Cameron Jerome - Signed 18 month deal

DcFc Dyycheee

Sorry to say this but the cold fact is that our forwards wont score because we have no-one good enough in midfield to get the ball to them. This has been said time and time again. Messi is not going to score goals if he's not given the ball, and it wont matter who we put up front, they ain't gonna score either unless midfield is sorted.

• Replies 919
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jerome is undoubtedly a good player, but it's not a position we need to strengthen. 

I don't believe it's the fault of Nugent or Martin, particularly the latter, that we're not getting the best out of them. I guess you could over analyse and see why we aren't getting the most out of a lot of our players, regardless of their position. 

I guess Jerome would add something to our side, which we don't currently have, but I'm not entirely sure it will improve the collective. It's just another different type of player that can play in a different type of way. 

It's guaranteed to be an interesting day tomorrow, nevertheless. 

6 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

I just don't get it...:mellow:

I think you do but like most of us we perhaps don't want to admit it. Rowett wants the ball booting into the channels so wants a striker who can challenge for balls lumped up to him. 

It's hoof ball 101; sit with a deep defence stick, stick two big midfielders in front of them with instructions to lump it up the pitch have two hard working wide players to run channels, have a big lad up top to challenge and have someone feeding off the scraps. And it's God damn awful to watch.

Just now, Carl Sagan said:

(Very) slight improvement on Leon Best. Which I don't feel is what we're after.

Mel continues to bang on about the remit being to increase the value of the squad (as well as promotion). Surely that has to rule this one out?

Slightly harsh given my one legged nan is more than a slight improvement on Leon best, but the general point stands that we should be looking at younger players in more high priority positions. No doubt Jerome is a proven player mind and has never striked me as having attitude problems, but with one day left our attentions should be elsewhere.

11 minutes ago, RiddingsRam said:

I stated earlier the thread that I wouldn't be excited by this signing but your right Mr Tibbs we have to believe in what Rowett wants to do, I trust him so if this is the move Rowett thinks we need then so be it.

Trust everything Rowett does and disregard our own thoughts on each of his decisions? That's an impressive level of faith in one relatively inexperience man.

And little point in having a forum at all, if we should simply agree with everything Rowett does and remain quiet.

3 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Slightly harsh given my one legged nan is more than a slight improvement on Leon best, but the general point stands that we should be looking at younger players in more high priority positions. No doubt Jerome is a proven player mind and has never striked me as having attitude problems, but with one day left our attentions should be elsewhere.

Sounds like we should be considering your one legged nan!

Or we could try and build slowly from the back and listen to 10,000 so called fans complaining. Yes we need a dynamic midfielder, like Bryson was, but stop kidding ourselves that this is Martin isn't doing it now - he's finished. We should cash in for anything that we can reasonably get for him - stick Vydra down the centre, with Lawrence and Weimann playing off him, but not necessarily as out and out wingers. 

9 minutes ago, ramant62 said:

Sorry to say this but the cold fact is that our forwards wont score because we have no-one good enough in midfield to get the ball to them. This has been said time and time again. Messi is not going to score goals if he's not given the ball, and it wont matter who we put up front, they ain't gonna score either unless midfield is sorted.

If we signed Messi, I reckon he would score. 

5 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

I think you do but like most of us we perhaps don't want to admit it. Rowett wants the ball booting into the channels so wants a striker who can challenge for balls lumped up to him. 

It's hoof ball 101.

It's not the Derby way...my season tickets won't be renewed if we start to play the Charles Hughes percentage game. Football's too beautiful for that..

Just now, Ellafella said:

It's not the Derby way...my season tickets won't be renewed if we start to play the Charles Hughes percentage game. Football's too beautiful for that..

I hope I'm wrong I really do but there is a lot of evidence that is the way we are going. The problem is that I think if we do go down this route we could be stuck with it some time, it'll probably bring about ok results enough for Morris to keep backing Rowett. 

It galls me to imagine what we could have been with better management after 14/15 compared to what we are now.

12 minutes ago, ramant62 said:

We don't need a midfield. We're playing the Derby hoof-ball way. The only position that needs replacing is the...

The more I think about this signing, the more it makes sense why we would do it.

He's a 31-year-old player who plays in a position where we aren't really desperate. He's not likely to be on cheap wages and whatever we sign him for will almost certainly not be recouped as his value is just going to decrease each year from now due to his age.

There aren't many reasons to sign him, which is why it makes perfect sense for us to go ahead and sign him. Fits perfectly with our transfer policy of the past couple of seasons.

8 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

It's hoof ball 101; sit with a deep defence stick, stick two big midfielders in front of them with instructions to lump it up the pitch have two hard working wide players to run channels, have a big lad up top to challenge and have someone feeding off the scraps. And it's God damn awful to watch.

I've admitted it. This is how it is now. You'd have to be blind not to see it any other way. 

He's sold Ince, Christie and Hughes; three highly technical players who like time on the ball; they like to play without fear. We've gone for the brutish Wisdom to replace Cyrus, the complete unknown in Lawrence has replaced Tom and we're yet to replace Hughes. In fact, we're not even giving Butterfield that opportunity, nor Bryson. He signed Huddlestone, who whilst capable of some sublime long passing is bringing very littler else to the table unless we're counting the goals he's partly to blame for so far this season based purely on his complete lack of mobility. We have the brittle Thorne to look forward to. A diamond of a player. But brittle. 18 months without action is he? And hardly the most mobile himself. 

There's little pace further forward. I love Russell, but his confidence is shot. He can run at players, but often he does just that. Runs at or into them. Weimann isn't a winger. He's the worst dribbler I've ever seen out wide, and I once saw Carlton Palmer play wide right against us in the 90's which was fun. 

Nugent is busy, a trier, but he's all about finishing chances. Who's creating them? Martin looks a dead duck under Rowett. Knocking 40 yard balls into him or beyond him, that's not going to work. We all know how to use Chrissy. And Bent's a pundit now on Rams telly. 

All I sense is more hoof, less football and a mid table finish without anything to cling to. 

Edit - forgot we'd signed Davies. Who we arguably didn't need, with Pearce and Shackell here. 

Sorry if I'm downbeat, it's against my nature, but I'm feeling exactly that. I don't understand what we're doing. 

Fingers crossed the magic happens tomorrow and beyond. I used to like Paul Daniels. Not a lot.

Archived