Chris Martin

DEL

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On his birthday as well, pleased for him to get back on the scoresheet. Came across well in his interview this week, hard not to feel for him a bit with everything that’s gone on. 

Will probably tell you it means nothing with a result like that, which is true, still nice to get that not scored in X games stat off your back.

Was going to try and not post this for fear of backlash etc but I’m heading out soon and need to get it out before I chew the ear off a mate who doesn’t really care.

But why the heck didn’t Martin start? You win Tuesday and played the 90 so why didn’t he deserve that place. What makes it worse is that McShane at the age of 47 (sic) coasted through that for the most part. Like it or not they had Winnall and Nugent sussed.

If I was Martin I’d be on knocking on Rowetts door Monday morning asking what he needs to do. He’s been hard done by a few times this season 

I am middle of the road when it comes to CM. Lots of respect for his abilities with a few niggling doubts about his flexibility in some set ups, but he looked very sharp today, on his game and brought a some much needed subtlety to the front line. I sort of got my wish to see him and Nuge together but the circumstances weren't ideal. Delighted he added to his tally, happy birthday Chris

Deserves a start, sooner rather than later. 

Whoopety do ... he got a consolation in a thrashing. Martin is largely irrelevant as an impact player, rather it’s not starting Vydra that cost us up front. Rowett knows that too although rumblings are he’s not fully fit. Who knows. Now we just cross our fingers and hope Vyds is still confident moodwise after the strange droppings. Winnall and Martin are both impact subs on this team. 

22 minutes ago, Ninos said:

Whoopety do ... he got a consolation in a thrashing. Martin is largely irrelevant as an impact player, rather it’s not starting Vydra that cost us up front. Rowett knows that too although rumblings are he’s not fully fit. Who knows. Now we just cross our fingers and hope Vyds is still confident moodwise after the strange droppings. Winnall and Martin are both impact subs on this team. 

What a load of crap ninos...

Show a bit of humility when you are wrong fella.

p5h3GP4t5JjAQ.gif

We were absolutely crying out for him today.

When we play without Martin, we effectively surrender the possession to the opposition and cannot keep it effectively ourselves, even when we sorely need to.

By no means am I saying that Martin is always the answer, when we have games like Forest at home or Hull at home, I wouldn't have it any other way than Nugent and Vydra, but there's games like today where we need a different approach.

This must be a real wake-up call for the people who think pacey forwards are the answer to everything. We were completely outclassed by a team with far more balance than we have and are completely comfortable in possession. Part of the reason they looked so much better is because of the way we set up, it really complimented them.

It's all very well wanting to surrended possession to the opposition so you can counter-attack and play in the space behind the defence but that completely played into Readings hands. They absolutely thrive off possession, were completely comfortable passing the ball deep in their own territory, passing deep drew out our immobile midfield, which in turn created a lot of space for their creative midfielders and gave them room to pick us apart with quick passes on the ground in and around our box.

We basically gave Reading exactly what they wanted and were completely wasteful with the ball ourselves. The combination of Winnall and Nugent gave us absolutely no control of the ball whenever we actually had it, we'd get it on the centre circle and 10 seconds later Reading would be recycling it around their back 5.

What we absolutely needed was a player like Martin either holding the ball up so our team could move up and apply pressure on Reading or providing slick interplay with the wingers and number 10.

I rate Nugent, next to Martin he's our most canny forward but when he's the best we have on the pitch for build up play, it just looks flimsy. The combination of Nugent and Vydra/Winnall is just far too wasteful in possession to be effective against a team like Reading, who were superb at giving us as little of the ball as possible. Anytime we got the ball with that combination up front, we couldn't pick apart a compact defence for the life of us.

There's a reason our wingers have barely contributed with goals, the combination of Vydra and Nugent doesn't help our overall attacking play the way a striker like Martin does. In fact, I don't think one of our wingers has actually scored when Martin hasn't been on the pitch? All I can think of is Russell's two goals, one away at Barnsley and his goal today.

@Simsy Craig Bryson, the player in your avatar, is a Derby legend who owes a large part of his reputation and legacy to Chris Martin, the player you seem so reluctant to give any praise. You can't take away his passion and work rate but Bryson was half the player before he had Martin to play off. No coincidence he dropped off and went back to being a fairly ordinary championship player when he didn't have him to play with anymore.

@Ninos you've happily spent the past month calling Rowett a tactical genius and harping on about Nugent/Vydra/Winnall, but today's really showed that we can't just plug in two of our pacey attackers and have success. The flaws in Rowett's system was exposed today. Results have been good but Rowett himself has admitted that the performances in our two home wins were far from perfect.

The fact you maintain that Martin is 'a largely irrelevant impact player' when he played the full 90 minutes in one of our best performances of the season just this week and the much heralded Vydra was hauled off at half-time for Martin in another one of our best performances of the season just last week completely undermines any credibility your opinion has.

Your opinion is so obviously biased and ignorant of so many facts and factors that I don't think anyone who's read this forum for the past 18 months can actually take anything you say seriously.

And until Rowett realises that Chris Martin should be the first name on the team sheet EVERY WEEK, things will not improve long term .. the last few matches served only to paper over the cracks temporarily .. 

Unfortunately the manager has shown no more awareness of the value of CM (or indeed Will Hughes) than the idiotic Pearson ! 

Martin offered next to nothing at all for the time he was on the pitch today. I'm glad he scored but it was a meaningless goal in the context of the game. Did nothing for me to suggest his efforts warranted a start next time. Not that anyone else did of course.

I agree with bits of the above by @Leicester Ram, but one point: Russell's goal had nothing to do with Martin, and everything to do with Johnson.

I'm not criticising him by the way, he was no better or worse than anyone, but the game was crying out for Vydra to link the midfield and attack, but turns out after the event he wasn't fit despite for some reason being on the bench. Thorne too may well have made a difference with his passing ability. But to say after watching that 90 minutes that somehow it has elevated Martin to must-play status is wrong imo.

Archived