped players around him score goals. Martin will never be a golden boot winner because he's a great all round player who can contribute to teammates (I.e. Bryson) scoring goals. He's not like Charlie Austin was when he'd do s*** all for 90 minutes but pop up with a goal.

I'm sorry but your arguments are even less convincing than Ninos' and that's saying something.

You state Bryson playing well is dependant on Martin but I don’t think that at all. Clearly I don’t feel the importance of researching every point before I make it but I thought Martin shone with Bryson ‘doing the running’ for him?

He got what 10goals last season for Fulham? Ended up benched behind aluko in the pecking order.

You can’t argue with facts and it was a fact he scored 1 in 31 apps. Martin won’t be a golden boot winner because he’s not prolific enough. It’s not because he’s a great all round player :lol: 

Goals win games and I want my strikers to score as many as possible. 

14 minutes ago, Simsy said:

Pathetic??? Explain why...

Because I don’t rate Chris Martin? 

Dont even f****** question my support for this club.

Simsy I'm with you I don't rate Martin and I've been to 15 league games this season Dont suppose I'm a Derby fan either 

2 hours ago, Simsy said:

You state Bryson playing well is dependant on Martin but I don’t think that at all. Clearly I don’t feel the importance of researching every point before I make it but I thought Martin shone with Bryson ‘doing the running’ for him?

He got what 10goals last season for Fulham? Ended up benched behind aluko in the pecking order.

You can’t argue with facts and it was a fact he scored 1 in 31 apps. Martin won’t be a golden boot winner because he’s not prolific enough. It’s not because he’s a great all round player :lol: 

Conor Sammom ran a lot, didn't make him a decent player. And that's the point isn't it? Not every player has the technical ability Martin has or the ability to feed players like Bryson. That's what makes Martin a special player at this level, there's not many strikers in the league like him.

Anyone can run, Martin has played well with runners, plenty of players just at Derby have 'done the running' for Martin, plenty of players across the football league can 'do the running'. 

Also, it doesn't matter if he's not prolific enough to win the golden boot, he's been prolific enough to feature heavily in teams that have reached the playoffs. 3 out of the last 4 seasons, Martin's been a regular striker for teams that have made the play-off's, he is by all means good enough for this Derby team and any team in the division.

Meanwhile Jordan Rhodes was top goalscorer in the league at Blackburn, who did f*** all. Got a move, never made it at PL level, despite being a striker who's 'prolific enough' to win the golden boot.

Vydra didn't score many last season when the team didn't suit him, Martin's had a dry spell when we haven't suited him as a team.

The difference between me and you is that I rate both of them, because I'm not blinded by an attention seeking bias.

The good old 20 goals a season striker myth. How many times has his happened at the club over the past 20 years? Over the last 10? 

Ironically it’s probably only Martin who’s done it for the club over the past decade and consistently got near it. :lol:

8 hours ago, Mr Tibbs said:

The good old 20 goals a season striker myth. How many times has his happened at the club over the past 20 years? Over the last 10? 

Ironically it’s probably only Martin who’s done it for the club over the past decade and consistently got near it. :lol:

The only striker to do it since 95/96.

10 hours ago, Simsy said:

Martin's worse return for us over a season was the same as Howard's season when we got promoted and 1 less than Rasiak's season under Burley.

Archived