GR - stick or twist

Spanish

3 hours ago, Derby blood said:

They are now in the bottom 3 hahaha, and they now have no direction at all, Rowett did a VERY good job at Brum, and he will do here given time, and Forest does not decide his future, hope Mel does not think like some of our negative, clueless supporters, like yourself Lol.

Rowett's previous managerial success, if you want to call it that, is quite limited and he is a relatively inexperienced manager.  The jobs at Burton and Birmingham City are completely different challenges to the one at DCFC. I do hope he delivers promotion, as surely that is the target that the chairman has set. Otherwise it's quite possible that MM has seen something special in his latest appointment, that isn't actually there. You suggest he will deliver success given time.  Of course, time will tell.....

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Any chance everyone can now finally put this argument to bed & see that GR is moving the club forward

People were ready to lynch him after the Brentford away performance but this had been on the back of 3 previous away games in which we had shipped 10 goals (3 at Barnsley in the Cup, 4 at Bristol City and 3 at Sheffield Utd). He first set about making us harder to beat with 3 draws on the bounce but the turnaround in just 2 months has been marked & we are certainly no longer the ‘soft touch’ we had been previously.

For me this season has remarkable similarities with the promotion season under The Bald Eagle in which GR played a part. Previous top players (Short, Williams & Pembridge) were sold to fund a rebuilding programme with fans questioning the quality of the replacements &   screaming for his head after the first 8 games not liking his style of football. Then he settled on a 5-3-2 formation, brought in a talisman (Igor) to bring it all together & we started to surge up the table. Move forward almost 20 years & top players sold in the summer (Hughes, Ince, Christie) to fund a rebuilding programme with fans questioning the quality & age of the replacements. Many were screaming for GR’s head after 8 games, didn’t like his style of football before he settled on his 4-2-3-1 formation. Then he brings in his own talisman (Ledley) to bring it al together & once again we are surging up the table!

Don’t get me wrong things still aren’t perfect but things are certainly moving in the right direction. I said GR was the man even if we don’t go up this season & that he shouldn’t be judged until 10 games into next season when he has had 2 more windows to reshape the squad.

For the first time in many years we seem to be building a strong & sustainable side in the mould of the Arthur Cox & Bald Eagle promotion teams.

Long may it continue - in GR we trust!!

1 hour ago, Cool As Custard said:

For me this season has remarkable similarities with the promotion season under The Bald Eagle in which GR played a part. Previous top players (Short, Williams & Pembridge) were sold to fund a rebuilding programme with fans questioning the quality of the replacements &   screaming for his head after the first 8 games not liking his style of football. Then he settled on a 5-3-2 formation, brought in a talisman (Igor) to bring it all together & we started to surge up the table. Move forward almost 20 years & top players sold in the summer (Hughes, Ince, Christie) to fund a rebuilding programme with fans questioning the quality & age of the replacements. Many were screaming for GR’s head after 8 games, didn’t like his style of football before he settled on his 4-2-3-1 formation. Then he brings in his own talisman (Ledley) to bring it al together & once again we are surging up the table!

While I agree with most of this... Christie, a top player... really? :lol:

5 minutes ago, Inverurie Ram said:

"Well firstly you can stick your brolly, secondly you can stick your sunglasses.............

orma68.jpg

I should inform you that anyone disrespecting the legacy of Steve McClaren more than once will get a warning point and kick to the face if I ever meet them in real life.

I'd stay out the Brunny, Inverurie ?

Interesting to think, given the influence of Ledley and the deep lying double CDM set up he's clearly made for, how it might have been had Kief signed the right bit of the form. Seemed like a disaster at the time, but tonight it looks like a stroke of outrageous luck.

Today was a good 3 points for us definitely. However 3 points against a good team doesn't suddenly make a manager the right person for the job just as a loss against a poor team wouldn't make them the wrong one. Ultimately I think people's opinions on Rowett heavily rely on whether they get their enjoyment from the results or from the actual performance. 

If this kind of football gets us promotion then fantastic. Otherwise it will have been dull football for no other reason than grinding out points when we could also get the same points playing attractive football as shown in recent seasons. 

1 hour ago, dcfcfan1 said:

Am I the only f****** who doesnt find this kind of football dull?

Give me direct football and get the ball into the box over all this repetitive passing any day of the week?

People have vivid imaginations and everything's always better once it' gone. If mac was still here playing his "beautiful" football people would be whinging about our soft under belly. 

You know what I enjoy ? Not whinceing that were going to concede every set play that gets whipped into our box , or being so frustrated with wide build up play then failing to break the opponent down. 

I like the solidness of the back 7 and the pace and creativity of the front 4. I love watching a good counter , it's under rated. You can start to see Rowetts vision developing on the pitch , it was always going to take time , our squad was damaged goods and needed repairing , Rowett knows what he's doing. 

Don’t know what it is about Rowett’s teams, but they just seem to get results from unexpected places.

A number of our recent wins could have been so different had the opposition scored their easy chances.

It’s as if under Rowett we have a knack of getting lucky and then being clinical when our chance comes.

Unbelievable how weve managed to get wins at Leeds, Norwich and Boro considering the glut in clear chances theyve had against us.

9 hours ago, dcfcfan1 said:

Am I the only f****** who doesnt find this kind of football dull?

Give me direct football and get the ball into the box over all this repetitive passing any day of the week?

No, you aren't, there were enough chanting GR's song yesterday....... but, most games I swing from what the hell is this pointless crap in the first half, to at last we are playing how I think he wants us to in the second. Again yesterday was a very average first half and we rode our luck to not concede, but the goal was excellent mind, first time we'd actually got into final third....  That's my issue, we don't get the ball into the final third let alone the box with any real purpose for at least half a game.

Second half, was much better and very purposeful, hence enjoyable to me. Same last Tuesday, dull as dishwater first half and a little better second.

I don't know if it's a master plan, but regularly at half time I wonder why I'm there, very little of note to recall and bored to near death....... and tbh, the second half against QPR barely made up for it, so glad I went yesterday though, as overall we played well.

But of course, this is my opinion and I don't expect or ask anyone else to have the same

3 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

Don’t know what it is about Rowett’s teams, but they just seem to get results from unexpected places.

A number of our recent wins could have been so different had the opposition scored their easy chances.

It’s as if under Rowett we have a knack of getting lucky and then being clinical when our chance comes.

Unbelievable how weve managed to get wins at Leeds, Norwich and Boro considering the glut in clear chances theyve had against us.

They had 2 shots on target yesterday

The Championship is about earning the right to play, then exerting some control on the game. The teams are very evenly matched in this division, the teams with creative and clinical match winners who can stay solid rise to the top. Rowett gets that, he's made us solid knowing we have match winners. 

Wolves aside, there's no one to fear in this league and I think we'll be in the mix and could finish anywhere between 2nd or 8th, need a few more tweaks in January though.

3 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

Absolutely. I've been thinking exactly this. We seem to be "lucky" but so frequently that it cannot be luck.

(1) We seem to be getting lots of penalties

(2) Teams don't convert chances against us: Boro had 3 very scorable one yesterday - brilliant save by Carson and the other 2 just plain misses. 

(3) Refs have not given opposition penalties : Red dogs, Sheffield Wed & Leeds all could have had them. 

Coincidence? Or is GR a lucky manager? Do you make your own luck? 

Archived