GR - stick or twist

Spanish

many comments on here some impassioned and well considered.

just wondered under what circumstances would you change your mind and reverse your opinions

would relegation do it, results against Florist (or Burton), FA Cup run, mid table security with 5 games to go?  Get rid now, give him 3 years no matter what happens?

for me I will stick but if we were teetering on the edge of relegation in March I would most likely likely want him gone with the hope that we get an improvement in performances associated normally with such a change

'what do you guys think?'

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Spanish said:

many comments on here some impassioned and well considered.

just wondered under what circumstances would you change your mind and reverse your opinions

would relegation do it, results against Florist (or Burton), FA Cup run, mid table security with 5 games to go?  Get rid now, give him 3 years no matter what happens?

for me I will stick but if we were teetering on the edge of relegation in March I would most likely likely want him gone with the hope that we get an improvement in performances associated normally with such a change

'what do you guys think?'

Good post and one that got me thinking.

In answer to the bit in bold - the sight of Nigel Pearson talking to Mel?

My mindset is that I can't see anything so far that reassures me that Rowett can cut it so the shift has to be what would make me think he could?

I would like Rowett to come out and reaffirm his objectives for the season. If he wants to stick with this top 2 top 6 stuff then fine, he can be judged on that towards the end of the season, if he wants to be more modest in his aspirations I won't like that but would be tolerant. More broadly Rowett should only say what he can actually deliver ('pace and power' is another quote that sticks out as being one that we have yet to see translated into reality).

I also think that an improvement in performances would help. The only game in his tenure that sticks out as being the sort of football that I would like to see is the Fulham game but Rowett was in charge so he can deliver that type of performance. As context I see teh Hull game as a great win but the performance wasn't as good as the Fulham game.

Winning isn't the key thing for me - I simply want the manager to deliver what he says he will (assuming that his mandate isn't to take us down and build from there).

I think most fans would be happy to keep him if there was a plan. With Clement, I got it. With Pearson, I had no bloody clue what he was trying to do. 

Give Rowett at least until Xmas. If there is a clear direction, then we should support that with another transfer window at least. If by Xmas we are all still scratching our heads while being served up drivel, it might be time to have a think. 

12 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

How many more threads can we have about whether or not GR should be released just by giving it a different title? 

just one more obviously:p

just ignore it if it causes offence, I'm genuinely interested and all the other threads do not contain comments related to what would change their minds

happy reading

I'd stick rather than twist if there was a change in Gary's backroom staff - I'm not convinced they're good enough nor are they providing good enough back up for GR. Think Simmo and Steele for Mac, they are quality. Plus if there was a more positive attitude to games ie the opposition should worry about us firstly!

But that ain't gonna happen, is it? 

I'd stick, I will change my mind if we are looking relegation certs come Christmas time.

I would want to see notable improvement by the end of the season too.

2 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

I'd stick rather than twist if there was a change in Gary's backroom staff - I'm not convinced they're good enough nor are they providing good enough back up for GR. Think Simmo and Steele for Mac, they are quality. Plus if there was a more positive attitude to games ie the opposition should worry about us firstly!

But that ain't gonna happen, is it? 

good points, think generally the backroom has been poor for sometime and not just on the training pitch.  I know some disagree but I think recruitment has been poor since before Clough jnr

Twist, he has had both this season and the back end of last to evaluate the team.

6 players on Tuesday were brought in by him, and the last two away performances have been awful on the eye.

Having said that, id happily sacrifice free flowing football if we could get the results, and that would change my mind.  

There is no indication of that though, and I  therefore I dont think he will take us forward at any point during his tenure.

Archived