GR - stick or twist

Spanish

1 minute ago, CROSSWORD said:

Im definately in the twist brigade,i see no improvement in skill,style or attitude since GR came in.In fact we all know its gone the reverse.

Just because i dont have the mega thick rose coloureds on that some do please dont call me not a true supporter or wrist slasher(well maybe wristslasher is apt)

GR has had time in my view for people to see what he,s about ,what his plan is ,where he,s taking us and its obvious we are going nowhere under his system.Get rid now i say and give the new man whoever that is, time to sort out the mess we,re in.

Oh and Carsley is a good shout by the way. 

Brum have replaced Carsley already as I don't think he wants a full time post. 

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

(To the tune of Folsom Prison Blues)

when I was just a young boy, my mama told me son

Always play the Derby Way - o'hare, hector, hinton

Then we got gary in for stevie, and we watched it die

When I hear that whistle blowin' I hang my head and cry

incey, hughes and bryson; we sent them on their way,

might as well get rid 'cause we don't need them anyway,

Steve Bloomer might be watchin', but i have to say,

I think its far more likely, he turned and looked away.

Obviously stick with him. You'd be foolish to think we should sack yet another manager when in the past few seasons we have gone backwards as a club from doing so. 

We're clearly a mid table side with very little consistency. Give the man a season to put his plan in place and clear what he deems as deadwood, then have a real crack at next season. We're a shambles due to our chopping and changing at the moment; sacking Rowett is just going to fuel our disarray. 

48 minutes ago, lrm14 said:

Obviously stick with him. You'd be foolish to think we should sack yet another manager when in the past few seasons we have gone backwards as a club from doing so. 

You have the cart before the horse. We've gone backwards from the managers we have chosen, not because we sacked them!

2 hours ago, RamNut said:

(To the tune of Folsom Prison Blues)

when I was just a young boy, my mama told me son

Always play the Derby Way - o'hare, hector, hinton

Then we got gary in for stevie, and we watched it die

When I hear that whistle blowin' I hang my head and cry

incey, hughes and bryson; we sent them on their way,

might as well get rid 'cause we don't need them anyway,

Steve Bloomer might be watchin', but i have to say,

I think its far more likely, he turned and looked away.

Bravo!

20 hours ago, europia said:

I imagine even Mel would have to admit to giving up on 'the Derby way'  when he replaced Mac with GR. 

Way before that. If you see the press conference when Nigel Pearson took over, Sam Rush clearly said they were having a change of direction and reverting back to a old style manager system rather than the collegiate approach favoured by Paul Clement.

The ethos behind what Mel Morris meant by the Derby Way still stands I'm sure. It's just a shame that the phrase has been hijacked by all and sundry as a way of criticising whoever it is they want to criticise at that moment in time.

On 28/09/2017 at 13:36, BondJovi said:

The problems at this club run deeper than purely the manager. We have had a few seasons where expectations are insanely high. We have paid players handsomely to come and get us promoted. We had an identity, we had a team and instead of building on that we threw money around trying to buy ourselves out of the league. Everything that was good about the squad is gone. We think we are better than we really are, that comes from the man at the top of the club, right through to the fans.

I believe Rowett is trying to bring some realisation, an understanding that we have no divine right to win that we have to work hard. His transfer dealings so far seem sensible in the fees paid. He has probably gone too far in giving respect for the opposition but we are long gone from being able to have that arrogance. So many mistakes have been made before Rowett even arrived that he has a lot of work to do. He hasn't helped himself so far and I struggle to think of too many reasons to be excited for the coming months. Yet he clearly doesn't have the squad he wanted, he clearly failed to get as much change over in the squad as he wanted. I believe some of our players are capable of more, but it isn't just Rowett they haven't performed for.

We have to stick with him, maybe a midtable season is what we need. He is paying the price for previous c*** ups and it would be unfair to not give him the time to try and fix our issues. Our club will be better off in the long run for sticking with him, it just may not be pretty for a while.

Great post.

Your bit about fan entitlement got me thinking - where is Mostyn? Has he changed his username or just disappeared? I miss him.

I just don't see how things are going to improve...we are boxed in. We have to stick with GR and see how things progress but I don't like the style of football. We had great potential this year which with a couple of sagacious additions would have put us up there...but GR has tried to fix areas that weren't broken and in so doing has taken us backwards. 

24 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

I just don't see how things are going to improve...we are boxed in. We have to stick with GR and see how things progress but I don't like the style of football. We had great potential this year which with a couple of sagacious additions would have put us up there...but GR has tried to fix areas that weren't broken and in so doing has taken us backwards. 

Ultimately if I was Mel Morris I'd stick with Rowett for now but would be looking long and hard for somebody to take over next summer, possibly looking for someone to come in as director of football given Mel Morris' original vision of the derby way.

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

You have the cart before the horse. We've gone backwards from the managers we have chosen, not because we sacked them!

I agree but I think the club is begging for some stability right now. We can't keep chopping and changing managers at the rate we have been in the past couple of seasons, we'll never get anywhere with that mentality. It's going to be an exceptionally hard task for whoever takes us over so for now its best we just get behind Rowett and prepare for a very long season.

27 minutes ago, lrm14 said:

I agree but I think the club is begging for some stability right now. We can't keep chopping and changing managers at the rate we have been in the past couple of seasons, we'll never get anywhere with that mentality. It's going to be an exceptionally hard task for whoever takes us over so for now its best we just get behind Rowett and prepare for a very long season.

Looks like a very long long season with little prospects of reward.

Listening to the press conference with Gary tonight,it's,quite clear that he isn't going to change,if it in any way resembles how we used to play........he is absolutely intent on changing our style no matter the consequences by the look of it,just to add his stamp on the team.

Now that's fine if it's an improvement,is it just pig headedness if it continues to fail?

4 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Looks like a very long long season with little prospects of reward.

Listening to the press conference with Gary tonight,it's,quite clear that he isn't going to change,if it in any way resembles how we used to play........he is absolutely intent on changing our style no matter the consequences by the look of it,just to add his stamp on the team.

Now that's fine if it's an improvement,is it just pig headedness if it continues to fail?

I was one of those who wanted Mac to stay at the end of last season. He suited our style of play, knew a lot of the players very well and saved us from the claws of an egotistical maniac hell bent on getting us relegated last season. But Mel obviously still holds grudges and felt it was necessary to get rid, or at the very least the prospect of Rowett was too much to turn down. Our style of play sadly has been changing ever since Mac left the first time and it's not coming back for quite a while I feel. Although I'm not happy with us moving away from such an attractive brand of football, I will be happy if it were to yield more success for the club. I'm tired of seeing managers who are known for a somewhat negative approach to football being given a few months before getting the chop for a similar manager peddling their own personal but similar brand. All it's doing is making us worse and worse with every appointment and I'm bored with having a side of mercenaries who have no real identity.

We're due a season at midtable so we can rebuild and I currently think we're going through that phase, which is why I'm so keen on seeing Rowett given a chance to see it off. Unless it looks like he's taking us down I'm very happy to give him the reins this season because at the moment we don't even have the base of a team. We're lacking the core foundations of a decent side which we had Nigel Clough to thank for building before. If Rowett is the new Nigel where he stabilises us for a couple of seasons before being unable to take us any further then fine, let's take that. I fear if we get rid of Rowett in a mid table position we're just going to be having this exact same conversation next season with a different manager.

You are right, it is going to be a long season with little to play for but the reward is setting up for the season after.

8 minutes ago, lrm14 said:

I was one of those who wanted Mac to stay at the end of last season. He suited our style of play, knew a lot of the players very well and saved us from the claws of an egotistical maniac hell bent on getting us relegated last season. But Mel obviously still holds grudges and felt it was necessary to get rid, or at the very least the prospect of Rowett was too much to turn down. Our style of play sadly has been changing ever since Mac left the first time and it's not coming back for quite a while I feel. Although I'm not happy with us moving away from such an attractive brand of football, I will be happy if it were to yield more success for the club. I'm tired of seeing managers who are known for a somewhat negative approach to football being given a few months before getting the chop for a similar manager peddling their own personal but similar brand. All it's doing is making us worse and worse with every appointment and I'm bored with having a side of mercenaries who have no real identity.

We're due a season at midtable so we can rebuild and I currently think we're going through that phase, which is why I'm so keen on seeing Rowett given a chance to see it off. Unless it looks like he's taking us down I'm very happy to give him the reins this season because at the moment we don't even have the base of a team. We're lacking the core foundations of a decent side which we had Nigel Clough to thank for building before. If Rowett is the new Nigel where he stabilises us for a couple of seasons before being unable to take us any further then fine, let's take that. I fear if we get rid of Rowett in a mid table position we're just going to be having this exact same conversation next season with a different manager.

You are right, it is going to be a long season with little to play for but the reward is setting up for the season after.

Good analysis there....

I'm just not sure that it's leading anywhere and I have the patience!

(not that I have any choice,lol)

2 hours ago, brady1993 said:

Ultimately if I was Mel Morris I'd stick with Rowett for now but would be looking long and hard for somebody to take over next summer, possibly looking for someone to come in as director of football given Mel Morris' original vision of the derby way.

So youd bring in YET ANOTHER manager who wants HIS own team and has to shift out who HE doesn't want  ........then sack him after a handful of games whilst the players are getting slagged off game after game because they aren't thd messiahs you were Hoping for then brinv in another Manager ...........etc    WHAT HAPPENED TO STABILITY ? 

Archived